Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Must see/do in St. Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to a lack of accomodations, our trip to Cortina is being replaced with a trip to St. Anton. As we are not from Europe, where should we ski? Should we get a guide? We ski a lot in the States but two of our party are intermediates and I am advanced. In the states, they prefer blue (intermediate) runs over our black (advanced). Are your beginner runs blue then red then black? Does one lift ticket get you anywhere in the area? Are lift tickets based on number of lifts taken? What night life should we experience? Any must see ski runs? Any mountain top bars to experience? We will be there jan. 25-28. We are flying to Stuttgart and staying with friends for a few days and renting a car to get to St. Anton. We'll rent skis there as well. Thanks for your help. Jerry in Indianapolis
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
miserbank0312, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead. I can answer some of your questions. Others will give specifics on St Anton. There is another thread running now on St Anton. Try the search engine in User Facilities.
Total beginner runs might even be green. Then blue, red and black. These are all gradings for prepared pistes. One lift pass will cover a large area - usually the whole resort - and you pay by the day not by the number of lifts used.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
miserbank0312,

Welcome Jerry, you will get loads of advice here about St A as it is a great resort. You have chosen so well.
The skiing is tough and as difficult as you want to make it. Go to the very top of the cable cars and chose your line down.
It is do-able for blue skiers but they may find it tough. A blue here is no easy blue in most cases.
But the grading is the same blue -easy, red- middle and black- tough it is just that St A reds are blacks elsewhere.
Any resonable skier will get something out of this area but the better you are the more interesting it becomes.

You will not need a guide to get around the area unless you are going off-piste as the map is easy to read.
If you want to clock up the Valluga they will not let you up the top stage lift with skis without a guide so it will be a view only.
Must-do runs are anything served by the big cable car...I can't pronounce them.

I don't know if you have skied in Europe before but St Anton is one of the very best resorts in the world let alone the alpes. It excels in off-piste and apre-ski.
Find the KK ( Krazy kangeroo ) or Moosewirt on the 4 oclock round home...you will not be able to miss them, the noise will be booming, and they are opposite each other on the piste. Any time after 4 and it will be packed...

Take a bus to Zurs and Lech which are on the same pass for some cruising for your friends. Its a day out. You can ski from St Anton to Stuben or St Christoph and catch the bus and just make sure you know what time the last post bus leaves from Zurs. This is all within the scope of an intermediate skier but as the area is huge I am not sure you will be used to this.
If you need any advice in the resort there are plenty of ski-bums who may show you around for the price of a few beers..

St Anton... A fantastic place... extend your holiday now, you will only want to once you get there
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jerry, you'll have a blast, as everyone has said a great resort, what's really good aboutr St Anton IMHO is that for just about every pisted run there is an off-piste variant. There are some great restaurants as well the Mittlehutte and the Alterhutte, the Underground always used to be a good bar music & atmosphere. You won't believe KK and the Mosserwirt. Try skiing Rendl, it's often negleted but it's very sunny and there's some good off-piste to be found there. For ski-hire try Jennerwein, they have a big shop in the complex opposite the Galtur cable station. Another good stop at lunchtime is the Hospice at St Christoph.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only thing to add to that is that you should also get across to Stuben and ski the Albona. Nice empty pistes, and absolutely brilliant off-piste.
And try the Rodlerhuette. It's an intersting run down a bobsleigh track to get there, and not many people seem to know about it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax wrote:
Another good stop at lunchtime is the Hospice at St Christoph.

Mike Lawrie wrote:
And try the Rodlerhuette. It's an intersting run down a bobsleigh track to get there, and not many people seem to know about it!

Can't add much to all the good advice above expect to urge you to have stops at both of those mountain restaurants while you're there. The Hospice Alm at St Christoph is justifiably famous and is a lovely stop for lunch (but watch out for the goats on the way to the bathroom!)

St Anton has a great atmosphere and if you've not experienced skiing in Austria before then you're in for a treat. Enjoy your vacation snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm off to St Anton for the third time next week. It's a great resort with fantastic skiing and apres ski.

One thing that I've missed out on so far has been the mountain restaurants as I've generally been too busy skiing to stop for lunch. This time I quite fancy a few longer lunches.

Any suggestions (with specific directions please) for restaurants for lunch in all areas including Lech and Zurs please?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back from St.A, just wrote an epic reply in the Snow Reports thread - basically

bestplaceintheworld EVER

Mooservit rules.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome Jerry. David@traxvax, means that Jennewein is opposite the Gampenbahn (Gampen cable station) not Galtur. Galtur is near Ischgl which is a 45 min drive away. Which, as a matter of fact, you should visit as you have a car. It is a large cruisy area full of our blues and reds and I think your party would love to spend one or two days there as well as St Anton, Lech and Zurs. I would try and spread your time between all these.

Restaurants. As well as the others mentioned 'up mountain' try the Alberghoe in St Christophe. The one at Gampen mid-station is really well worth missing. In St Anton if you want to eat well then book at Ben Venuto's or the Hazienda.

Back to Jennewien for a moment. There are 3 Jennewein shops. The main shop which sells, a rental shop (the one near the Gampenbahn) and one up at the Gampen middle station. This last shop means that you can exchange skis whilst "up mountain" if you want to try a different ski, or get some adjustment made.

Bars up mountain - there are also the Zen Hutte for crazy german oompah music, Griabli for Rock music. Bars down mountain - tons!

Not to be missed - get the 6 man cable car up to the top of Valluga and enjoy the views. Eat at the Alberghof in St Christophe and slide down to the toilets (go there and you'll see what I mean) - I think its the Alberghof - it's on the right hand side as you ski down and has a sunny terrace - when it's sunny. Get a guide for a day and ask him/her what they recommend as a not a to be missed.

A week is too short - book for two!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BOOthy, thanks for the correction, you're absolutely right. They'll also eexchange skis at the bottom shop opr they did when I was last in St Anton, mind you that was 5 years ago.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, they do exchange skis as many times as you like. Local Tip: Introduce yourself to Gogo in the rental shop. He runs the place. You can not possibly miss him. He's the one at the desk with the long hair and longer beard that is well chilled out. He's a great guy. Another tip: if you want something different or want to trial skis then go across to the main shop. which is near the roundabout - you'll see it!. Downstairs has excellent staff. In particular speak to Jeff, an american who lives in St Anton. He really knows his stuff. It also has a great boot fitting service and facility.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I rented my skis from Alber sport in the town, the same shop that happens to be at the top of the gampen/nasserein lifts. On the last day I rented some blades at the top one and when I took my boots back at the bottom one later on in the day, they charged my for one set of boots + one set of blades, great system, especially if you have problems on the mountain and need a change of kit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy