Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies Ski's - help please!

Poster: A snowHead
As my better half is now looking for some new planks, I'd appreciate any help and suggestions in the provisional shopping list I've put together for her.

She's skied for at least thirteen years that I know of, is a good intermediate who can ski steep runs, bumps and off piste a little when pushed (ahem, by me Madeye-Smiley ), but does like to be in the "comfort zone" of reds and easier blacks at medium speeds.

She would like something that would help in deeper snow if we hit good conditions, otherwise it's pistes most of the time.

My list so far, based on magazine reviews, is;

Atomic M:9 puls
Dynastar Exclusive 8 (I think we'd have to buy in resort)

Atomic SX:9 puls
Head iXRC 800

K2 True Luv
Rossignol Zenith Z3
Atomic B:9
Blizzard Spirit 5 ( I've found these at a very cheap price Very Happy )

Comments or other suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks

Marc
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tru Luvs

(but then I'm biased)

Also, it's a properly designed ladies ski which handles like a dream (according to the ladies I know who ski them)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"As my better half is now looking for some new planks, I'd appreciate any help and suggestions in the provisional shopping list I've put together for her"

Yawn yawn yawn - skiing is as sexist as every other place - pray tell what are "ladies skis"?

Do they have flowers on them like some I saw in Meribel last week?
Do they smell nicer than "Man's skis"?
Do they come in pastel colours?

Cut the crap lads, the skis she needs are just the right ones for her skiing ability and style, weight, height and aspirations just the same as they are for the men.

I ski on Atomic 9.22s and they are fabulous both on and off piste and on ice as long as the edges are sharp. My fella also skis on these although we bought our skis entirely independently.

I also love mine to death as they are a great fiery orange colour - really suitable for my personality............
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcat, most of the "crap" behind ladies skis is to do with the different design of them to suit the anatomical differences between sexes.
But, as you say, the right ski for the right person.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowcat wrote:
pray tell what are "ladies skis"?

Errr.........ski's for my lady!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi marc - you might want to look at this thread if you haven't already done so http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4142

I've narrowed my choice down to the Volkl 4 star or the women's equivalent, the Volkl Supersport Gamma. I was also considering the Rossignol B1s which seem to be highly praised but as I don't go off piste (yet!) it seemed a bit pointless. As your good lady does occasionally, this might be a good one to consider.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Women are in general lighter/shorter than men, and have a different centre of gravity. However, since most skis come in a wide variety of sizes, I agree that your average woman would be fine on smaller-end men's skis, and your average man fine on larger-end women's skis.
As for the graphics, skis are in general prety androgenous anyways. It makes more of a difference with snowboards. Women are more likely than men to ride a doard with a unicorn on it, and men more likely than women to ride a board with a flaming skull. Either of these choices are pretty bad taste though; I personally prefer the more abstract designs, which are probably just as likely to be chosen by men or women.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My skiing level sounds similar and have just spent a week on the K2 burning luvs which I've just bought - great pair of skis and would recommend them!
snowcat - it may have been my flowery skis that you saw in meribel last week. Admittedly I would have preferred them without the flowers - but hopefully means that less likely to be nicked as most blokes will be too embarrassed to be seen carrying them away........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
k, Very Happy Very Happy . I have flowery skis too, again not thro' choice, but they didn't have any my size in the non-flowery version.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cathy Coins, would you say one has better edge on ice than the other? bolide has been asking for 4*s for a year now, and her 9'18s are almost ready for the bin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't be seen dead on a pair of skis with flowers on them (sorry Helen Beaumont, and k, ). there's nothing wrong with normal skis for women - it's just difficult to buy short enough ones, unless you do it early in the season.

As usual most ski stuff is manufactured for men - grrrrrr
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd have flowers on my skis, I mean why not ? I'm secure in my masculinity Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, sorry but I wouldn't presume to advise not having actually skied them Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, thanks for that. We nipped over to Castleford this morning to demo a few and ended up trying the Bandit B1w and the Volkl Supersport Gamma. Jo liked them both, but preferred the Volkl's for their grip and shorter radius turns.

comprex, yep, she would say that the Volkls were better on harder snow - she described the B1's as more "slippery".

snowcat, the Supersport Gamma is, I'm told, 20% lighter, 20% less stiff and has the bindings mounted differently to the mens version - the Supersport 4* - to take into account the physiological differences between men and women. The ski's my wife will be ditching are Atomic 9:18's in 175 - mens version. These are the first women specific ski's she's ever tried, but she likes them a lot despite the pink stars Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks marc gledhill in turn for telling us what she thought of them! Glad she likes the Supersport gamma as I think that's the one I'm almost definitely probably going to get - until I change my mind Very Happy If only I lived near some snow where I could try them out before buying.......are you able to get much impression of a ski at a snowdome? I always imagined the slope was so short and gentle that you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference (well, for someone of my not very good expertise anyway).

And I must admit the design of the Gamma is VERY offputting - just thinking that hopefully they'll be so covered with snow most of the time that no-one will see them Very Happy
snow report
Cathy Coins, I agree it's not as good a test as on "proper" slopes, but I think it's still better than just having to work from reviews. When you ski a few runs on one type of ski, then change to another, the difference can be huge.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, we may have to make a trip to MK then - didn't really fancy it cos of the numbers that I'm sure will be there at weekends. On the bright side, we have our SCGB 10% Ellis B discount voucher still to use - with M. Coins also buying new skis we should save ourselves about £100 Laughing Laughing AND I just sold my skis on ebay - they were the first I'd bought & I didn't really know much about skis but thought it would be cheaper than to keep hiring them. They cost me £180 in 2002, I've skied 6 weeks on them & I sold them for £142 - not bad I reckon!
snow conditions
My better half has fallen in love with some Atomic B9 Puls Lady..... based entirely on how they look wink .
ski holidays
marc gledhill, thanks, Any chance of a comparison between SS Gamma and 4* ?
snow report
I just demo-ed the K2 Burnin' Luv and also the Rossignol B2 (Women's)...both were awesome skis, good in bumps and on the groomed. This particular K2 can be very fun to carve...she might like it. Didn't get to try them in any deep snow, though the Rossi is supposedly good in that as well. I've tried many women's skis recently and found that because I'm used to a "unisex/men's" ski, my weight tends to be too far forward on the less aggressive women's skis. But so far, I like both the Burnin' Luv and B2...regardless of graphics. Smile
snow conditions
Poseidon04 wrote:
.... because I'm used to a "unisex/men's" ski, my weight tends to be too far forward on the less aggressive women's skis.....

It might be that you need to alter your technique a little. As I understand it all modern skis now prefer you to keep your weight in the middle of the ski and initiate turns by moving your body across the skis, rather than unweighting and moving your body forward to weight the front of the ski. You then increase the edge angle by trying to get your rear end in towards the center of the turn and as low as possible. This is actually an easier (physically) way to turn and leads to a better carve.

I've only just started trying this, but it does work well. Have a try snowHead
snow conditions
I have been going towards that technique and it is working very well, and the "modern" skis do make it fun to carve Smile
snow conditions
marc gledhill, correct, but women's skis tend to be softer (assuming that we can't put any pressure on a ski - bah!) therefore most women's skis will tend to turn too easily if you're a half decent skier. If you want to improve, learning not to pressure a ski is surely not a good idea?

OK I do it for a living, but I'm not a powerful skier (under 9st), and find that modern skis of all sorts are fine. Of course there are skis I consider "men's" because they're clumsy - like the B2 or the X Scream .......
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy