Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm going skiing in Norway (Hemsedal) next week, and as a complete beginner I'll be taking lessons in the resort.

The ski school have offered me a variety of options and I have no idea what to do! I can have group lessons over 5 days, private lessons over 3 days, or a one day intensive training session with a personal trainer.

I'm guessing group lessons would be a great way to meet people, but I'm worried that I'll be a bit slow on the uptake and might need one-on-one contact with an instructor!

At the same time, I've also been told that one full day with a personal trainer will be too much to take in for a first timer and will go straight over my head.....and that a short lesson every day is more sensible.....

Please help - I'm totally confused!!!! Any advice?

Claire
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First-timer, Welcome to snowHeads!

Difficult question! From my own experience I think I'd have done better with a bit more personal tuition....I really didn't take to skiing at first. If you're a bit of a natural you'll have a great time in a group - much more fun falling down and laughing! Don't worry about being slow on the uptake....I was and it didn't bother anyone! (It took me two weeks in complete beginners classes to even manage to stay on my feet!!)

If it were me (and you'll need to check the ski school flexbility) I'd book the group lesson for 5 days, give it a try for days 1 & 2 then transfer to private lessons if you don't think you're getting on as well as you might. Best of both worlds....get to have fun in a group but still leave your options open for some intensive training if you need it.

Have a great first holiday....you'll be back here, desperate to go again and hooked in no time!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First-timer,

I have never had lessons but I would think the best option is the group lessons. It is a great way to meet people in the same boat and that is always a laugh. One on one is quiet intensive and expensive I imagine and so therefore something to consider in the future...

Don't worry about being a bit slow...The ski school should be able to move quick learners onto another class if it gets a problem.

In a group you will want to take your turn laughing at everybody else's mistakes...and I mean everybodies..!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is tough, I started last year and I was in a multiday group thing with a lesson in the monr and then one after lunch..... the first morning was a disater and I had to be shifted down to a less able class..... at this point, no amount of teaching in the world was going to help so had I been on an intensive 1 to 1, then it would have been wasted. However, after lunch first day, it clicked and I was off..... possibly at that point, I might have benefitted from more personal teaching. What im trying to say is that chances are that neither one will be totally right or totally wrong..... but I would recommend the multi day group purely on the basis that if day one goes badly, then there is always another day. If on a 1 day intensive and day one goes badly..... then you are stuffed!

ad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First-timer, thanks for joining us!

I used to teach lots of beginners to ski. If the instructor is good he'll take the class along at a sensible pace, allowing everyone to gain confidence. It's definitely a good idea to take a lesson every day, as you won't find that skiing in the first days is something that you can self-teach. A few simple concepts grasped every day is the best way to learn.

The all-day intensive thing will be too tiring and overwhelming. The 3-day private course might be OK, but what will you do on the other days?

I'd go for it with the group classes, explain to the instructor that you're a bit apprehensive (I don't know the Norwegian for that word) and if he/she is any good they will be sensitive and supportive.

Have a great holiday!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Group lessons every time for the first few years.
Quote:

A few simple concepts grasped every day is the best way to learn.

Its definitely best to concentrate on one new thing at a time and while you are doing that you tend to forget the ten other things you were supposed to be doing.

The group bonding as you are "all in the same boat" can be excellent as well. Lots of laughs which is what it is all about. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads, First-timer. Nice name, BTW.
Quote:

a personal trainer

you mean a private ski instructor. A personal trainer is what you get down the gym. snowHead

Quite frankly, and this is just personal, but I think complete-never-skied-before-novices should be spending at least 5 consecutive half days under instruction during their first week on snow.

At any level, but more so for novices, the less time you spend under instruction, the less chance you have your (inevitable) mistakes corrected and the longer it will take to become a profient skier (i.e. to be able to really start to enjoy yourself).

As a novice what you need most of all is to spend as much time as possible getting used to moving around on your skis, and to simultaneously receive instruction. During novice lessons a lot of time is spent by the instructor waiting around while you to learn how things feel, rather than instructing you. So at complete novice level you tend to naturally waste a lot of valuable teaching time. It's not a problem to the instructor, that's just what happens.

And on that note, private instructors are hellishly expensive compared to group rates. Usually only footballers of their wives can afford to retain a private instructor for 5 days. Which is why the rest of us start off in a 5 day group jobbie.

However once you've mastered the basics then private instructors are often considered a better bet than group lessons, and at that point they needn't cost the earth.

btw, EVERYONE is slow on the uptake when they first start out.... see how you do in a group format, you'll probably surprise yourself. In any case, why do you think you'd need one-on-one contact? Did you do THAT badly at school (which is full of group instruction) ????? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies and advice. It looks like group lessons get a unanimous vote so I'm not going to argue with that!

I'll be back here in a weeks time to let you all know how it went....!

Thanks again everyone,
Claire
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First-timer, We all look forward to hearing how you got on. Don't forget your sun-block!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First-timer, Or your camera - particularly if your instructor is blond and female!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, I think First-timer (Claire) might prefer blond and male....but I'm not making any judgements!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
homphomp, I think the camera was for Masque's benefit. Seems like a one-sided request to me. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homphomp, SShh! Just be glad Masque, didn't give any detailed advice on foot-care! Smile snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky, In that case I stand by my request for blond and male....posted up for all snowHeads to admire!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, seems like a good deal to me..... Blond male.
latest report
Hi guys,

Just so there are no disappointments, I'll get pictures of all blond instructors - male and female...then everyone's happy!

Claire
snow report
And don't forget us girls who have a penchant for the Tall, Dark and Handsome Ski instructors wink

(Will you have any time to ski .. or will you just be standing on the slopes taking snaps of the ski instructors ??? )
ski holidays
I'm with you Sonya - tall dark and handsome everytime!

(I'll do my best to fit a bit of skiing in now and again!)
snow report
Ohhhh, you lot are such Tarts!
snow conditions
Tarts indeed !! No, my mother always said its nice to be nice !! And if I just happen to be really, really nice to tall, dark and handsome ski instructors ... well then she'll just be really, really proud !! Those ski instructors need all the ego-boosts they can get, poor (fit) little things Laughing
latest report
Hi Claire,
Have you thought about a dry slope session or two before you go? Lessons are cheaper (except the likes of xscape), you would gain confindence and get more out of your snow classes.
latest report
Welcome to snowheads

First-timer, You will have fun with others in your group, If you are with a British tour operator. The ski schools are pretty good in Norway unlike "others". DO NOT BOOK A PRIVATE LESSON. You may get one free of charge. I am advised that not many Norwegians take lessons. Of course there may be some Danes there!!

My partner was a ski instructor over there a few years ago. Have the group lesson and enjoy the craic!!

I came back from Norway on Tuesday, Snow not great this year (by their standards). Do take your duty free as the price of the drinks will be the only sore point.

We all want to see ther photo of you coming down the mountain with a grin from ear to ear.
ski holidays
Claire - if you are from the North East and going to Norway where are you flying from ?
ski holidays
Hi guys

Thanks again for your replies and advice. I booked group lessons with the ski school yesterday so I'm all set!

MartinH, I had thought about using a dry slope or even lessons at the snowdome in Leeds but the holiday was booked quite last minute and I just haven't had the time to get there. Hopefully I'll get enough out of the group lessons to make the most of it and enjoy myself anyway!

Roy Hockley, thanks for the advice - I'll be sure to get that photo! Just a quick question, is it true that it costs about £5 for a pint in Norway???? It didn't say that in the brochure! Not really sure what to expect with regards to nightlife - I'm assuming it's pretty casual?

Paul Mason, I booked the holiday through Crystal Ski and they have a charter flight from Birmingham to Fagernes every Sunday so I'm travelling to Birmingham tomorrow. Could have flown from Manchester but it was via Copenhagen and then to Oslo, which meant a 4 hour transfer by rail to Hemsedal. Birmingham should be a 3-4 hour drive I think from up here, although I'm slightly worried about some of the motorways being closed due to the weather!

Fingers crossed anyway!
ski holidays
First-timer, live near the A1(M), it has been closed for most of the morning.
ski holidays
First-timer, Have you looked at getting the train down, I can remember someone saying it was an easy trip and cheap returns were poss.
snow report
First Timer £5.00 is cheap, alcohol is very expensive in Norway.
ski holidays
First-timer, You will be lucky to get a pint for £5.00, The cheapest we found in Oslo was £6.50, naturally enough that was in an Irish Bar. Have not been to Hemsedal, but would imagine that the resort is no different to other places, you will pay a premium price in all resorts compared to further down in the valleys!!.

David@traxvax, was right, the monopol (state run alchohol store) is not cheap, if there are a group of you make sure you know your drinks required and bring them with you. If you have anyone with serious "problems" in the group take bottles from UK if you pay the duty in regular off licences or supermarkets, there should not be a problem providing (1) you have paid the duty in the UK , and (2) You do not get the bottles broken in transit!!! Sad

You could always do as the locals do and drink before you go out (not very social I know but sometimes neccessary). Better still befriend a local with a couple of Glenfiddick's or similar and wait for the inevitable invitation to party with them and there home made hootch.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR- CHEERS, SKOL, PROST, SANTE, LACHIEM, SLANTE!!!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First-timer, Sorry, yes the nightlife is casual. Norwegian people, unlike the Swedes are more reserved at first but once you get to know them you will make a friend for life.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy