Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
Testing the snow cannons this morning Smile They work!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yippee! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weather looks lovely out there, Carolyn. Just need the temperatures to drop.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes and we hear it is due to turn much colder in the next week or so. We are having frosts at night now and the orange fencing beside the speed trap is back, turnstiles at the Harfenwirt lift, too. Will let you know the minute it snows!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Needs to get colder here in sunny South Wales too. Shirt sleeves weather. Daft for November
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Woohoo! Are you there already.? snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris_n, are you back out here already? You're early this year! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@J Rhiannon, @Samerberg Sue, been here nearly all year. Went back to UK for a couple of months after last season then came back until end of September. Back to the UK for October and back here start of November.

Not a huge amount of snow come down yet but still snowing lightly, snow cannons have been on all night.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some people are just so lucky. 🍀
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ha ha still snowing gently and the cannons happily working. Not long now Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking good esp as it looks to stay cold with various amounts of snow coming down during the week Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well the snowfall didn't amount to much at all but the important thing is it is very cold (-7) this morning and forecast to stay cold. Cannons are now running at all levels.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing steadily this morning, looking more like winter now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chris_n, wonderful news, we're out there for 2 weeks arriving on Boxing day - very excited!!!
snow report
Even snowing heavily down in Worgl this morning!

Ploughing the road outside the Auhof this morning

A couple of views now the cloud has lifted a little

latest report
Super!!! Cool
ski holidays
looks stunning!!
latest report
There are worse things in the world to look at......
snow conditions
Opening day at Auffach today so popped along the valley to try it out. As expected it was very quiet with mainly locals out skiing. Glorious blue skies an largely man made snow in very good condition made for an enjoyable day.

ski holidays
@Chris_n, looks great, thanks for posting!
I presume with the warm spell there isn't too much open at the moment?
snow conditions
@jellemr, it's not so much the warm spell but more to do with the fact that nowhere else is supposed to be open yet. Niederau is scheduled to open in 2 weeks time and while all of the natural snow lower down has gone all of the man made stuff is still there. There has been a temperature inversion for the last week or so which means all of the runs into the valley and the village slopes themselves have had a permanent 24 hour frost.
Temperatures are set to fall so snowmaking can resume and we must all keep the snow dancing up.

Was at Auffach again today, the run down to the Alpbach gondola is as good as it has ever been and the run to Auffach middle station is also in very good condition. Still very quiet as tourism does not really start until the weekend when it is the opening party.
snow report
@Chris_n, that looks like a nice steep slope to get stuck into. Nice piccies to look at when taking a break from work in a very mild Wales.
snow report
@Chris_n, good to hear, we're out from Boxing day for 2 weeks, the snow dancing has begun in earnest!!
@dobby, agreed, @Chris_n, what run is that steep one?
snow report
@dobby, it a shot taken from the Alpbach link gondola so that would be the Wurmegg also known as paste 13 at Auffach.
@jellemr, I'm hoping for snow before then as we have family coming out for the first 2 weeks of the season. We have snow forecast for Wednesday and Saturday here at the moment.
snow conditions
Snow cannons working madly here in Niederau and with still a week to go before we start. Auffach and Alpbach yesterday were in great condition and skiing to the middle station in Auffach really fine. Hoping for real snow of course but the skiing is absolutely fine Smile Have already been teaching over in Auffach and all is well!
snow report
@carolyn, good to hear, nervously looking at weather forecasts and it all looks rather warm!!
latest report
Any updates of conditions Carolyn?? We're out for two weeks from boxing day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see from the Skijuwel site that Red 19 is open and Black 15 too (though it shows the access to it closed).

Beginners slope too - will they last a week without new snow or at least cold temperatures? Looking but grim for busy New Years week.
latest report
Well i have to say we are all dancing madly but no more snow in the next week or so's forecast. The Red 19 is indeed open as is one nursery slope and half of another. The Black 15 is also skiable and overnight we had good frosts so we hope they'll hold up well. Auffach was fine down to middle station during the week and we are planning a trip to see how things are there. Daytime we have sunshine all the way although the slopes are north facing here in Niederau so we aren't too worried about that. Nice cold nights mean we can make more snow Smile
snow report
Still no snow but this morning I heard that the local farmers are predicting snow early (4th) Jan and the most for a hundred years!! We will see. The two runs down are still open and frost again overnight. Wish I could give better news Sad
snow report
Let's hope the farmers are right so it's nice and white for 16th !
ski holidays
And so say all of us Smile Went to Going/Ellmau today and not too bad at all. Auffach also apparently holding up well.
ski holidays
Is it quiet in the village Carolyn?
snow conditions
I hope there right aswell Graucho I am going on the 16th aswell !
snow conditions
Very quiet and peaceful so far but next week is much busier
snow conditions
carolyn wrote:
Very quiet and peaceful so far but next week is much busier

We arrive tomorrow, just before it gets very busy!

Am wondering how best to manage where to ski with 6 year old in lessons from Sunday and wanting to get the best skiing we can with the forecast being absent of snow through to New Year. Might ski Ellmau/Going on Friday and Kitz on Saturday.
snow report
@carolyn, how do you think the local runs will hold up given the weather and crowds next week?
Are conditions better / worse in Alpbach & Aufach than Niederau? We were considering booking a few private lessons next week, but if there's little open might be tempted to book lessons in Hopfgarten / Ellmau / Scheffau depending on conditions etc.
ski holidays
We have been skiing above Scheffau since 20 December. The best skiing is on piste no. 64, 67, 69 and 61 (back to the base station). Catch the Brandstadl gondola. Between Brandstadl and Eiberg the pistes are broad and in good condition. No. 64 is an interesting blue run. The others are red runs. The home run from Brandstadl to Scheffau base station is the best but you need to be prepared to ski the black section in the middle of the top section since the cat-track blue link is narrow and not fun. All these pistes are in good condition, wall-2-wall artificial snow and the lift system is fast with eight person chairlifts servicing all of these pistes. The chairlift servicing blue run 64 is the best I've experienced with a conveyer to load you, automatic safety bar and heated seats (not that you'll need it since it's pretty warm in the cloudless sky). There are numerous restaurants to choose from too. As for the little one.... as we have been ascending in the gondola we can see that the nursery slopes (I think) in the valley at Scheffau look good too. However, one word of warning: after 26 December it is all set to be chaos with far too may people descending on too little snow. Even if the lift system copes the few pistes that are in good condition will be packed and the mixture of beginners and (too) fast racers does not bode well.

As for the Wildschonau, there are some small nursery slopes open in Niederau and there is skiing on Markbachjoch, albeit limited and somewhat narrow. The top section of piste no.2 between Schatzberg and Kogelmoos Bergrestaurant middle-station is open and, although I have not tried it yet, it looks pretty wide and white from the valley when looking across from Oberau and Roggenboden.

Westendorf was rubbish yesterday though. Narrow, badly cut up and I think the two gondola create a complex and irritating combination. Plenty of steps to access the Alpenrose gondola and the Choralp gondola has an escalator after you get off at the top together with more steps before emerging to piste 111. Best avoided right now.

Hope this helps. Be prepared to perhaps do other stuff other than skiing at the busiest times which shouldn't be difficult in the sunny, cloudless conditions we have for the next week or so.

Arianne
snow report
I have got to say I am reilly feeling disappointed with the weather I need to book my skis and lift pass and lessons not such wot to do
Do I book them and hope for the best or save my money and cut my losses
Does anyone no if the snow has come this late before
Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy