Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adopting a strategic low expectation of good snow......

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided that all this worrying about whether there will be snow or not in Flaine (where I fly to in a weeks time) over the next week is futile and it won't change a thing. So I'm adopting a new strategy....... I'm lowering my expectations. I think that there will very poor snow cover with lots of ice and bare patches and very few runs open. I'm renting "Silver" grade skis and I'm going to enjoy being in the mountains. So if there happens to be a bit of snow between now and then I'll be delighted but as I won't be at work if there isn't I'll still have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Looking at the latest GFS run, it would seem that there won't be anything significant in the next week or so, but from the 21st onwards there is a chance of a fair bit of snowfall, esp. for the northern Alps.

So the snow may well be just timing itself for your arrival snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, So long as it's not gale force wind and bizzards I'll be happy! We had the same last year, the week before we went it rained for most of the week and turned to snow just before we got there. The first afternoon was high winds and most lifts closed....but then they started opening....and after a couple of days of snow the sun carme out. Brilliant. There my expectations are rising again...Doohhhhhh!!

According to the unofficial forum of the Grand Massif where they have a thread regarding prayers for snow someone reckons that this morning they've had already had about 10cm of snow and it's still a whiteout on the webcams. Bring it on snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
Chris Reed, were you last week of Jan last year ? I was in the 3V then and it was as you describe, pretty much perfect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Yes, but only for three and a half days so we only got one day of good snow and sunshine but it was a fantastic trip Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last week of Jan 2004 I was in St Anton, we couldn't ski various off-piste routes because there was too much snow.
Good to hear there could be snow from the 21st onwards as I'm off to St Anton on the 22nd Jan again. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, I'll be there too w/c 22nd for an Off Piste week, so am hoping that offpist has some coverage. It doesn't look too bad from the web cams and its had a dusting of snow 3cm today (13th), which should improve things slightly, but probably not noticable enough.

Chris Read - As long as the slopes have snow on them I am happy. I've twice arrived in a ski resort to find the slopes green, that was in the eighties, so I have bitter experience of doing very little skiing and what I could do was on melting artifical snow, and I got muddier than I've even been. So the condition now although not ideal are perfect compare with how bad they could be.

Let hope for the massive dumps, but also remember that when its snowing hard, visibility is poor and often the sking is just as bad for bad weather reasons.

Bod
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Reed, We were out the week before that (Les 2 Alpes)....spent virtually all week sitting in the hotel looking out the window at the rain.... Sad anythings better than that!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homphomp,

I was in Arc 2000 w/c 18 Jan last year. The week before, Val D and most other placed in the area were washed out by torrential rain - I was pretty depressed about spending a week in the bar! But, praise be to the God of snow, on the Wednesday before I was due to go, the temperature dropped and the heavy rain became heavy snow. By the time we arrived in Arc, the parked cars were barely recognisable as such - more like a snowy version of TellyTubby land! Needless to say, as a 2nd-week skiier, I've never seen so much snow. The moral of the story is that conditions can change from bleak to brilliant in a matter of days.

My first day on the slopes was a flat-light day (my first experience and I had no goggles to help with definition) and I kept running off the edges of the pistes into waist-deep powder which I couldn't (probably still can't) cope with so I spent a lot of time on my @rse. The rest of the week was fab, though. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
homphomp,

I was in Arc 2000 w/c 18 Jan last year. The week before, Val D and most other placed in the area were washed out by torrential rain - I was pretty depressed about spending a week in the bar! But, praise be to the God of snow, on the Wednesday before I was due to go, the temperature dropped and the heavy rain became heavy snow. By the time we arrived in Arc, the parked cars were barely recognisable as such - more like a snowy version of TellyTubby land! Needless to say, as a 2nd-week skiier, I've never seen so much snow. The moral of the story is that conditions can change from bleak to brilliant in a matter of days.

My first day on the slopes was a flat-light day (my first experience and I had no goggles to help with definition) and I kept running off the edges of the pistes into waist-deep powder which I couldn't (probably still can't) cope with so I spent a lot of time on my @rse. The rest of the week was fab, though. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good attitude Chris.
Prepare for the worst and perhaps you'll be pleasently surprised.

Anyone who skis regularly in the UK will understand that philosophy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good attitude Chris.
Prepare for the worst and perhaps you'll be pleasently surprised.

Anyone who skis regularly in the UK will understand that philosophy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would appear there has been some fresh snowfall at Avoriaz, see here
http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/prevStation.jsp?LIEUID=SKI0774001
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine looks to be refreshed a little too
http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/prevStation.jsp?LIEUID=SKI0774004
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Precipitation in Megeve too.... the European Cup women's race there was rained off today!
ski holidays
PG, aargh. Still, I've got 4 weeks 'til the next trip...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy