Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton getting new lifts

Poster: A snowHead
I read in "St Anton - waddda ya think" - sorry I'm not sure how to link to that comment from this post, that St Anton is to be linked to Kappl.

I asked a friend who has been living there for years who said that the Galzigbahn was going to be updated from cablecar to 16 person Gondola and that the logistics of of linking Rendl to Kappl (near Ischgl) are being considered.

Does anyone know any news or have any facts on this subject?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton, has already mentioned this on the St Anton thread, the link will be from Rendl apparently.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It makes a lot of sense, because that part of the resort is horribly underused at the moment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, horribly is the wrong adjective to use in that statement, it should be nicely underused.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know of nothing official on this, but we'll certainly run news on it if someone can post a sourced thread. If that's possible, please post something and one of the news moderators can move the item into the snowNews section.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It would be a great shame if they did that! Rendl is a great ski area which is usually almost deserted. Sad
Talking to some Kitzbuehelers who live in Munich it seems that the locals are less than impressed with the new connection between Pass Thurn and Pengelstein. Same reason, Pass Thurn was the where the locals when to get away from the tourists... It's all being spoilt!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also heard about the Galzigbahn update but couldnt confirm. The Rendl/Kappl project has been finalised.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Galzigbahn is long overdue, the queue's at the bottom in the morning are terrible. As mentioned above, I'm not sure about the Rendl/Kappl thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you go at 8:30 theres never a Q !
I can find more if this Gondola is happening for next year.
The lift company doesnt gain anything from it (thats why the Valluga tunnel project to Zurs is on ice for 5-10 yrs ) so it probably just that the Pylons/Cables infrastructure is due for replacement and a Gondola is moe economic. The Rendl/Kappl project hey gain something (money) from it wth the Skiers coming from Kappl.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, do you know of an official site where you can get information on these plans? Where do you get your info from if you don't mind me asking?

PS my own view is that it will flood St Anton with skiers who normally go to the Ichgl, Kappl, Galtur areas rather than face a further 45 min drive. I would think that few would travel the other way to ski on Kappl or get a bus into Ichgl.

A further thought is that with such a flood they would need improved transport to feed them over from Rendl to Galzig, Gampen etc. hence the Galzig Gondola. Or am I being a tad cynical?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im sorry I cant tell you where my info comes from , hope you understand that.
Kappl is quite a fun area & it will be possible to catch the bus upto Ischgl buy a ticket & whizz over to Samnaun for some Duty Frees !!
What will be lost is the regular touring route over the top but there plenty of other routes in the Alrberg.

Re sites Thats quite difficult. You could try contactnig Doppelmyer.Poma,Swaboda etc to see if they can let you in but im sure its confidential/client info . Theres been discussions in the local press ie Tirroler Zeitung . You need to speak to the local goverment & locals who's land is affected by the installation of the Pylons ( these are the people in the know)

I cant see them doing both projects but I will try to find out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For those intereted theres some really detailed ski terrain & lift maps for the whole of the tyrol & in detail for each resort. If you look at the St anton map your see the Kappl lift in the bottom right hand corner . ANyone wo has been to St Anton will work out the trajectory of each lif from Rendl.

http://www.tirol.gv.at/raumordnung/seilbahnprogramm.shtml

Detail on lifts

http://www.tirol.gv.at/themen/sport/bergundski/downloads/Seilbahen%20und%20Lifte%20in%20Tirol%202004.pdf

There not publishing the 2005/6 lifts yet .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have just received news on the lift situation.

I have had a reply following an email I sent to Arlberg BergBahn or whatever the lift company is called. The rumours are true! I will formulate a list of the facts and further speculation when I catch my breath
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We wait with envy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Galzigbahn will be replaced in 2006. The email said it would change from a Gondola to a Cableway. I have replied asking if they meant from Cablecar to Gondola (it is probably just a question of English but the english used was excellent other than the lift descriptions). The precise capacity has not been determined.

An austrian ski instructor friend of mine commented that they would not increase capacity without making at least one change to the lifts in the Galzig area because everyone would spill out onto the Osthangbahn 4 man which only just about copes as it is. He suggested they would upgrade the Tanzboden T bar to a 4 man chair. I have asked if there are other changes planned to Galzig.

The email also confirmed that the link from Rendl to Kappl has been approved. My austrian friend says that the environmental laws have changed and he imagines that this request has been submitted (and approved) before the law change as there is not way in the future it would have been. There are no plans for the link yet. Just the approval of the proposal.

The email said that a Zurs link is not at the top of anyone's agenda. He says that Lech is fiercely opposed to such a link which will damage its exclusivity.

Razz Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
So basically THe Galzigbahn is not going to be replaced this summer for next season but for the season 2006/2007.

Rendl/Kappl. I have to double check with my source. They definitly said the Project had been finalised but maybe the "approved" & "construction" dates got messed up in the translation.

My understanding on enviromental laws in Austria is that they cannot build new resorts (when was the last time that happened )but can expand by linking resorts like they done in many places. I guess because of the prolific way resorts such as Soll, Kitzbuehl, etc have abused this by linking every god damn village has lead the enviromentlists up the war path !! Very Happy
ski holidays
My source said the environmental laws have been made stricter. The Kappl Rendl link has been shoehorned in prior to the law change so that the link was approved in principal rather than complete a detailed proposal and miss the deadline date.

I have also heard that Stuben, who own the Valfagebahn are to update it (please god with a hood) to encourage more people to travel over there.
latest report
Are yes , Stuben is in the Voralburg . They have been threatning to upgrade the Valfagebahn for some time Puzzled

Intresting Land ownership of these lifts in Stuben seems to be split between the Tirol & Voralburg

http://www.tirol.gv.at/raumordnung/downloads/13_14_15_rop_stanton_rendl_lavenar.pdf
ski holidays
B00thy, why would upgrading the Valfagehrbahn make more people ski in Stuben? What needs to be upgraded are the old two man chairs leading from Stuben up to the Albona. I've never really thought of the Valfagehr chair as being problematic.
It would be really unfortunate if the Albona became more frequented. It's always been the place that I escape to if St.Anton becomes too busy. Let's hope things stay just the way they are!
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie, at the end of the day the Valfagehrbahn can get really busy with long queues to get back up to the top of the happy valley. For me it's one of the bottle necks in the resort, along with the Zammermoose (?sic), and the Galzig. I agree that Albona I&II are quite slow, and definitely would be a bottle neck if that's where the new link is. I agree that it's one of the nicest places to ski in St Anton.
snow conditions
Mike Lawrie

Quote:

What needs to be upgraded are the old two man chairs leading from Stuben

When this happens it will be a Gondola a bit like they did in Sonnekopf http://www.bergfex.com/sonnenkopf/

Dont hold you breath though Very Happy
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie, What is in it for Stuben is that they feel that there are many people who do not ski over to Stuben from St. Anton because they fear the Valfagebahn return. Just about everyone I know who skis regularly in St. A moans about the lift. Not only because there are often fearful queues at the end of the day but also because it is the longest, slowest, coldest lift in St. Anton.

That said, north-facing Albona is COLD Skullie and I'm not sure that improving the VFbahn will entice many more folk over that way. And like everyone in this thread that suits me. Great, quiet skiing on Albona, Maroi etc.

For myself, I prefer to return to St Anton via the hangs into the Ferwall or St Christophe

PS Stuben can not afford to upgrade their chairs unless they get more people using them. As you guys know there are rarely queues and they get paid by the filled seat. So their plan has to be upgrade the VFbahn first, get the increased revenue from it and hope the increase in numbers provides them with enough revenue to upgrade the other 2 lifts. It'll take several years I would have thought. Phew! NehNeh
ski holidays
In our group the Valfagehrbahn is known as the lift of contemplation, due it's length and slowness. It's definitely not a lift to go on if you're feeling a little blue.
snow report
Valfagehrbahn was bl**dy freezing at -18C in a crosswind last week. We had come back from Stuben & had found their lifts more sheltered.
latest report
Yes, I expect I was on it. I find the trick is to make sure you're in the middle between two larger persons. At least on Albona I and II you get horse blankets to wear.

Don't you just find that after you arrive at the top of the Valfagehrbahn, your fingers and cheeks blue after a slow -18C ride, that at least you can comfort yourself with schussing as fast as possible to avoid that nasty polling - so adding a 60kph windchill to ensure that you are a block of ice when you reach happy valley. Or even worse, you decide after all that, to take Tanzboden T-bar and increase your hyperthermia chances.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy