Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland's ski areas show signs of action

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not much yet, but the huge storms up north have left some snow on the hills, with useful in-filling of the high corries. Cairngorm, Glenshee, The Lecht and Nevis Range are operating to a limited extent but it's still touch-and-go for the season to really kick into action. At the time of reporting, Cairngorm was only running the Ptarmigan t-bar up top (with the funicular to get there, of course), and The Lecht (often quick to capitalise on what's available) is running 5 lifts.

Will winter finally get a grip?

Snow updates and reports on www.ski-scotland.com www.highland-instinct.co.uk www.winterhighland.com

All reports, or links to reports, welcome.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-01-05 12:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should think Scotland might get more snow than France over the next week.
latest report
 brian
brian
It's been mega-frustrating so far. Quite a few decent sized dumps snowHead all followed by unbelievably rapid mild rainy thaws Sad

The beginnings of a base forming now, so guess what ? Yep, freezing level above summits and rain forecast for Saturday !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This chain of damp squib winters has, as far as I know, lasted 15 years now - with one or two notable exceptions. I regard this as solid evidence of artificial climate change, because giving that scientific argument the benefit of the doubt seems the only safe thing to do. So our Scottish Prime Minister (sadly a non-skier) must be asked - why is the government not now committed to achieving its Kyoto target?

No votes in CO2 reduction? Who's he kidding?

Sorry. Politics over.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, hmmm. The government can only achieve the Kyoto or any other CO2 reduction target by persuading or compelling people to change their ways. As we've discussed before, skiing trips (especially for people living in remote snowless islands) are not exactly environmentally friendly in this respect, and in the overall scheme of things might be regarded as a frivolous luxury. Perhaps ardent skiers could gain an indulgence by agreeing to keep our houses 1 degree colder than everyone else, or cycling to work every other day!
latest report
 brian
brian
According to Alan@winterhighland, we're due a flipover to a negative NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation I think??) which if he's right would mean more good winters than bad for the next 15 or so years.

Still, there is hope, 2001 was fairly bad in January but a cracking February turned it into one of the best seasons I can remember.

Current GFS charts are showing Atlantic westerlies for most of next week, could bring some snow, not deperately mild. The longer range this morning was a belter, Northerlies and North Easterlies for about a week from the 22nd onwards. Sadly it'll probably be back to showing Sw-erlies tomorrow ......
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hasn't global warming being happening for 300,000 years or so... since god created the earth Laughing

Most things in life happen in cycles.... I wonder if folk were worried about global warming in the 1920 and 30's when (apparently) the UK had a run of mild, damp winters.... with a few exceptions of course ?

I do agree that Global warming is a very serious issue of all us. But the effect it will have on our little Island.... no one knows.... did someone rule out the theory of the freezer dial being switched from defrost back to max once the North Atlantic Drift switches off...?

I wonder how many skiers worry about global warming as they fly off to the Alps/US in their mega cheap, low tax, super polluting jets ?

Fingers crossed for some decent snow in Scotland... at least I can walk there snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy