Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Naive Snow Question?

Poster: A snowHead
But as a first time skiier should I be worried about the lack of snow in the Alps? I am aware that snowmaking facilities work wonders but will continued lack of snow close slopes etc?

What are the usual Jan snowfalls?

regards

Mick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micksup, a very warm welcome to snowHeads, and hopefully a less warm welcome to the Alps if you'd like some snow.

Disappointing snow winters are part and parcel of the game, though the ski travel industry might not stress this point. This is not a particularly poor one. Snow is a cumulative substance until it melts in the spring, which is why many experienced skiers leave their skiing until quite late in the season and go high in the mountains for deep cover of accumulated snow.

What more can be said? Storms can pound the Alps at any time, and hopefully you'll arrive to a very snowy welcome.

The Ski Club of GB has historic snow records on its website - www.skiclub.co.uk . You may need to join to access them, but generally if you look at these you'll see that slopes above 1500m (say) show an average upward climb in snow depths right into late March, or even into April above 2000m, and then a thawing away.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks David.

So the beginners and nusery slopes in the popular resorts should not be a problem? Are these slopes added to each day by the cannons/guns and hence they remain open.

I am not yet ready to venture too high but would be very disappointed if the learners slopes are not there!

Regards

Mick Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
micksup, where are you planning on going?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, Embarassed - welcome to snowHeads snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saas-fee
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
micksup, that's really good news because Saas Fee is one of the few resorts in the Alps that will virtually guarantee you snow to play on because of its glacier. That means going to the top of the mountain, but it's really spectacular up there, and glaciers generally offer very friendly easy skiing.

Saas Fee's glacier is not all gentle, but I'm sure you'll have a great holiday and if you're taking lessons the instructor will find a good slope for you.

Saas Fee's nursery slopes at village level should be OK because of the resort's altitude, though nothing's guaranteed. Not sure what snowmaking Saas Fee have put in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks David.

I had chosen Saas-Fee following the review in the Where to Ski & Snowboard book that more or less said it would be snow sure. But this has got me thinking about the other resorts without glaciers, do the majority rely on almost 100% snowmaking because the forecasts for the next 10 days is almost bereft of snow and I can't see how they survive otherwise.

Do many wait until the last minute before chosing a resort because of these risks?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
micksup, As a first timer I wouldn't be too bothered there should be snow on a suitable nursery and gentle slopes. The only problem may be if the lack of snow concentrates the skiers onto a smaller area. Where are you going?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
micksup, welcome to snowHeads, don't worry - you'll be fine. There is always enough snow to learn on.

Chris B, I'd guess Saas Fee, but that's only by using my special super mind reading powers.

Or I may have read the threads above wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, That's with being interrupted while posting, the posts weren't there, honest Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
micksup, since the 1970s European resorts have been installing snowmaking systems, and the late 1980s - when there was a run of snow droughts - stimulated the demand.

Artificial snow is actually best avoided, though the technicians are better now at copying natural soft snow. Where artificial snow is most effective is in laying a 'base' of relatively humid heavy snow in the early winter that freezes and acts as the underlay for nature's stuff later on.

As I said above, you might find it best in future to ski later in the winter for more assured accumulated snow, especially if you have to book ahead. On the other hand, if you're able to travel at short notice you can monitor snow reports and ski when conditions are best.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
micksup, although it's nice to ski in perfect snow conditions, even in very poor years you would be very unlucky not to have any snow to ski on. I started skiing 24 years ago and have skied just about every year since then, including lots of trips in early-season. I've never not had enough snow to ski on. If you are planning to ski early season (ie before Christmas) or late season (after the first week of April) you would improve your chance of decent snow by choosing a high altitude resort (above 1800m).

As David said, snow depths will accumulate as the season goes on, but this is only part of the story. If you have high daytime temperatures (not uncommon in April) the snow will get very slushy in thee afternoons and will usually freeze over night (leading to very icy conditions the following morning). Few skiers enjoy skiing in either heavy slush or on rock hard ice, so although snow depths might look quite appealing in late season there are other factors to consider.

Have a great trip to Saas Fee, and welcome to snowheads!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh the joys of carving on corduroy pistes with patches of boiler plate ice, first thing in the morning so those giant slalom turns are at full pelt. Then when you get to the bottom your feet feel as though they have been trapped in a vice. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi welcome micksup
As a beginner you're probably not going to be too affected by the level of snowfall - assuming that the resort has had at least one or a few decent dumps of snow.
You'll probably be staying on the main runs around a resort, and these runs are groomed every night. The piste bashers will make sure the snow is 'recycled' and moved around so there are slopes with snow to ski on - possibly supplemented by snowmaking if conditions are really bad. It may not be as nice as skiing in fresh snow - but there will be something to ski on!
snow conditions
micksup, this year's a bit of a bad year I think. When are you going? It's looking like there may be a bit more snow next weekend (and early the following week).
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I am less worried now!

FAO skanky - the w/c 17/1, so you think there may be a little more on the way?
latest report
Yeah,...have a look at the BSM web cam thread in "Snow Reports", page four. I'm doing little more than attempting to interprete the NWP model output here (and it's a long way off), but there's some agreement that there may be some more snow from 14th/15th onwards for a few days. Not great dumps, though possibly more the further north and east you go.
snow report
skanky, my daughter in La Ros has just told me the local meteo is now saying more snow unlikely until the 18th Jan.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, interesting. This is where local experts have the edge on people like me (as I say, know just enough to be dangerous). I wonder if it's because the stuff will be coming from the due north?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy