Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the toughest piste in the world

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there - I guess it depends upon the conditions but this is something I have been wondering about for a while and I would be really interested in the views on here as to what the toughest piste is

The pistes (not itineraries) I've heard mentioned are:

Grand Couloir (Courchevel)
The Tunnel (Alpe D'Huez)
The Wall (Avoriaz)

I've only tried the Grand Couloir out of these (the traverse was the worst bit) so can't compare really....

Cheers! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grand Couloir (Courchevel) isnt too bad, just a little trundle across the ridgy bit for about 20m and you are down into a fairly average black couloir that runs out onto the main piste (reasonably safe even if you stack it), don't know about the rest though...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Wall is only really bad at the very top and you can take a simpler route down it after that it you want. I wouldn't call it "fun" though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anything at 4.30 with a club med at the bottom of it and 3 separate, 50 child-strong snakes of infants on it, with their crash helmets over their eyes and doing the racing snowplough with no apparent control over speed or direction. La Plagne in particular has one of these; scares the bejesus out of me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cunners, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
None of the above.

It *so* depends on conditions of both the piste and the skier that the question is meaningless. I could claim that Gowabunga is the hardest piste I've skied, since it was out of condition and so was I. Equally Kamakaze is intimidating due to its exposure, but isn't really that technically difficult. And World Cup downhill's are normally on red runs - and they are normally very *tough*.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to be Corbets Couloir in jackson Hole for the fact that you have to jump between 15ft and 25ft just to get into the thing depending on conditions ! It's an offical piste so I reckon that wins hands down. I've done it a few times and all the above are easy by comparison. 45 degrees once in and then mellows out to a nice 40 angle...great run after soft snow. Scary at the top though as people watching !!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fly Paper, Glencoe!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fly Paper, Glencoe!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The run down into St Anton from the Mooserwirt at about 8:30pm.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Banff Avenue at close on any Saturday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Grand Couloir in Les Deux Alpes is quite exposed, with a rock band in the middle half way down, and steep enough that if you fall you're going to slide for a while.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, ditto .. you beat me to it. It is only a blue run, but the only time I did it, it was the most difficult 'skiing' I'd ever done.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I once skied the run back into tignes Le Lac from the Toviere cafe in a torchlight descent. Many beers on board, bottle of wine in one hand, torch in the other, now that was tricky, the schuss at the bottom was great fun! How I survived I'll never know!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, and it has claimed a few lives!
snow conditions
Agree with Bode Swiller, or even the walk from the Griabli to the Moos after several pints of kaiser wink
ski holidays
....also agree with bode swiller...that run is treacherous!

On a more serious note though....it definitely depends on the conditions...some v steep blacks are a lot easier when there is some surface snow to grip on, and some less steep ones can turn into huge icey mogul fields so it depends on weather, number of skiiers, etc etc. Impossible to say which is the most difficult. Grand couloir in courchevel is the most difficult i've skiied on.
snow report
The flat green that runs through Val Thorens. Lots of folks trying to cross it from the town to get to lifts, lots of ski schools meeting, learner pistes leading in from the town side, and lots of skiers coming in from 2 seperate pistes with a fair amount of cruising speed in an attempt to pass over the flat bits quickly.
snow report
I remember in 2004 I was in Serre Chevalier, and only a week 3 newbie then. I skied a blue across the top of the Luc Alphand that runs down into Chantemerle and thanked god I wasn't having to ski it Shocked

I'm guessing now I'd be able to get down it no problems, but it's a bit of a view from the top I can tell you. Straight down steep to the bottom, which is a small stopping area, then a bridge over a roaring river, then a main road. Who knows what happens to someone who stacks it on the lower section, what would you choose to help you stop, a bridge rail, a rocky river, a passing bus? Crikey...
snow report
The Ptarmigan Bowl on CairnGorm Mountain today! Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

Bode Swiller, ditto .. you beat me to it. It is only a blue run, but the only time I did it, it was the most difficult 'skiing' I'd ever done.

snowHead snowHead
The last time we were there we didn't even risk skiing . Walked up instead and bivvy bagged down into town. Less distance to fall. Laughing
snow report
stevomcd, Agreed and the Fly Paper is the most underacknowledged run, rarely talked about on this forum. Although quite short, it is as thrilling as any 'black run' or piste map dotted line marked couloir I have skied anywhere in Euroland (and I do seek them out), the rocky outcrops intimidate with the kind of exposure that you never see in Euroland except off-piste or itinaire, it's too steep to bump up with the deceleration-assisting moguls found on most busy steep slopes and cannot be accessed by a pisteing machine. It really compares with the steepest of snow-holding off-piste slopes anywhere.

Re. Luc Alphand, I skied it several times last week with my children, at the start of the week in soft snow at +10 degrees and at the end of the week on a scraped and icy base at -12C. It contains a few mediocre steep pitches but it certainly isn't a tough piste although we did see a couple of people sliding face first on the final pitch while we ourselves were enjoying a drink on the sunny side terraces at the back of the commercial centre. I can't recollect any exposure to the road / river at the bottom either and there is a 100 metre upwards incline at the finish before the road is reached.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-12-08 19:27; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
tommy10pages wrote:
I remember in 2004 I was in Serre Chevalier, and only a week 3 newbie then. I skied a blue across the top of the Luc Alphand that runs down into Chantemerle and thanked god I wasn't having to ski it Shocked

I'm guessing now I'd be able to get down it no problems, but it's a bit of a view from the top I can tell you. Straight down steep to the bottom, which is a small stopping area, then a bridge over a roaring river, then a main road. Who knows what happens to someone who stacks it on the lower section, what would you choose to help you stop, a bridge rail, a rocky river, a passing bus? Crikey...

I think that section is called The Wall and it is certainly steep. My favourite black run as it happens, but I wouldn't call it overly difficult (well not now anyway Laughing ) unless it's at 4.30 in spring conditions after its been chopped up all day long wink A bit more demanding then. You're right about the view, but the run that intersects it at various points on the way down is officially a green IIRC.
snow report
I did Luc Alphand last week, if I got down it in one piece without bricking it, then it is definitly not the toughest piste in the world. It was steep and icy though. It wasn't worth repeating in my opinion in such conditions.

I was more intimidated by the closed piste I was suggested to go down in Monetier, called the Tabuc. It is normally a piste, but had rather large moguls down a long piste. Much 'tougher' and much more fun than Luc Alphand.

Cibouit Noir in Monetier is also a harder piste. Steeper with large moguls.

So I wouldn't say that Luc Alphand is the toughest piste in Serre Chevalier, let alone the world.
snow conditions
Yeah it was scary from the view of a week 3 newbie taking the green either side of it!

I've since seen the GC in Courchevel and I reckon that's the scariest I've seen. The scariest I've skiied, I'm not sure...
snow report
The Luc Alphand is like many other runs to resort; bliss in the morning when freshly pisted and quiet and a different proposition at 4pm when covered with anxious skiers barely in control and the surface scraped back to the compressed man made 'snow'.
You would have to be taking it at world cup speed though to reach any road at the top which I think is closed anyway. All pistes difficulty depend on conditions, Isolee is about the toughest in Serre Che in normal conditions IMO.

Corbetts always sounds like it's the toughest and I have not tried it as I have neither the skill nor the balls.. Describing it as a piste rather than a marked run might be pushing the definition of piste slightly though. Most European pistes in ordinary conditions are not particularly tough though there are a few that I have not skied which sound a bit scary.
latest report
The Swiss Wall (Avoriaz) is not a piste either, itinerary I do believe, but non the less tricky unless you bottle it and head out to the sides for an easy option
ski holidays
rayscoops, The Swiss wall is a black run as far as I am aware though probably not pisted.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, I'd agree Tabuc is more challenging in so far that it demands a wider variety of skills to ski down it.....But, at around 10.30 in the morning after a slight warming, practically no other skiers in sight, and a mostly grooomed piste, canning down the Luc Alpand is unmatched (in SC) for pure exhilaration, especially in the tuck for the last 200m IMHO.... Cool
latest report
Chasseur, cripes!
ski holidays
The one you just fell down on? Very Happy

I'll get my coat...
latest report
in garbure we trust wrote:
Grand Couloir (Courchevel) isnt too bad, just a little trundle across the ridgy bit for about 20m and you are down into a fairly average black couloir that runs out onto the main piste (reasonably safe even if you stack it), don't know about the rest though...

I believe there have been some very serious accidents in the Grand Couloir in the past.

It's fine in good snow conditions, but is not a place to fall when it's hard and/or icy. People have fallen there a very long way.

I feel that it's only on the piste map as overall Courchevel has little in the way of genuine black runs. Really I think it should be left as an off piste couloir, as similar couloirs are in all the other resorts I am familiar with.
snow conditions
Yes, I agree that Corbets must be the toughest marked run, but surely couldn't be called a piste.
here are 2 pictures of the start of it:
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1024609740032634004qtoiSjTJbk
http://family.webshots.com/photo/1246859335063171438LqhpLB
Must be very easy to miss the first turn and hit the rock wall. Shocked
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Yes, I agree that Corbets must be the toughest marked run, but surely couldn't be called a piste.

what's the difference?
ski holidays
Anybody remember Ski Survey's list of the hardest runs in the world?

Must be about 10 years ago, but I remember it because they measured difficulty in brown trousers.

Corbet's Couloir and the Swiss Wall both figured up there.

CW Happy
latest report
T Bar wrote:
rayscoops, The Swiss wall is a black run as far as I am aware though probably not pisted.

Not any more, it was a red dotted line last season, deffo not a black
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
here are 2 pictures of the start of it:
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1024609740032634004qtoiSjTJbk
http://family.webshots.com/photo/1246859335063171438LqhpLB
Must be very easy to miss the first turn and hit the rock wall. Shocked

Corbets is a piste. There is now dispute on that. It just happens to be a couloir with a 20ft drop to get in !

Easiest way in to go to the left hand side as you are looking down and you can snow plough down this little wedge that gets created by people trying to limit the drop. You then do a jump turn to the right and then control yourself and do a left hand turn as soon as you can to avoid going into the rocks. The key is snow conditions. Soft snow makes it less scary.
latest report
Alex A, Corbets is a dotted black on their map http://www.jacksonhole.com/jacksonassets/images/maps/0809wintermap.jpg. Its also roped off with warnings everywhere. Think that excludes it from being a true piste.
snow report
I went down Le Tunnel in ADH 2 days ago and wow that thing is serious stuff. Moguls bigger than the mountain itself and wicked narrow at the top!! I have heard it called the 2nd hardest run in the Alps..... didnt hear what the hardest one is.
snow conditions
It depends how you define a piste, though the fact you can get a groomer up it pretty much invalidates it from the "hard" definition anyway. I can pick some lines in Fernie that are ridiculous and it's technically inbounds...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy