Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis which like ice!!

Poster: A snowHead
I´m thinking about buying a new pair of skis to complement the SUPERB pair of Salomon Ellipse 9 boots I´ve just taken to France with me (5´7", male, 22, 67kg, fit, somewhere between advanced and expert skier, mostly Europe, like: speed, performance turns, moguls, modest jumps, off piste, and showing off stylish technique) and am currently looking at Atomic´s SX and Metron ranges, but...

... I HATE ICE!

All the rental skis I´ve ever had (with the exception of some nice Volkls) slide away from me when I hit icy patches, and more often than not I lose control, spak around like a beginner, slide down the mountain instead of ski, and end up back bottom over tit. I desperately want a pair of decent all-mountain skis which hold an edge however crap the snow. I´ve been told lots of conflicting things on the grapevine (e.g. Salomons are rubbish on ice but Rossis are amazing) and would appreciate any advice from anyone in the know who has similar feelings about ice.

As a second thing, I´ve seen some "Atomic Respection" skis advertised very cheaply on the Internet (http://www.wiredsport.com, but other companies too). The sellers claim they´re a variant on the SX10 but I´m dubious as to their quality - why would all these discount warehouses have so many of them and be selling them off so cheap if they were as good as normal SX10s? If anyone knows anything about these skis I´d be very interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks,

Dom
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dmott, I've been very impressed by the ability of my Head skis to turn and grip on the hardest surfaces, the only thing they've not been able to grip on is a sheet of blue ice, but I doubt that any ski could grip on that, so impressed that I've got a new pair of Head GS skis this year
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Salomons probably felt rubbish because they had too much flex, most of them do. The Volkls have a particular reputation for good handling on ice that's prety much justified, personally though (as I've been banging on before) I'm appalled by the fragility of them.

The guys I took out at the weekend hired some Heads and some Bandits both of which were fine on ice. I've got some Atomics (11.22's) and they're great but I've not tried the Metrons yet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My old Atomics loved ice, more than snow in fact. Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys, sounding like Heads and Atomics leading the way. Agree with Volkl fragility - seen more than one pair fall apart.

Anyone got any useful advice on these "Respections" then? Seems silly to buy a pair of SX10s from a shop here for 3 times the price if these ones on the internet perform as well, but I am wary of getting two useless planks of wood spray-painted Atomic colours if they don´t match up to the SX´s specs...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to be terrified of ice, but now I quite like its predictability. I ski on Heads, but found Rossi Bandits superb on ice too. Warning! I'm no expert!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not much help in deciding which but....I have Atomics and Mr HH has Heads both are fantistic in all snow conditions! I think the Heads just might have the edge....but that might just be because Mr HH is a better skier than me.... wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMHO Volkl 724 Pro

Endof.

Will cope admirably with all the above in the hands (feet) of a competant skiier, as long as you're not expecting Line Mothership-esque performance off piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, can you point me in the direction of the whereabouts of your banging on about the fragility of Volkls - as the proud owner of a pair of trusty old P40s (which I've not managed to snap yet snowHead ) I'd be interested to know where they are weak?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ice doesn't normally bother me either but at the weekend I was having a hard time having not edged my skis since before Christmass, I'd been more concentrating on filling the holes and didn't edge at all.

For which I deserve scorn and derision Very Happy I do know better, I even had the wrong wax on, having opted for a low temperature wax which didn't run as well the all purpose stuff the hire shop put on the skis my friends had. It was the block of wax in front of me when I did the skis so I used it rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fischer RX series or the race models are very effective on ice, as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never really found skis particularly good or bad. That said, I can't recall skiing anything other than race skis in good tune.

IMHO Much more depends on that state of ski tune - and the skier Madeye-Smiley I'd suggest more weight on downhill ski, more angulation and a more centralled (?) stance (i.e. position where you won't fall over if you lose grip). Hated ice when I couldn't ski, rather like it now that I can ski a bit better.

Also would suggest Rossi or Atomic slalom skis - only as I like them myself. I would guess that the lower you go in terms of "ski-level" the more likely you are to find them slipping as the torsional rigidity is reduced to make them easier to ski and more forgiving. Which means you are going to compromise to an extent to get that grippy performance. Had a pair of Turquoise 7Ss in '89 that would carve ice-skate tracks on blue (frozen river) ice - most satisfying. Not a good hangover ski though (hee hee).

Anyone recall the K2 E.I.S. (Extreme Ice Ski)? Anyone ski it? Was it fun?

P.S. Very suspicious of the "Respection" - avoid avoid unless you can get to test it somehow!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I try to avoid ice as much as possible and as I only ski in the Tartentaise valley by and large that's usually possible. The best skis I ever had for dealing with ice were a pair of K2 race skis, circa mid 90's, which were very stiff torsionally. Since then I've come to accept that most decent all-mountain skis are capable of dealing with ice, ie they have sufficient torsional strength not to twist and they are short enough not to bend too dramatically. I was a able to prove this on a very icy piste with a 77 degree pitch in La Thuile a couple of weeks ago. The pisteur who I overtook could have probably have out skied me but he was carrying 2 snow cannon nozzles at the time. I think this is more about the user than the equipment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, 77 degree pitch? Wow!! Didn't you fall off?

I only had to learn to like ice cos I learned and skied mostly in Scotland until I left Uni. Ice, rocks, heather, plastic, more rocks, more ice. Ah the Joys...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
obviously a typo Very Happy
snow report
ise, yeah, I thought so, but one lives in hope. Maybe there's a piccy...
ski holidays
Don't get Sugar Daddies!
I've discovered they _really_ don't like ice wink
snow conditions
David No I didn't it's pista 2 down to La Thuile village which is normally just hard, this time it was hard and nasty.
latest report
it's not 77' though is it?
latest report
The entry point most certainly is, it then gets a little easier but for about 200- 300 metres you're on one of the steepest pitches in the Alps, certainly steeper than Chavanettes, although it doesn't grow any moguls. I believe that's beacause most skieres are too terrified to turn.
snow conditions
you need this I think
latest report
I'm sorry 77deg for 200-300 M is almost a sheer drop, over that length of slope you drop vertically between 195M and 292M ? thats a blasted cliff ! Anyone who fell near the top of the slope would be dead, 300 M is 1000 ft !

Are you sure you don't meen 77% gradient that would be closer to 35 degrees, steep for skiers, the end of the Lauberhorn race track is about this angle, but not impossible. If you insist that the gradient is 77 degrees we want pictures please Laughing
latest report
I have bought a pair of Atomic Supercross X5 and I've got to say they are fantastic. They are 158cm (I'm a carving nut) but are very stable and great on all terrain and at £450 not too expensive for what they are. The only down side is they are bloody heavy when you're lugging them up the road after a few beers on the early one.
Brooksie
ski holidays
Just out of interest, where is the steepest groomed ski run in the world?

Is the Harakiri at Mayerhofen a contender at 78%?

Where is the steepest marked run? Is "the wall" at Avoriaz a contender? How steep is corbetts?
snow report
The wall is the steepest pisted run, but I'll bet there are steeper marked runs that are not bashed.
snow report
Steepest on piste I think I've skied was the top section of Ripcord at Mount Snow - apparently something like 57 degrees. Icy. And Bumpy.

I like ice and I lurve bumps and I really lurve steep, but I had to do it twice to prove to myself that I could do it more than once without chickening at the top. Just took a little more positive commitment than normally necessary.

I hear that there's a 61 degree trail on the US east coast.
snow report
77 degrees and I'd want a rope...!!

But this is a good idea for a thread.

I seem to remember Mont Gele as pretty steep at the top and the left side of Mont fort but haven't been back there for ages. Granted there are not groomed but if you don't get there in the first few cable cars they pretty much are anyway..!!

A friend of mine says Corbett's is all about the jump in and if you have the bottle for that then skiing it is less of an issue. Haven't seen it myself but it looks about 10-15ft drop so might be able to cowboy over that if the snow was soft.

I can think of a few very steep pitches on blacks, maybe 50m or so but not the lenght of 200m plus.
ski holidays
Val Mesdi is pretty steep at the top, the rule from the guides is do not fall in the first 100 metres and you will be fine. Guess what? I fell over standing looking at it, apart from that it was not too bad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Malfatta in Alagne is very steep at the entry, maybe upto 55' and guides will not let you ski it. You are roped in but that is more because of the rocks than anything else..

But then one or two colouirs that lead off of Envers du plan are very steep as well but a fall will mostly take you right to the bottom. In good snow you can stop quite quickly. It is quite narrow as well.
snow conditions
I found the atomic SX were simply outstanding on ice and very stable at speed. They were an utter nightmare in bumps, impossible off piste and short radius turn required a lot of work.
I am by no mean an expert skier though!
ski holidays
Boardski wrote:
I found the atomic SX were simply outstanding on ice and very stable at speed. They were an utter nightmare in bumps, impossible off piste and short radius turn required a lot of work.
I am by no mean an expert skier though!

Obviously not the same as my Atomic Supercross skis which are great in bumps and for short turns.
snow conditions
Brooksie wrote:
Val Mesdi is pretty steep at the top, the rule from the guides is do not fall in the first 100 metres and you will be fine. Guess what? I fell over standing looking at it, apart from that it was not too bad.

Fairly steep, but not as steep as some of the lines JT mentions. Not as steep as the Face on the Grand Montets either which can be horrific for ice, the steepest iciest pitch I've ever skied by a long way.
snow report
ise wrote:

Fairly steep, but not as steep as some of the lines JT mentions. Not as steep as the Face on the Grand Montets either which can be horrific for ice, the steepest iciest pitch I've ever skied by a long way.

The face must be the pitch you get to coming right out of the cable car (looking up the mountain) It is not particuarly steep, probably about 35 degrees. If you ski under the cable car from the restau it is a bit steeper, around 40 I would guess. Most blacks in the alps top out at 35 degrees even for short pitches.

As a general rule you can take most estimates, especially from tourist boards, and take a good 10 degrees of them.

Still as you mention above, if the slope is ice or verglas even a 25 pitch can be quite frightening. If you fall on ice on anything above 35 degrees it is impossible to self arrest your slide, above 45 degrees this applies to spring snow.
ski holidays
G2 in obertauern has to be a contender for the steepest groomed run.

Bob
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
The face must be the pitch you get to coming right out of the cable car (looking up the mountain) It is not particuarly steep, probably about 35 degrees. If you ski under the cable car from the restau it is a bit steeper, around 40 I would guess. Most blacks in the alps top out at 35 degrees even for short pitches.

The line I mean is La Face on the Pendant glacier, it's directly under the lift. It's nearer 40' from memory and crevassed for added interest. The ice and crevasses are the real challenge of course.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy