Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bourg Staint Maurice & Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could PM PG, but this info. could be more generally useful.

Got some friends hring a car to drive up to BSM and they're not sure whether they'll need snow chains or snow tyres or neither. I would guess that at the moment they would need neither, but are there any rules about whether they would be required to have them, and/or is it advisable anyway?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Okay, sorry I'd missed this thread which tells me all I wished to know. Move along now, nothing to see here... Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skaky, not required usually BSM very rarely gets much snow, the pollution keeps it warm. AS BSM is on a main road the N90 snow chains/snow tyres aren't mandatory, some of the side roads might be a tricky just after a snowfall but that's not often.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, I think one of the drivers may want to go elsewhere during the week, so not having them may restrict where they can go?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, you're right the roads up to La Ros and Les Arcs are snowchain/tyres obligatory, Ste Foy, Tignes Val d are not, but again in those locations getting arounbd the voillage when it's snowy/icy would be tricky without chains. Depends when they go, no snow likely this week, just spoken to my daughter in La Ros 10 degrees today and the snow melting fast, local meteo not predicting any significant snow until the 18th.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky, you are an optimist after all! Laughing At the moment he/she's pretty safe below 6,000m wink Hey David@traxvax, we've had snow lying on the ground for 3 weeks now, less of the "pollution" thing, please! There's none where we are, that's for sure... wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The hire car companys sometimes provide chains anyway during the season when hiring from Geneva, Lyon etc.

When I passed through BSM about 5 years ago on the way back from Val you'd of certainly needed chains/tyres for anything other than the main road. But those conditions are probably not the norm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David@traxvax, yeah, I'm watching the snow situation. One of the drivers is not a keen skier ( Shocked ) and was thinking of seeing some of the area. They'll be around for the first of our two weeks - 15th - 22nd, so there *might* be some new stuff to worry about while we're there (though even GFS is now lowering the estimates of that). Don't worry about the temperature, it'll go down soon, they're all in the same warm air sector that kept parts of the UK above 12C last night. Things should cool down a bit by the weekend.

PG, yeah, I'm being optimistic, I have to be. How is the snow at the moment?

trickydickie, apparently they have to pay extra for them and so were wondering if they were worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skanky, there are some good sites not too far way from BSM, they can go up to the Beaufort glacier, I can't think of another glacier that you can drive to, there's aslo some good hiking around. There are organised randonee excursions in La Rosiere for example. The bob sleigh run in La Plagne has to be a fairly unique holiday experience. Snow chains are not expensive in the hypermarkets, probably about the same cost as hiring them from a car hire company, I'd be surprised if they hire a car in or near the mountains if it wasn't equipped with snow tires.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-01-05 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, thanks for that, I'll pass it on. They're hiring form Geneva airport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax wrote:
Yes, you're right the roads up to La Ros and Les Arcs are snowchain/tyres obligatory, Ste Foy, Tignes Val d are not.

Erm I think they are obligatory, at least from la Thuile, the road is very steep at some points and if it snowed you would neither get up or down on summer tyres. I personally wouldn't drive past Albertville without snow chains. I've had them on the car once this winter at 300 meters altitude.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, thanks. I've basically pointed out that it currently looks like they won't need them unless they decide to go driving off around the region, but they should thinking about taking them anyway just in case. Now it's up to them and I'm not relying on them to get anywhere - unless the snow's so bad in Les Arcs/La Plagne that we need to go elsewhere,....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy