Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is a Damp Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As I'm still trying to narrow my shopping list for a new ski, I'd like some help with the terminology please.

Suprisingly, to me anyway, of the ski's I've tried the Rossi B2 still looks good. It's main detractors say thay it's too "Damp", and is too soft - particularly it's tail.

What does this mean, no rebound energy to pop you up and over into the new turn? If that's the case I'm confused as I thought we were all into movement of COM not unweighting etc. anymore.

And my supplementary - should I get 176 or 182? (5'11" 13.5 stone 190lbs).

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc gledhill, A damp ski is one that has been left out overnight ! Laughing (sorry, someone had to say it)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski, Very Happy I was going to say something like that in my post, but I thought better of it Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always thought the phase was "damp squid" or is it finally time to remove some wax from my ears??? NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, a damp ski is like long travel suspension on a car - great if you want a comfortable ride, but if you're wanting transmission of the road, and better high speed grip, then it's not as good.
Salomon are famous for producing damp skis for consumers - making the skier feel like they are a better skier, because the ski has a big sweet spot, and is soft enough to mean you can be well forward or back, and yet it won't throw you.

I wouldn't say the B2 is THAT damp. It's a very good ski if you only want one, and are more interested in more of the mountain than just going flat out on piste.

As for your supplementary, I'm virtually the same height/weight, and my piste skis are 170 (OK, I mean my NEW piste skis - my 3Vs are 176, but they are for sale). My off-piste ones are 179.

I think 182 is overkill. (unless you put on about 5 stone in weight)
In fact, I'd argue that the 176 is too long as well, but the old schoolers will be shouting at me if I do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks, yes I am after having one ski for everything.

So a damp ski is good for crud and other uneven surfaces then, as you won't get thrown about as much?

176 too long Shocked I was hoping for some floatation in deeper snow Confused . Never mind the old schoolers, the maggots will be calling you too Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill wrote:
So a damp ski is good for crud and other uneven surfaces then, as you won't get thrown about as much?

Well, it's the difference between letting the snow dictate what the ski does and letting you dictate.
Personally, in crud, I want to ski through it, with a bit of power, so I tend to go for stiffer skis.

marc gledhill wrote:
176 too long Shocked I was hoping for some floatation in deeper snow Confused . Never mind the old schoolers, the maggots will be calling you too Laughing

176 will be more than enough for Euro powder - as I said earlier, I use my Pistols (179) for powder, but that's only for Utah/Wyoming type champagne powder, not Euro stuff. Even when on Oh God, I was using my 3Vs (which are basically a slalom ski, and a lot thinner than the B2!)
The maggots can say what they want. (and they frequently do) If you want to talk to all mountain skiers who aren't just about showing off to the other boys, then ask the Epic guys!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing yep, he bit. Now to just reel him in Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I demo'd the B2's last year and bought them this summer in 170cm. I'm 5'10" and just under 12 stone. Even a crap beginner like myself just seems to enjoy them on every type of snow, the slightly damp action gets you out of trouble quite a bit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

176 will be more than enough for Euro powder...

Well, I'm about a stone heavier than marc, and skiing Dynastar 8000s at 178 I really sank into the soft stuff at Courchevel over New Year, but otherwise they were lovely....so I've just won me a pair of 184s (the same length as my now-defunct Sad BanditXXs, which did me just fine) Cool Very Happy .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy