Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clowns on snow blades

Poster: A snowHead
Just an observation Very Happy They're were about 10 people dressed as clowns skiing round the Grand Massif on blades today, from this I'm assuming clowns prefer blades.

I so regret not having ma camera to hand Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would love to be a clown today, Alas not over there yet. Fourteen more days and I may be a "clown" with extral long shoes Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise, I've seem the French Army climbing on skins (poor b***ers!) but no clowns! What's the snow like in the Grand Massif. Off there in 10 days (not that I'm counting or anything snowHead )?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Reed, it was pretty funny, we were trying to work if these people had a really good sense of humour and on what level the joke was on. I'd taken a couple of guys from work over to the Grand Massif and we were stood just above Flaine admiring the architecture when 10 clowns came past on 'blades, it's was one of the funniest things I've seen for a long time. So, I can safely say, after research, we can confirm that 100% of all clowns on the slopes are on blades Very Happy

The snow's not too good, it's a little colder today but the coverage is pretty critical. I'll post some photos on my blog this evening but if you look on it now you'll see a photo of one of the top lifts at Flaine left above the snow line. There's not been sufficient snow to fill the fissures and holes in the Flaine bowl itself and it'll take a lot of snow to make them safe. A few cm just won't do it although it would freshen up the rest of the domain nicely.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They weren't so happy when they finished and went to drive home. They all piled into the car which promptly made a loud bang and fell apart.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise, some years back I was in Italy with little snow and the best decision was to go and rent some blades and clown around on them.
Any modest piste becomes a big top with a pair of those on!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skanky, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They were probably German or Austrian. I don't think that I've ever skied in Germany or Austria without seeing some berk in a glitter wig, face paint and silly clothes on the slopes. Around Faschings, it's wall to wall pointless outfits. Why people should imagine that putting on silly clothes makes them amusing, I can't imagine; perhaps they don't, of course, and do it for some other, weirder, reason.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whilst skiing I have noticed my nose turning red on a number of occasions, how long does it take for the transformation to be completed I wonder Smile Shock Laughing ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, no certainly they were French. Odd day all round really, the clowns turned up at the restaurant at lunch along with a brass band group who blasted out "stand by me" and "dancing queen" amongst others. Bizarre really Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, are you sure your colleagues hadn't slipped an illicit substance into your morning coffee? Blading clowns and Abba-playing brass bands gives "ski trip" a whole new meaning!

BTW, the photos seem to have disappeared fom your blog.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, not again Sad That happened before, I'll host them somewhere else I think.

It was funny though, one of the guys was from the US and had never skied in Europe before so it was a laugh.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Reed, when I was last in Flaine we saw the French army training every day. They used to skin up the mountains and ride down in the chairs because their officers wouldn't let them have he pleasure of skiing down.

Or so we thought. Eventually came the day when we saw them finally ski down. Now they may have been exhausted and they probably were. But looking at their technique I would say they that the instructors had not actually spent anytime training the ranks to ski down. BUt they were ordered to ski down as fast as possible.

I leave it to your imagination to develop a picture of carnage on a ski hill the like of which I have never seen befoe or since. Imagine rugby on ice and you'll get the general idea. With skis. And poles. And another hill to skin up afterwards. Aaahhh conscription.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B00thy wrote:
Chris Reed, when I was last in Flaine we saw the French army training every day. They used to skin up the mountains and ride down in the chairs because their officers wouldn't let them have he pleasure of skiing down.

Interesting, I presume they were armed then?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, they were lethal enough on their own. Actually, I now remember that the carnage was multiplied by the fallers from the old drag lift with two right-angled turns that was compulsory if you wanted to return to Flaine from Samoens without the use of a helicopter or taxi. That old thing used to spew out 30% of its passengers - half of which ended up colliding with the French army.

It was a great place to sit with a picnic and a flask of soup and watch the day's events unfold.
latest report
I was curious being as the lift company don't allow people to ride down on the chairs anywhere in the Grand Massif. I guessed if they were armed they'd have been able to just hijack the lifts Little Angel

I assume it must have been a long time back if there was a drag between Samoens and Flaine though.
ski holidays
January 1999 it was. Seems like 6 years ago. Have you met a legionnaire? I imagine the lift companies paid the army to ride down. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Puzzled
snow conditions
They're a bit violent. If the army want to ride down - they ride down
latest report
Puzzled
snow conditions
Santa Claus went passed me today in Pas De La Casa.
snow conditions
Paul Mason, oh that's just so witty and ironic isn't it? Why do ladies' front bottoms wear Santa hats and outfits halfway into January and think it's a bit funny? Pathetic or what .....
ski holidays
Getting back on track then.

Just because someone has seen some clowns on snowblades, is it reasonable to assume that all clowns snowblade, or more importantly, may we assert that everyone on 'blades are clowns?

Question for a corollary, do all muppets snowblade too?

I would have thought so, in all cases.
ski holidays
Here's one for the future: Clones on snow blades.

I think we'll save that for next winter.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, to assume that everyone on snowblades are either muppets or clowns is akin to suggesting that everyone from Chelsea are stuck-up pompous ar!es but I would't want to make that analogy.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, very reasonable points.

We are able to assert that based on a sample of slope users last Sunday in Grand Massif all clowns had snow blades and that no skiers or boarders were clowns. We also know that at least some bladers are clowns. Clearly more research is needed on this important issue Very Happy
ski holidays
I've noticed that clowns have huge feet. Do they have a lot of difficulty finding ski boots?
ski holidays
I thought the blades themselves were the clowns feet in this case Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris, wink you'll be a snowblader then?
snow report
David M, everyone who skis are bladers too or can be. As I do both I feel in a position to qualify the fact that skiing and blading are fantastic hobbies, with different advantages and dis-advantages.
snow report
The big dis-advantage of blading is knowing that at some time on the piste you will get a custard-pie in the face!
snow conditions
chris, Very, very funny. Not entirely sure why but I giggled nonetheless.

Serious question then, you have piqued my curiousity.

What do you get from blading that you don't get from skiing? Especially in the light that my bird's just bought a pair of 150cm slalom skis.

I mean, 150cm, hardly much longer than a blade? They are a hoot to ski on though.

Before you mention parks though, OK, I will admit that you need twin tips. But what does the short length get you? And, on piste?

Cheers

DM
latest report
As clowns have traditionally skied on big feet it was a natural progression that they should move to blades.
snow conditions
David M, I have trouble on icy slopes with skis but on blades it is much easier to dig in. Moguls and very bumpy pistes become great fun on blades as you have the choice to ride over or around them so can travel much faster than skis. Light weight and easier manoeuvrebility adds up to less fatigue so you can ride longer. On the downside, they are rubbish off-piste and at very high speed skis feels more stable. Although skis cost more to wax it costs less than facepaint!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy