Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dagnamit!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sitting at work, in Cheltenham, looking at my shiny new Atomic SX:10's that are propped up next to my desk. It's 30 days, 14 hours, 51 minutes and 21 seconds before they'll get used. Great.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try skiing them down the railings outside your office on the way home wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hyweljenkins, reading the title, I thought you were after some sort of glove Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wandered around Cheltenam town centre with them - couldn't find any snow anywhere. Still, I work at the top of a five storey building, so I might give the stairs a try later.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whats supposed to be the difference then between the SX:10 and last seasons SX:9's??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno - colour, perhaps? My other skis are 12 year old Dynastar Radical Extreme, so these are somewhat different, even compared to what, I suppose, was a very early "carver".

I've got a review from last month's DMS&S magazine that I'll copy later if you're interested.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that would be good. I bought SX:9's last season and don't remember there being 10's then so I was imagining that the 10 is probably almost the same as last years 9!? I can't wait to get back out and give them a thrash, they're so much better than the silly salomon rubber bands I was on before!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hyweljenkins, given the state of the snow at the moment, I would think that you would want 30 days before you had to use them!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adam Holt, hyweljenkins, have a look here
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins, Adam Holt, SX10s are the same shape as SX9s but the same basic construction as the SX11s (just not quite as viciously stiff)

Just put the bindings on mine, soddin’ things weigh more than the skis!

OFF TOMORROW Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, my bro in law skied on the SX11 in La Ros week before last and rated them massively - even managed a silver in the local fleche. B@stard Twisted Evil

Watch the achilles Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, you're right about the weight. Mine arrived separately. I picked the skis up with one arm, then went for the bindings. Bleedinell. Just walked from work t'car (about a mile) with then. Feel much fitter now. I'm just off to test them on the stairs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here you go (DMS&S January 2005)
Quote:

Skiercross advanced (levels 5-Cool
Overall likeability ***** (out of 5)

The lowdown:
Two years ago, Atomic took the then fledgling skiercross market sector by storm with the universally acclaimed SX:11. Last year a baby brother, the SX:9, was added. Our testers found it a bit software and easier to handle, and the curvier sidecut made it easier to turn at lower speeds. This year, Atomic has expanded its Supercross range (SX is the FIS abbreviation for "skiercross") yet further with the addition of the SX:10. The skis have the curvy shape of the SX9, combined with the high performance construction materials of the SX:11 (which we haven't tested yet this year). These include magnesium, which is one of Atomic's major innovations this season. In the SX:11, the magnesium is used in Power Channels, in the SX:10 in Power Rods. Both are tubes of metal running internally the length of the ski, one over each edge. But the Rods are thinner than the channels, allowing the skis to be more supple. Our testers loved the SX:10, and in terms of pure performance per pound it's certainly better value than the Atomic SX:B5 (see skiercross expert section). It won most of the on-piste criteria in our test, but was judged to be weaker in the power and bumps and slightly less amenable at lower speeds than the Volkl Supersport 5*.

Tester's Quotes
Pros
- Grip like limpets. Put them on edge and hang on for a thrilling ride
- Can be used by high- or low-end skiers
- Amazingly responsive and springs straight after each short turn
- Great entry-level race carver

Cons
- You have got to work them

Strengths
Long turns - 1st
Straight-line stability - 1st
High speed - 1st
Smoothness - 1st
Groomed piste - 1st
Short turns - joint 1st
Edge hold - 2nd
Liveliness/responsiveness - 2nd
All terrain/snow versatility - 2nd
Low speed - joint 2nd

Weaknesses
Powder/off-piste - 4th
Mogul performance - 4th

Considering that the Volkl SS5* is £170 more expensive, I think these are superb for the money. I don't want them to be great in moguls or powder just yet as I'm more interested in improving my skiing at the moment.

As for having to work them, well, I usually ski quite aggressively anyway and have plenty of strength in my legs to persuade them in to my way of thinking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins, that's pretty much why I chose them. The binding settings din chart was very interesting and goes a long way to explain the state of my achillies Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy