Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Cuisine

Poster: A snowHead
Over on the resorts Wengen thread http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=8224#8224, I picked up on a comment by DG Orf on food, and started discussing the delights of various Alpine Desserts such as Mohr im Hemd, Kaiserschmarren, Salburger Knockerl and of course Germknodel (see other posting for detailed descriptions of the above). This prompted me to say perhaps we should start another thread, specifically on Alpine Cuisine (afterthought -and Drinks!) and DG agreed, so here goes.
Anyone any comments on their favourite Alpine Cuisine (with recommended restaurants if appropriate)?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-03-04 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Germknodle all the way !

A sort of doughy, steamed crossover between a spongecake and bread dumpling, containg poppy or jam. With vanilla sauce (white custard to most of us!), of course.

Absolutely the best lunchtime skifood there is snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A fine coq au vin, from Chez Helene, an exclusive bistro which pops up for about 2 nights per year in various Alpine locations. Shared with my 3 favourite people, and washed down with the finest local wine. Left a panful for the grandparents last night while they stayed overnight with kids.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok lets have a couple from me

Brandegg - (on the WAB railway above Grund Switzerland ) Apple fritters with vanille custard, a very simple but tasty dish

Alper Macaroni - A dish of macaroni pasta with a cheese sauce that also contains potato and ham or bacon pieces, usually served with apple sauce (which helps break down the cheese) which will compete for the best lunchtime ski food award along with.

Berner Rosti - A rosti with added bacon and possibly served with melted cheese topping or slightly less heavy two fried eggs.

Of course the next question is do we provide recipes for anyone wishing to try to recreate some of these delicious dishes ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tiroler Grostle (Austria) sort of refried meat & potatoes topped with a fried egg, sticks to your ribs! Perfect lunch time fill up.

Come to think of it, almost anything Austrian, the food is so much better than in the french resorts I've been to.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds all too stodgy and similar I'm afraid, much prefer French. Too many eggs!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All right then what about a nice plate of air dried meat and cheese sliced so finely it almost melts on the tongue and served with a nice bottle of wine ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tiroler grostle is lovely - don't thry put onion in it too?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't throw Lorraine, do thry? Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen mentioned stodge, that's my problem with the cooking since I moved to the Savoie. Everything seems to be filled with, based on, or has been in contact with, Reblochon cheese somewhere along the line. Raclette, fondue, tartiflette, gratin, croustillette au Reblochon, even the salads. Much preferred the Provençal fare!

About resort restaurants - disappointing 9 times out of 10, I reckon! The philosophy of many seems to be to cram as many people in as possible, get them out as quickly as possible, serve them very average fare at extortionate prices, and persuade them to buy drinks at even more extortionate prices. There are exceptions of course, but when you've lived in France away from the throng you can really tell the difference.

Here's one exception, southern French Alps: L'Op Traken in Sauze Supersauze. A real gastronomic delight run by the best Alpine woman skier of all time, Carole Merle. A woman who never settled for anything less than the best, and applies the same criteria to her restaurant.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, didn't think much of the reastaurants in Les Arcs, one or two were distinctly unfriendly. Some much better ones in Serre Che, a bit more choice than fondue, I assume as it's in the valley, and not a purpose built resort, with real people doing real jobs, it's moere like real FRance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen, I've had the same problem in Les Arcs. Told one or two what I think as well! That's the trouble with the mega-resorts, the few decent places are lost in the mass of mediocre ones. Not so much a problem in the smaller resorts, or the ones with a genuine old village origin. We should maybe ask the organisers to set up some resort reference guides on the big places, based on recommendations from the forum.... guides, instructors, places to eat, babysitters etc? Should we do a separate post on this? Or has it all been done before, over in 'the other place'...

In Les Arcs, if anyone's going there, at the foot of the Aiguille Rouge is "Les Chalets de L'Arc" run by Claudie and Robert Falcoz, which I liked a lot. And down in Arcs 1600, name escapes me, but on the Place next to the main forfait office is a very small Breton-run restaurant with superb shellfish/fish dishes, and a beautiful view out the back over the Tarentaise valley. Been they're many times, I'll post the name when it comes back to me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I liked Chalet de L'arc too PG and that nice rustic place half way down the long black run to Villa roger-I'd say we had better lunches than evening meals though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree about aelpermacaroni, absolutely splendid stuff. I don't eat meat though (don't ask) so go for the baconless stuff and baconless rosti. Would recommend the Old Post Hotel in Laax for their food and very friendly service. Excellent Lachs (funnily enough) - yes I eat fish, and was told the Buendner rosti was excellent, too.

In Valle d'Aosta there's a very good mix of dried meats and local cheeses (I normally share it, but remember the meats being very good before I stopped eating it). There's a great little cafe halfway up the Val Ferret which caters to cross country skiers, walkers and the odd heli-skier which serves a very good version.

Sticking to Courmayeur area, the Maison d' Fillipo (sp?) is a bit of an institution. A ridiculous number of courses, of varying types, and a meal there will last a good two hours. Not always had a great experience there, but mostly. It's not cheap, but whenever you do eat there, you won't need to again until Tuesday.

Incidentally, the owner does rallying and his lifts home through the snow are fun Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Switzerland try the local Fendant white wine. It is medium to dry with a very slight bubble which makes it very drinkable and very refreshing.
latest report
Yep I'd agree with that, drank my last bottle of it in the house over the weekend
snow report
RIVERMAN wrote:
In Switzerland try the local Fendant white wine. It is medium to dry with a very slight bubble which makes it very drinkable and very refreshing.

In Italy we drink Prosecco - very similar. Don't pay more than 3 euros a bottle for it though....... Wink
ski holidays
Les Chalet de l'Arc is certainly a winner (Les Arcs) with it's own bakery. Also some good ones in Plan-Peisey. Alpe d'Huez has some lovely mountain restaurants. Head down to Venosc if you're in Les 2 Alpes. Though generally I'd agree with PG - restaurants in the French valleys have better food, better service, and are cheaper. I often stop at Bourg d'Oisan for a bite on the way home from AdH; and Grenoble is awesome.

In Tartiflette We Trust. A good galette is not to be missed either.

Whenever I'm in Switzerland I always look out for a Rosti. I find Austria a bit dull for food but great for beer. Italy tops the list any day - pasta or (proper) pizza!
snow conditions
RIVERMAN wrote:

It's only local if you're in the Valais area, which I am Happy From the chasselas grape, dry, crisp and perfect in and with a fondue. Probably not seen much outside Switzerland, like most Swiss produce the vast majority is for domestic consumption. I have a bottle chilling right now for this evening.
latest report
Goulash soup particularly if the outside temp is ridiculously low. If warm weather, then cheese and cold meats washed down with a Prosecco or a chilled good quality red sitting on a terrace.

Alternatively, get yourself up to the top of the mountain very early (if you can) with the restaurant staff, for a hearty breakfast similar to the Tiroler Grostle. I did this in Zermatt, simply wonderful to watch the day opening up on top of the world.
snow report
Ise I actually prefer the Spiezer but didn't have any at home so had to make do with a bottle of Fendant I bought back last year Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy