Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes / Please help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about hiring a car to get from Geneva to Tignes can anyone advise on what like the roads are is this a good idea ? Any tips would i be better with a train or a bus ??

Thanks
Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dave_wick, not sure on the roads, though I guess at the moment they'll be fairly clear. As for cars, I'm sure you know, but the resort likes to limit car access and provides covered parking for about 2,500 vehicles. The weekly cost is €69 and you'll be expected to use the buses to get around the resort. You can book a spsce on-line via the Tignes website. If you click here, it'll take you straight there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What would you do ?
Bus/train
or car ??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
can you get a train to Bourg St Maurice? if so, i would do that as it is easy to get to Tignes from there (bus or taxi).

you won't need a car in Tignes unless you want to get to Val D'Isere in the evening etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tony Lane wrote:
can you get a train to Bourg St Maurice? if so, i would do that as it is easy to get to Tignes from there (bus or taxi).

you won't need a car in Tignes unless you want to get to Val D'Isere in the evening etc.

Geneva to BSM is a bit of a nightmare by train. I looked into it one year and really it's best avoided. I'm sure it's been discussed before.

How much does the big car park in Val Claret cost to park? If that's free and no heavy dumps of snow are forecast (it isn't covered) then that might be an option. Of course if you like digging out your car you might like to ignore the weather forecast altogether. snowHead

Cost up how much a taxi would be and how much a car will be and take the cheapest option. I always did the car/underground car parking option, but that was for long weekends (to Val D, but the distance/car parking costs work out the same for Tignes and Val D and the route is the same).

The road from GVA - Tignes is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I've only ever driven it outwith transfer days and it's fine, however I'd imagine it'd get pretty well blocked on transfer day, particularly the route via the lake. There are two main routes. A longer route via Chambery, which is motorway all the way and a route via Annecy which is less distance but on slower roads for some of the way. Provided there are no hold ups they both take about the same time. I prefer the Annecy route as the scenery is far better, especially by the lake.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave, unless you need a car whilst in Tignes, or there are several of you, the best option is bus/coach. You can book this on the web --- ALPSKIBUS.COM I think.

Yes it will take a little longer, but it's way cheaper.

If you do go for car hire - make sure it comes with chains or snow tires. Take a set of gloves and a (head) torch to help fitting them if you need to.

The French side of Geneva Airport car hire is allegedly cheaper - but you then must avoid the Swiss Autoroute when returning the car.

The only free car park in Tignes is the one at Le Brevieres - the rest are all payable.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From Geneva to Abertville it is ordinary French roads reasonably fast except on the section round the Annecy Lake. The only motorway available is the section coming out of the airport into the French side and a short piece between Ugine and Albertville

Tarentaise has 9 large resorts and the road has to be cleared of snow at all time for commercial reasons.

17 miles dual carriage is available from Albertville to Moutier.

Another 17 miles of single lane from Moutier to Bour St Maurice.

Thereafter it is 18 miles to Tignes also on single lane.

I single out the second 17 miles because that stretch of the road is wider and faster than the last 18 miles to Tignes as it has to serve Paradiski (Les Arcs + La Plagne), La Rosiere and Ste Foy also.

There are about 3 to 4 hair-pin bends in the last 18 miles which is generally better than going up Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thoren or La Plagne. The latter has 21 hair pin bends.

Parking is indeed a problem but places in the Funicular are free. From experience Tignes/Val D is the least parking friendly in the Tarentaise as it seems to offer the least spaces.

It is a leisurely 2.5 hours drive from the Geneva airport to Bourg. However I would start the journey very early from Tignes (6am if possible) at the changeover day as the traffic is extremely heavy (as though half the road has collapsed!).

If one has a car in Tignes it is a relaxing day trip to ski Les Arcs (18 miles) or La Rosiere (16 miles to the lowest chairlift). Even 3 Vallees is only about 45 miles away (parking at 1300, La Tania or Meribel).

Geographically Bourg St Maurice is the ideal place to launch any day trip within the Tarentaise and the accommodation cost is possibly the cheapest too for people coming with own transport.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are 4 of us i think the cars about £300 im afrais the roads will be bad ! never been befor its all new to me !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dave_wick, 95% of your journey will be on blacktop, low level, busy roads with buses, cyclists, trucks and cars. Nothing to worry about except traffic jams on Saturdays. You should get snowchains with the hire car (make sure they are in the boot and don't bury them with luggage) and if the weather is bad the Police may insist they are fitted for the last little bit up to the resort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The outdoor car park at Val Claret is certainly bookable, as I think are all the rest. The driving is unlikely to be problematic unless there's a massive dump at the time. Public transport is obviously a more relaxing start to your hol. and generally a good thing, but if it's not convenient, driving should be fine.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
dave_wick, Have you tried www.sixti.de for car hire ? I've booked one for my summer hols in July, 100 quid for 8 days all in (including their cleaning fee). Much cheapness if 4 of you can squeeze into an astra estate.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_wick,

The European cars usually have snow tyre which is good enough even if there is a thin layer of snow. In fact the majority of the European and Scandinavian skiers get by with just a right set of tyres. My brother skis around in a VW van in Norway and doesn't even have a set of chain.

Snowchains are a good insurnace policy because with them the car can dig itself out after a heavy dump before the road can be cleared. Skiers can't always wait for the snow to clear.

Over the 6 years driving around in the Alpes I only needed to put on chains possibly only once per every skiing trip. Although I have graduated to a 4x4 I still carry a set but the 4x4 has done 3 trips without needing it. I would make sure the hired car has the snow tyres (Zig zag micro grooves) and plenty of tread before driving off. If I have to do more than one resort then a set of snowchain would give a lot of confidence.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy