Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
We've been in Niederau since Saturday.
On Sunday we skied hopfgarten, found it limited but ok in the morning, afternoon was chopped up and Spring like and hard work!!
Today we took the bus over to auffach / alpbach and the skiing was surprisingly good. Not all runs are open, nothing below mid station, but the runs that were open were wide and well maintained until around 2pm, at which point they became chopped up and harder work.

With the temps due to fall this week and snow forecast I'd say those coming out in the next couple of weeks should have enough to keep them happy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Beans, I'm sure everything will be OK by the 16th, it is forecast to start snowing on Friday and carry on for a few days. I am teaching beginners this week and there is plenty for them and more advanced skiers. The only people who are really struggling are lower intermediates where there are currently no more challenging blues or easy reds open. The blues on the mountain do have nearly enough man made snow on them to open but there are no access routes with snow on, 10 cm of snow will quickly sort that out.
Keep dancing!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dam I fall in to the lower intermediate !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i'm also out on 16th and not panicking. Things change quickly and a few days of snow will make all the difference. Last year the first couple of days were not great but then we had snow and it was superb.
Keep the faith Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Beans, Just keep an eye on forecasts. Some snow expected over next week or so, which with more of the man made stuff, will significantly improve things. Count yourself lucky that you didn't pick Christmas/New Year period to travel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Beans: There is really no great need to pre-book skis, lift pass and lessons before getting here. We never pre-book and my son always gets his skis without any difficulty. As for the lift pass - that really isn't worth doing beforehand and I am sure the local ski-school will be more than happy to have your business on arrival! When are you coming? The only pressure point is this week between Xmas & New Year. Thereafter they'll be plenty of spare capacity in both the ski schools and ski hire shops.

If you wait until you get out here then you can assess the conditions and decide what is best. For example, we have been content to ski most mornings and so we have chosen to simply buy half-day lift passes when needed. In these sunny, warm conditions the snow is best in the mornings before it goes to mush and gets piled up into moguls in the afternoon. And the mountains are beautiful and you can walk and find lovely local café for coffee and cakes in the afternoons.

The local nursery slope in Niederau looks decent. It's all artificial snow and not as magical because everywhere else is green but the slope isn't too busy with no queues for the little drag lift. If I was just starting then I would rather learn on this nursery slope than high up on the slushy, busy slopes (there is a temperature inversion right now whereby is warmer at altitude than in the valley). The ribbon of white stuff above Niederau isn't that great and there are a lot of early intermediates struggling because it's very icy under a thin layer of artificial snow. The descent is a red run too from the Panarama Restaurant at the top of the cable car. Things are better above Scheffau but not by much - too many folk, lots of queueing (we waited for 7mins to get onto the Chairlift this morning) and the piste is no longer anywhere near its best this week - most folk will go home on Saturday as work beckons next week.

So my advice is, hold off - don't pre-book. Wait and see what the conditions are like and you might save yourself a few pennies too. Things are changing and there will be some snow coming in the next week or so.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As Arianne says no need to pre-book. If you're with a TO then they'll be selling lift passes on the bus. If not then simply pop up to the lift station. Ski school will not be busy and you may be lucky (like my son last year) and only have a couple of people in the group. If you're booking equipment try "Snowbrainer" as they were the cheapest option for hire in Niederau (much cheaper than the TO or going direct to the shops).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As Arianne says the nursery slope is absolutely fine and actually our beginners this week are doing better than usual Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ha @carolyn, you missed the bit about the snow cannons running during the night for the first time in 2 weeks, still running now!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowing!!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 10cm in the village this morning!

To accompany good news, what is the luckiest apres in town? We were in the cave until silly o'clock last night, any other options?

Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from another enjoyable time in Niederau (despite the conditions).

For lessons, the Red Ski School have always suggested popping in on arrival rather than pre-booking even for Xmas and New Year weeks.

Skiing at Aufach/Alpbach was reasonable until early afternoon, so with limited snow the key was start early ski hard and until after lunchtime and then have a late lunch. There was a small amount of snow on New Year's Eve at higher points which made a huge difference to the quality of the slopes on a very quiet New Year's Day. From now with smaller crowds of skiiers and snow, things should be fine. Considering how little snow there has been, the amount open and the quality is a fantastic achievement.

A few general observations for anyone heading out....

1) The Witch Alm - This new bar/restaurant raises the bar as far as look. Also the rotisserie chicken is superb (schnitzel and ribs portions are huge!). A good lunch place but with teething problems as only opened Xmas eve so some people waited a while for their food.

2) The Turnip Inn. Another new place with which does food a little different to the standard Tyrolean fare. Very friendly as everywhere seems to be in Niederau.

Both of the above are non-smoking too!

Also for anyone contemplating next Xmas, the Xmas day carol service was great fun, my 6 year old sang her heart out through all the carols (even when she did not know them!).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just looked at the webcam and the green/brown bits are now white! Let's hope it keeps going for the next 2 weeks !

The Turnip Inn is the new place owned by Tom who owns the Apsley Hotel. Had a look around last year when he'd just taken it over and hadn't done anything to it. Seen the photos on Facebook now it's been refurbished and it looks great. I'll be popping in two weeks from today to try it out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like they are pisting the Stenzer this morning Smile Minus 1 and yesterday's snow still here! I also like the new folk in Bobo's who are very friendly and are quick to serve great food. All except the Cave, Flatcher's and Schnappshutte I think are non smoking, so far as I am aware. Glad you enjoyed the Carol Service, we really look forward to it too. Keep dancing for more snow Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This morning

Very Happy
latest report
Not a bad view to start the day Very Happy
snow conditions
That look's much better - unfortunately I won't be visiting this year but I hope the season picks up and goes well for those in the Wildschoenau
snow report
It's all getting ready for me to turn up there in just over 3 weeks time.
latest report
Oh dear we keep having lots of snow in the forecasts but doesn't amount to much. Again we are expecting snow all this week but so far dry and plus one this morning. Having said that, the runs are holding up well, especially the beginners area thank goodness. Shame you're not around, Eggrider, catch you next time Smile Looking forward to seeing you Rhiannon, and we will try our best for snow for you. Mittermoose is open and awaiting you!
snow conditions
@carolyn, oh dear indeed. But dry is better than the rain we have thundering down. Fingers crossed the snow comes this week for all of us.
How are the new Brunner apartments?
ski holidays
@carolyn, I will try to bring the snow with me if it doesn't arrive sooner. Looking forward to Mittermoos again. Have the pink lensed goggles now to see where I am going even in flat light. I was reviewing hotels near Birmingham airport last night with a view to staying in one the night before I fly out in case winter has arrived at last. Don't want to miss my 6am flight. snowHead
ski holidays
Been out for a blast this morning, about 20cm fresh at the top although nothing but rain in the village yesterday. Mittermoos was in superb condition this morning although the valley run was a bit sketchy towards the bottom. When I came in for lunch it was snowing heavily in the village. Temperatures are set to fall over the next few days and more snow is forecast.

latest report
More snow overnight and winds calmed down. Looks like it will be a good day Smile You'll need those goggles when it snows! Brunner apartments opened on time and the building looks very smart. Have had good reports from folk staying there so far, too Smile
ski holidays
@carolyn, good news on all fronts then. We feel a visit coming on, for old times sake, but that don't be till next year.
latest report
Well we had blizzards yesterday and the snow cannons have been working overtime Smile Sunny and cold now so off up to check it all for you Smile
snow report
Glorious sunshine day yesterday.

Kropfrader now full width

Oi don't nick our snow cannons (it's ok he put it on Tennladen)

It's waiting for you @J Rhiannon,

Snow cannons were running all day and all night with another light dusting of natural snow overnight. Snowing quite heavily again now!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 15-01-16 7:36; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Forecast suggesting rain from the 22nd / 23rd. How likely do you think it is that it will materialize? Arriving on the 23rd and would hate to get there and its raining Sad
latest report
Looking great. I'll be on my way soon. Only a couple of weeks to go. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Don87, looking at the weather charts shows nothing but uncertainty that far out at the moment.

After the 18th all of the lines move apart which shows very little certainty in the outcome.
snow conditions
Looks great only one more day
ski holidays
Hopefully be there early enough to get out tomorrow afternoon !
snow conditions
Just cleared another 15cm off the car park, still snowing and forecast to continue all the way through tomorrow.
snow report
Been snowing all day - looking forward to tomorrow!
snow report
OK we can stop dancing for a while!! Lots and lots of snow and pretty as a postcard Smile Think today more snow and then some sunshine is on the cards. Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
-11 in the village this morning, skies are clearing after 48 hours of more or less continuous snow. Looks like an epic day!
snow conditions
Some photos later on today would be good then. Please. snowHead
snow conditions
Here you are @J Rhiannon, a bit late but worth the wait. Sorry they are all off the lift but I was working.

-16 in the valley this morning Brrr

ski holidays
Looks glorious. Hope it keeps it up for a few weeks.

Working is always good. It signifies there is enough snow for people to turn up wanting lessons.

-16C is not a problem. It was colder than that when we were there in about 2013. -24C then. snowHead
ski holidays
Great photos. Can't wait for the annual pilgrimage to Niederau at end of Feb. I learned to ski in Niederau about 35 years ago and have brought my kids to learn here as well. Love the place and the people I have made good friends over the years it's always great to go back and see them.
snow conditions
@mgratts, Welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy