Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Angela Rippon on the Holiday prog BBC1

Poster: A snowHead
Did anyone see Angela Rippon skiing in Utah on the holiday prog last night? She said she's been skiing for years but she's got the same problem I have when I'm tired - a 'floating leg'. Why does this happen? Any tips appreciated.

P.S. If you didn't see the program I mean that when she turned she didn't keep the weight evenly on both skis and one sort of meandered around the place a bit! Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry Sue, no tips!

I was most surprised by Stein Erikson. He looked a bit...rubbish. I mean, obviously he isn't, but he didn't look too impressive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mmm... wouldn't say rubbish - looked like he had that amazing ability to fully carve and work the full length of the ski throughout the turn...but without having to do what most of us have to do ie. ski hip width apart - he did it glued together - super difficult and pretty pointless - but kinda cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alan empty, I also think that he was trying to look good, while skiing slowly enough for Angela & the crew.
But Snowbird & Alta are amazing. Wish I was going back there this year. But I may have to wait until next...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I was most surprised by Stein Erikson. He looked a bit...rubbish. I mean, obviously he isn't, but he didn't look too impressive

Exceptionally impressive for a 76 yr old me thinks Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

looked like he had that amazing ability to fully carve and work the full length of the ski throughout the turn...but without having to do what most of us have to do ie. ski hip width apart - he did it glued together

Here he is again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alan empty, I thought that too - his shoulders were all over the shop. Why do they pick presenters that can't ski that well for these shows? Surely it would be sensible to pick advanced skiers that can comment on the resort's skiing, rather than the fudge factory or the shopping?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hyweljenkins, alan empty, hey lads, cut the old man a bit of slack
Quote:

his shoulders were all over the shop
probably due to arthritis in all his lower joints. I thought he was amazing. Id be happy to get my boots on at his age. 52 years since he won his Olympic medal!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

I was most surprised by Stein Erikson. He looked a bit...rubbish. I mean, obviously he isn't, but he didn't look too impressive

Exceptionally impressive for a 76 yr old me thinks Shocked

Too right! And, of course, skis together was the correct thing to do. I only just got the hang of it after it had gone out of fashion. Hey the style works for him at 76. Let's wish him lots more skiing miles.
I was mighty impressed by Utah, though. Hmmm. Maybe the hassle would be worthwhile another year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Could stay in BSM and do far bigger ski area in the same driving time. the description of the snow, and how light and dry it was had me squirming in my boots, and the knees were a flexing though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey, obviously I'm being a little harsh but I was just a little surprised with the way he looked. I'd have thought he'd have moved away a little from the feet together style.

Yeah, I'll be happy if I can manage any skiing when I'm that age.

Utah's great. I'd love to go back but I can't imagine dragging the 1-year-old that far for quite a while yet. *sigh*
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, I get that. I call it laxy leg though but I have a dodgy ankle so that could be why. It's usually when I go over moguls parallel and one leg and my right leg tends to drift away...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I have when I'm tired - a 'floating leg'. Why does this happen? Any tips appreciated.

I get this as well, I guess you hinted at the cause yourself,

Quote:

didn't keep the weight evenly on both skis and one sort of meandered around the place a bit

Without seeing the clip I will assume you have the same problem as me.... your tired so you favour one leg over the other which will grip the snow stronger, whilst the weaker leg barely touches the snow and is sent off at angles as you go over the uneven surface.

the snowHead Snowheads snowHead here kindly gave me some exercise tips for general "Ski Fitness" I guess I will endeavour to get my weaker leg stronger. (I dont know how to link to that topic - sorry - its something like "advice needed sking in 4 weeks")

Particulary as this problem gets you towards the end of the day when the slopes are getting icer and you need the grip!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He was 76!? I wasn't paying much attention to be honest, so I take back what I said.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember Craig Doyle's ski trip. He was awful, or appeared to be. My sister lived next door to him at the time, and she said he was a better skier than the programme made him out to be (Not sure why I accept her opinion though, she doesn't know one end of a ski from the other, and certainly won't have seen Mr Doyle ski!!!! )
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I remember seeing Craig Doyle in the pub before ... and he is even better looking in real life than on the box .. maybe its the same with his skiing? (and perhaps that might have influenced your sisters opinion Smile )
snow report
Paul Chittenden, unless you have some condition you haven't mentioned I'd be surprised if one leg were really 'weaker' than the other Very Happy
Quote:
the weaker leg barely touches the snow and is sent off at angles as you go over the uneven surface.

The other interpretation is that you're not using your unweighted leg - it doesn't just hang there, it takes part!! Some of the books/forums I've been reading discuss how you use both legs in a turn - even when all the weight is on one leg. More for the Bend ze Knees - and it needs better skiers than I to explain it Smile

The post is here btw

FYI to get that line I typed:
Code:

The post is [url=http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=4674]here[/url] btw

No extra spaces inside the [ ] and to get the link you go to the thread you're interested in and copy it from the browser URL box.

(tip click 'preview' when you're writing a post and you get loads more options. Then if you move the mouse over the buttons it gives you help. It's a bit cryptic if you don't do any HTML but I'm sure there's a howto if you search)
latest report
I think the trouble is that when you first have ski lessons you are told to 'put all your weight on your downhill ski' so, your uphill ski becomes virtually redundant at that stage. It's only as you get better that you are taught (or realise) that the tophill ski plays a real part. If you don't weight that ski, it wobbles and gets in the way. You have to make an effort to turn that uphill ski onto it's edge - it helps if you roll(or think about rolling) your big toe up the hill.
I didn't see Angela Rippon doing this - to me she looked to be doing stem turns.
That's my two-penneth. Might be a load of cr*p, I know. Confused
ski holidays
lbt, Thanks for the programming advice!

lbt, erica2004, Thinking it over, during the day when I am not tired I try to spread the weight on each ski and I am ok... then towards the end as my kness start to hurt I dont put as much weight on my "unfavourable side" causing aserica2004, says
Quote:

If you don't weight that ski, it wobbles and gets in the way.

So im concentrating on strength in this area - and will make sure I distribute evenly as you lot say !

Cheers again
ski holidays
Don't mention it.

mmm, what kind of skiing are you doing? what level?

In general, for modern skiing, you should aim to have more/most of/almost all your weight on the turning/outside ski when you turn.
This holds true from wedges through to racing.
So when you say you "try to spread the weight on each ski" - that sounds really wrong? Shocked

The only exception I know about is deep powder (and I hope to experience this one day <sigh>rolling eyes)

Maybe we need to seperate the "what you do when you're tired" from what you should be doing Wink

When erica2004, talks about the uphill ski, she's not meaning to put any significant weight on it. It's like running, you hold your arms firmly by your sides, muscles slightly taught, bent at the elbows and you 'thump' at the air.
Imagine (or try!) running with your arms limp and flopping about - looks ridiculous and throws you off balance. It's the same with the uphill ski - you hold it firm and (evetually!) gently and lightly use it to adjust your balance and line.

HTH
ski holidays
lbt,

Quote:

mmm, what kind of skiing are you doing? what level?

ON PISTE - 3 Weeks in total (Arinsal, Pas De Le Casa, Sauze D'oux) - Reds no problem and a couple of blacks, (Sauze D'Oux - one on my backside Embarassed )

each holiday I take a minimum of 3 hours private tution.

Techniques
Parallel, (sort turns, S curves and wide turns (carving?))

Quote:

In general, for modern skiing, you should aim to have more/most of/almost all your weight on the turning/outside ski when you turn.
This holds true from wedges through to racing.

To be fair that is what I was intructed, 75% outside 25% inside. I guess when knackered I skip the uphill leg weight so it wobbles rolling eyes

Quote:

When erica2004, talks about the uphill ski, she's not meaning to put any significant weight on it. It's like running, you hold your arms firmly by your sides, muscles slightly taught, bent at the elbows and you 'thump' at the air.
Imagine (or try!) running with your arms limp and flopping about - looks ridiculous and throws you off balance. It's the same with the uphill ski - you hold it firm and (evetually!) gently and lightly use it to adjust your balance and line.

Good example.
snow report
Quote:
ON PISTE - 3 Weeks in total (Arinsal, Pas De Le Casa, Sauze D'oux) - Reds no problem and a couple of blacks, (Sauze D'Oux - one on my backside Embarassed )

Sounds familiar!!! Smile

I've been doing a lot of reading on ski technique.

It depends how you like to learn but I find it helps me understand where I'm going.
I can't always (often!) put it into practice - but I find it helps to know what I'm supposed to be doing.

If you're interested, as a start go here: http://forums.epicski.com/search.php
and search for posts by "Bob Barnes/Colorado" in the Skiing Technique and Instruction section.

but don't forget to browse the technique section here too!
(and I posted in october/november about suggested books - some good replies. My favourites are "Inner Skiing" and "The Complete Encyclopedia of Skiing" by Bob Barnes)

lbt
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy