Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in italy or switzerland in march...where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Well i am going to go to europe skiing for a few days in march and i cannot decide where to go. Ive done alittle searching and the jungfrau region of switzerland looks nice, and in italy val d'isere looks nice, anyone have any other opinions on this? thanks. it has to be in switzerland or italy, but it can be anywhere in either of those.
Brendan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Graphixaddict, welcome to snowHeads!
Val d'Isere is in France, so I wouldn't go there if you want to be in Italy. Certainly the Jungfrau has some of the finest scenery in Switzerland. I'd go there early to mid March to get the best snow conditions. Wengen and Grindelwald are the main resorts. I'd stay in Wengen.
Some of the most beautiful mountains in Italy are in the Dolomites (Selva, Corvara etc). Big ski area, lots of easy to medium runs. Again, I'd avoid that area after mid-March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
following on from from this I have just had to cancel my annual trip in Feb and will now have to go during the school hols at Easter w/c 26th March having never skied this late in the season what are my options. Is it simply the higher the better book last minute and chase the snow or are many of the resorts still OK.
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bladeski, no, very few resorts have great skiing at Easter. Rule out ski areas where the lifts are not networked above 1800m. I've always taken the family in that second week of the Easter hols and used Val d'Isere, Les Arcs, Zermatt. Others such as Courchevel, Val Thorens, Saas Fee, Cervinia should be fine, too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Graphixaddict, I'm with David Goldsmith, on this, choose Wengen for some of the best scenery in any ski resort in the world Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DG Orf, that's what you think because you've never been to La Rosiere, I don't know of anywhere else where you can see Mont Blanc, Monte Rosa and the Matterhorn all in one vista. At 1850 metres the resort is hardly overlooked, so it's not like valley villages that are dark for long periods and where you have to look up at the time. From our terrace we can see 11 peaks over 3,000 metres in a single panorama, as far as Espace Killy in one direction and Bellecote glacier in another.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, DGOrf may be totally Wengen obsessed but in this case he's right, I've been to both and the scenery in La Rosiere isn't even close IMHO. Anyway, Chamonix is better than either wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plake, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personally I find Chamonix too enclosed and too dark for long periods.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok I'll prove it, go and look at my website for some big pictures of the area
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hey, thanks for the great replies! lol good call david on Val d'Isere being in france, guess i must of blanked out when i found that one while searching for places. I am starting to lean towards switzerland and the areas you have mentioned, i was actually in Gimmelwald (below murren) last summer, but i was backpacking and it was june, so the skiing was done, but it is such a beautiful area, id love to go back. haha, those pictures are great, ive actually eaten at the big building in this picture http://uk.geocities.com/david.orf@btinternet.com/pictures/Blumental.jpg which is a restaurant!. i uploaded a few of my pictures from that area from the summertime so you can see the difference http://public.fotki.com/Graphixaddict/switzerland/ one of them is taken from the porch of that restaurant. that stretch was all green and blanketed with wild flowers when i was there. I am curious though, the skiing there seems to be alittle more "organic" than the ski resorts of north america, seems like you can kindaa ski from one area to a different "resort" all together, can anyone explain this, or maybe i am wrong? When i was there, it was hard to picture what the sking layout would look like compared to an american style resort. any info would be great, thanks,
Brendan
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you go to http://www.wengen.com/skimap/jtsr.html you will find a complete map of the pistes in the area
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey D G Orf, when i was there it was like 20 to take the cable car just up to murren alone, when you ski there, is the cable car included? or do you just use the ski lifts? it is a very different layout than the US resorts thats for sure!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Graphixaddict, yep cable cars, trains and lifts all included
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
how bout the difficulty level? im not looking for anything extreme, but i like nice steep chalenging terrain over just gliding down blue's and green's.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Something like 55% red runs 10% black and the rest blue, so not a huge amount that's steep and challenging I'm afraid
snow report
Graphixaddict, I don't have any experience of North America resorts, but a lot of the European ski resorts are linked in clusters. So, for example, in France Val Thorens, Meribel/Mottaret and Courchevel are on a linked lift system covering 3 valleys, imaginatively called "The 3 Valleys". The area covers about half a dozen distinct resorts.
snow report
If you are not looking for too much of a challenge but just lots of fun, you can't beat Cervinia. You are pretty much guaranteed plenty of snow down to resort level right through to mid April. We will be there end Feb for the 3rd time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy