Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich airport closed due to snow

Poster: A snowHead
I've just seen a Facebook post from Snow Camps Europe that was posted 7 hours ago that says Munich airport is closed due to the heavy snowfall and there will be no air traffic until 6am on 3rd December.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a pic from a mate in Dachau, a few km from MUC. It was very snowy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, whole bunch of people supposed to have been flying out with Alpine Coaching (Pete Gillespie) and a load from Gloucester Ski centre also heading up to Tux, all delayed to tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Update from The Dachau Garden snowometer: 43cm today.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surviving '43 in Dachau...there's probably a tasteless joke there somewhere...but on reflection, I better not!! Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, not only MUC. The entire railway system has shut down. Munich is not reachable by train, and there are no S-Bahn (local) trains running. Updates on Monday.
Have not seen snow like this here since 2006. Lots of (big) trees come down around us here (south of Munich near Starnberg)... The dog is loving it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steilhang, well I'm due to be collected from my B&B in Lanersbach tomorrow morning by Four Seasons Travel/Tirol taxi for my 15:50 flight from Munich airport back to London, so here's hoping both the roads and the flights are working OK tomorrow! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, should be ok. Autobahns are clear & MUC is resuming operations...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No flights in to Munich again today apparently
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swskier, flight radar is showing a small number of planes landing in Munich. By tomorrow stuff will normalise I think
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We finally arrived in Munich on Sunday evening (last night). We had been trying to get here since Friday.

Unfortunately the airline have lost our bags and skis. We could have driven down to the Zillertal this morning, but we have decided to stay in Munich with family. With all the chaos at the airport we think the fastest way to get our stuff back will be to pick it up from the airport ourselves when/if it is located.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oceanic, i've heard multiple different people say they're now missing bags from Munich this weekend!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oceanic wrote:
We finally arrived in Munich on Sunday evening (last night). We had been trying to get here since Friday.

Unfortunately the airline have lost our bags and skis. We could have driven down to the Zillertal this morning, but we have decided to stay in Munich with family. With all the chaos at the airport we think the fastest way to get our stuff back will be to pick it up from the airport ourselves when/if it is located.

I really recommend airtags. Then you'd know better than the airline where the bags are. The airport should ship the luggage to your hotel. My skis turned up 3 days late in Zell am See after enjoying a roundabout journey LHR>Vienna>Frankfurt>Salzburg

Bit late now I know, and hope you find your stuff soon, but they are surely a must have for any skier (who has an iphone...)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buchanan101 wrote:

I really recommend airtags. Then you'd know better than the airline where the bags are. The airport should ship the luggage to your hotel. My skis turned up 3 days late in Zell am See after enjoying a roundabout journey LHR>Vienna>Frankfurt>Salzburg

Bit late now I know, and hope you find your stuff soon, but they are surely a must have for any skier (who has an iphone...)

I’m fairly sure that our bags are in Brussels (my wife talked to the baggage handler who had unloaded our flight).

Problem is that Lufthansa/ Brussels Airlines have cancelled all their flights from Brussels to Munich today.

But yes- suspect AirTag sales will go up as a result of the Munich Airport chaos of the last few days.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 4-12-23 13:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@buchanan101,
Quote:

I really recommend airtags

What are these, have you got a link please?
snow report
@Markymark29, Apple AirTags: https://www.apple.com/uk/airtag/
We had them in all our luggage for the NZ trip, and we generally knew whether or not the luggage had made it to the airport with us (in one case, we were sitting against the rear bulkhead behind which the luggage was stored, so it was never far enough away to lose contact!). They were transferred to car keys etc. on return, so still in use. The only thing is that the Apple keyring holders are a bit flimsy, so we went for screw-in ones from another manufacturer on Amazon.
snow report
AirTags were also great finding our bags at disembarking the Queen Mary 2 in the Brooklyn seaport hangar so we could be first through US immigration...

Good also at baggage claim when skis are often last through - or go on a trolley somewhere - or just generally seeing how far bags are from coming on to the carousel.

Or if the bags are still back at LHR...

@Markymark29, they rely on lots of people having iphones - they see the nearest phone and the location is reported via the cloud. When close to them your phone will give you direction and distance to them. A pack of 4 is about £90 (skis, boots, suitcase, backpack...)

Size of a large coin, battery lasts about a year.
snow conditions
They're clever things. A dozy friend has them for her car keys! But at present they're only for iphones, and I'm an Android person....
latest report
@pam w, There are alternatives that work with Android. Here are a few: https://www.androidauthority.com/apple-airtags-alternatives-1222793/
latest report
When I looked into that reviews seemed mixed
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Steilhang, well I'm due to be collected from my B&B in Lanersbach tomorrow morning by Four Seasons Travel/Tirol taxi for my 15:50 flight from Munich airport back to London, so here's hoping both the roads and the flights are working OK tomorrow! Madeye-Smiley

Well I got to Munich airport about 13:30, checked in my hold bags then went through security. Dozy me had inadvertently left my spare Rottefella Telemark binding spring tube in my backpack rather than packing it in my hold bag. rolling eyes It's a cylindrical metal tube containing a spring, it caused a few scratched heads amongst the security checkers but thankfully they eventually let me through with it. Smile

My BA flight departure which should have been 15:55 is currently showing about an hour's delay, so I'm in the business class lounge having some food and drinks in the meantime.
ski holidays
Hope you make it eventually, @Alastair Pink, but the business class lounge sounds OK - could be worse!
latest report
@pam w, thanks, the Leberkäse was quite tasty. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Trains have also been battered by the snow. Not just planes.

Germany in chaos. Transport system not as efficient as they once were.
snow report
All take offs and landings cancelled at Munich between 6am and 12 noon tomorrow - freezing rain. Limited service resuming in the afternoon.
latest report
@Oceanic, sounds like I was lucky then that my BA flight eventually took off from Munich about one and a half hours late (about an hour late in pushing back from the stand then it had to be de-iced). However I've been waiting over an hour now in the Heathrow baggage reclaim for any bags from the flight to be delivered...... rolling eyes

Edit: bags finally arrived after waiting 1 hour 20 mins in the baggage reclaim hall. Sad
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
@Oceanic, i've heard multiple different people say they're now missing bags from Munich this weekend!

10,000 items of baggage were lost at Munich Airport in the last few days. Apparently there were problems opening doors to the luggage hold of multiple aircraft due to icing.

https://www.bild.de/regional/muenchen/muenchen-aktuell/flughafen-muenchen-nach-schnee-sperrung-und-eisregen-10-000-koffer-weg-86331956.bild.html
latest report
Then they werent lost, the airline and airport knew exactly where they were.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Information for today on Munich airport's website:

"There are still severe restrictions in air traffic. The flight schedule is severely reduced due to the extreme weather conditions.

Please contact your airline before traveling to the airport to find out the status of your flight. If your flight is canceled, please use the airlines' online services, as there is insufficient capacity available at the airport for rebooking.

The Christmas and Winter Market will be closed until Friday, 8.12.23., and the light rides will not take place."
latest report
Yes it has been chaos all round. The snow was not especially heavy but a lot fell in a short time, early December snow caught out lots of people, it was also pretty wet snow and the temperature then dropped so the various piles quickly turned into concrete. We then had an ice storm on Monday night (especially bad around Freising ie the airport). The trains are just about back to "normal" (not that has been good recently) the airport is still under stress. Dont assume your flight will run if in the next few days.

Lufthansa completely fell over, they turned the phones off and the online system stopped working, some folk been living at the airport since Friday! There are pictures doing the rounds of planes tipping back due to the weight of snow on the tail fins!
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
Lufthansa completely fell over, they turned the phones off and the online system stopped working, some folk been living at the airport since Friday! There are pictures doing the rounds of planes tipping back due to the weight of snow on the tail fins!

Well I normally fly Lufthansa to Munich, but this time because of departure times it was more convenient for me to fly BA, sounds like that was a good idea. If Lufthansa had their phones turned off and the online system was down I imagine there will have been many frustrated passengers unable to contact Lufthansa? Sad

I'd be interested to see any pictures of planes tipped back due to weight of snow on the tail fins, are they genuine? Any links would be appreciated, thanks. Smile
snow report
@Alastair Pink, I haven’t seen any pics of aircraft tipping up but there’s one here frozen to the ground, ironically it was due to fly to Dubai for the COP.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/656160-aircraft-due-fly-dubai-global-warming-summit.html
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I presume that's the image I had heard about, looks like it has tipped back to me. The weather has been pretty unusual, snow we can generally cope with, laugh at the UK grinding to a halt when two snow flakes are spotted, but this has been very unusual and frustrating for those stuck.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, 1933 was a date I heard since it was that bad. I’ve been to Munich quite a few times mostly in Winter and generally it all works fine. Buddy in Dachau is WFH and his garden has disappeared!
ski holidays
Aircraft tipped with snow pics in this article
https://www.krone.at/3184588
snow report
There is a lot of whinging in the local media about the chaos, various comments about Munich turning into Berlin etc. It has not gone unnoticed that not far away in the Tirol they got pretty much the same weather but no chaos there, the trains are running and the airports open! The trains around Garmisch are still not running apparently DB is waiting for the weather to warm up!
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
There is a lot of whinging in the local media about the chaos, various comments about Munich turning into Berlin etc. It has not gone unnoticed that not far away in the Tirol they got pretty much the same weather but no chaos there, the trains are running and the airports open! The trains around Garmisch are still not running apparently DB is waiting for the weather to warm up!

Trains here were certainly disrupted, funnily enough the biggest problem was the Deutches Eck preventing travel between Innsbruck and Salzburg. Looking on the weather radar it did look like the worst of the storm passed through Bavaira rather than Tirol. We certainly haven't had the ice storm issues that you guys had.
ski holidays
Does anyone know if any other airports were affected at the end of last week? I believe my Lufthansa flight to Vienna was cancelled due to consolidation rather than snow (we were rerouted via Zurich and Frankfurt), but as we weren't given an explanation, I don't actually know. Some flights out of Zurich were cancelled on Thursday evening (we had to find a hotel), but again I don't know why or which airport was the affected one (I suspect snow in this case, as there was some at both on arrival, but not loads). I guess that could have been a knock-on effect from Munich?
snow conditions
@Scarlet, I think it’s fair to say that Munich was at the epicentre of the bad weather. But conditions across Europe were less than ideal for flying, snow and fog in the UK etc.

Delays unfortunately build up as the well oiled machine that is civil aviation is running at near full capacity. Flight delays compound, cancellations or aircraft stuck in the wrong place remove them from the game, crews run up against crew duty times, deicing takes time and causes delays and so on. You then get ATC delays as you can’t fit 18 hours worth of flights into 12 hours when things start moving.

Actually tracking back to go find out what caused your delay is nigh on impossible. Butterflies flapping wings and all that!
latest report
@chocksaway, I believe we are eligible for compensation if it was due to the airline cockups, but not for weather. We'd at least like the hotel and food costs back – Zurich is not cheap – and we have it it writing that they were going to book us into a hotel, it's just that they never did. I was out of contact for about 32 hours, and clearly a lot can happen in that time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy