Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nearest resorts to Calais

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Sorry for the vagueness of the post but I can't find anywhere a ski-resort specific distances chart.

Looking to get a cheeky few days in soon with friends and we're wanting to drive down (via Calais or Tunnel) - but as the topic title, I've been inputting various remembered French resorts into viamichelin but what's your experience or what site do you use? Megeve is closest I've found so far!

Cheers in advance!

Sean (boardiecouk)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boardiecouk, welcome to snowHead

Can't really help with closest - but the major ones are all (give or take) a good 8-hours drive from Calais. That's assuming limited refreshment/wee stops and a clear run.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, thanks for that - this is my current list - not the easiest thing to compile but might help someone else too!

Roughly 550miles or so for the top ones - stretching to about 650miles for the bottom resort.

Calais to Megeve - (7hrs 52mins) 884KM
Calais to Chamonix - (7hrs 53mins) 897KM
Calais to Flaine - (7hrs 56mins) 884KM
Calais to Morzine - (8hrs 1min) 884KM
Calais to Avoriaz - (8hrs 17mins) 896KM
Calais to Meribel - (8hrs 39mins) 957KM
Calais to Courchevel - (8hrs 43mins) 963KM
Calais to Tignes - (9hrs 13mins) 996KM
Calais to Les Arcs - (9hrs 22mins) 997KM
Calais to Serre Chevalier - (9hrs 36mins) 987KM
Calais to Risoul - (9hrs 55mins) 1056KM

all data from viamichelin and based upon travelling from Calais town centre (I know this isn't precise but was good for a rough idea)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski resorts in the Vosges and Massif Central come up with driving times of about 7 hours. Le Gaschney or Super Besse respectively.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Calais to Le Grand Bornand - (7hrs 44mins) 864KM

St Jean-de-Sixt will be a tad shorter, La Clusaz about the same
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mont-Jura (Mijoux) 6 hrs 54 mins. 30 lifts, 50 km pistes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought the German resorts were much closer, less than 500km.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Germany/Willingen_Upland_snow_report.html

Less than 500kms, not that big and not that high but 100% open at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
up4it, And only 5 hrs 14 mins
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Calais to Les Carroz - 7 hrs 39 mins, 870kms - Why drive past Les Carroz to get up to Flaine?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Taking away a 1 hr jam whilst they removed an accident on the N6, Cham to Calais was 6hr40 at the weekend. This did not involve anything over low 90s and most was low to mid 80s.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker, 900 km in 6hr40 is about 135 kph, well above the legal limit (taking ont o accoutn that some sections are subject to a 110 kph limit plus stops for petrol, tolls and the like). Perhaps the jam was less than an hour, but if we estimate times we should be within legal limits?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers guys, this is all great info - think we'll probably stick to France rather than take the German option, but its good to know!

Now, next challenge (and the one that may well decide the whole thing anyway) is accommodation, since we only want a non-conformist three nights starting on a Sunday night....

Last year the cheap option was to stay in a Golf resort near Annecy and commute each day it was £25 for a 2bed apartment for three nights at Easter! - and no, not £25 pppn or £25 per night, £25 for the lot!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just realised how I've posted this in probably completely the wrong area of the forum! - Sorry all and if you're a moderator, feel free to shift it!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
have you thought of Gerardmer? only 4 hours from calais i hear, not been there myself but heard it's good for a cheeky weekend trip if driving. snowHead
ski holidays
Nottingham to Nevis Range is about 600km.
snow report
Quote:

have you thought of Gerardmer? only 4 hours from calais i hear, not been there myself but heard it's good for a cheeky weekend trip if driving.

Googlemaps says 5hrs 59 mins, but may be wrong.
snow report
yes saw that on google maps, but just spoke to a mate who went last year and did it in just over 4 hours, he had good speed but never went over 90 he said.
snow report
click this link for details and webcam images:
http://www.gerardmer-ski.com/webcam.php
snow report
dlawless, It's dark
snow report
Quote:

never went over 90

if it's raining the absolute max legal speed is 110kph (a tad less than 70) and there are usually some sections of lower limits. Not to mention stopping/slowing down for toll gates, and stopping to change drivers/buy fuel/have a pee.
latest report
dlawless wrote:
have you thought of Gerardmer? only 4 hours from calais i hear, not been there myself but heard it's good for a cheeky weekend trip if driving. snowHead

You would have to be driving something rather fast to do it in that sort of time (and be nowhere near sticking to speed limits).

OK, when we went to the Alsace (in the summer a few years ago) we were towing a caravan, but the speed limits with caravans in France are generally the same as when not towing (apart from some downhill sections which have specifically signed lower limits), and I was driving pretty close to those limits. It still took us at least 8 hours of actual driving, and Gerardmer was our first campsite in that area.
snow report
alex_heney, well either my mates lying or he did it in a little over 4 hours from calais. to be honest he has no reason to lie about it. no offence but u were towing a caravan so i'm sure you weren't doing upto 90mph.
snow conditions
dlawless, Not necessarily lying, just perhaps mistaken or very lucky - especialy given the proliferation of cameras on French motorways now.
The other point to make is that we should not base our snowHead predictions on how long it will take to get somewhere on exceeding the speed limit and less than average traffic. 623 km in four hours is an average of 150km per hour (over 95 mph).
I would say 4.5 hours is possible on a good day for the reckless, 5 hours probable, 5.5 hours the most likely journey time for the determined and 6 hours average (without stops). 7-8 hours taking into account loo breaks, lunch, etc. seems entirely normal.
alex_heney,With a caravan it is not the motorway sections where the time is lost it is the section after Metz where it takes longer to get up to speed, so I am sure you are right too. Smile
latest report
Quote:

to be honest he has no reason to lie about it

The maths is straightforward. viamichelin.com says it's 651 km of which 611 is motorway and 11 km is on "scenic roads". If he did it in 4 hours and 15 minutes that's an AVERAGE of over 150 kmh. Including through toll gates and along the non-motorway and "scenic roads". Either he's lying or he's a maniac who should be locked up immediately.
Twisted Evil
snow conditions
pam w, Either he's lying or he's a maniac who should be locked up immediately.

I won't disagree with the maniac part!!
latest report
google earth reckons that la bresse hohneck is only just over a 6 hour drive from calais, don't know what the skiing is like but it would pronbably keep you entertained for a couple of days.
ski holidays
Let's be generous. Perhaps he forgot about changing clocks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beequin, knowing him he probably did!! Laughing

But seriously, here's a link: http://world.maporama.com/idl/maporama/itinerary.aspx

This shows it at 4hours 48mins if you change setting to fast or 5 and a bit if average speeds. he did it in in over 4 hours so not as unbelievable as some are making out. I wouldn't take it as gospel that he didn't stray over 90 as I've been in a car with him before and he does drive an audi R4.
Remember some driving in France is just clear roads unlike the Uk, i wouldn't like to say how quick i got from disneyland paris to calis last summer but put it this way my tom tom and aa route planner were way out!

The point is that it's is the nearest mainland european ski resort to the UK(correct me if i'm wrong) and a great option for a cheeky cheap weekend on the slopes. You wouldn't want a week there but a couple of days would be fine. snowHead
snow conditions
Just decided I'm bored with airports and flying so want to try driving to my ski holiday, iv just registered here and been checking site out, looks very friendly and informative so here goes.

Noticed a resort called Gerardmer mentioned as being one of nearest to drive from Calais to, so can anyone tell me what the night life is about if any. Love my skiing but also like a bit of après ski too, thanks to anyone who can put a bit of light on it for me as I know nothing about this resort .
snow report
Perhaps any list should include the cost of getting there, too?
snow conditions
Princessfairey, I skied the Gerardmer resorts in the Vosges back in the early 80s while I was at uni in Strasbourg. Shortish runs and very samey. Good for teaching on a day trip out from the city but not really anything more. The better places in terms of reliable snow and more interesting runs are on the east-facing sides of the Vosges (so looking across into Germany). The area is definitely daytripper country so very little nightlife.

Do not equate mileage with speed - these are not all that easy to reach timewise. It took us at least 2 hours to drive from Strasbourg to the skiing areas of the Vosges. You can do much better if you look at time taken and travel costs. Anywhere within 10 hours of the channel ports for example, &/or cost of French tolls. Tolls on French motorways against the slightly longer distance, but faster free German motorway system to reach Switzerland and Austria (toll in Austria but fixed at approx 7.90 Euro for 10 days).

Welcome to snowHeads, a crazy, friendly informative and highly addictive site full of contradictions! snowHead Laughing
snow report
TBH, if I'm driving 4 or 5 hrs, then I consider my day 'gone' and so adding another few hours doesn't make a huge difference to the overall travel 'time' Sure you might get to the resort a little later, but if you're not skiing till the next morning, does it matter if you arrive at 6pm or 9 pm?
ski holidays
Feldberg in the Black Forest in Germany is definitely worth a try. 6 and a bit hours from Calais along the toll roads. Top speed I went was 85mph (just over the 130kph speed limit). Been there for the past 3 years as it's good for beginners and is very cheap (compared with the Alps).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy