Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First attempt at servicing my skis

Poster: A snowHead
masopa, Clearly, you're not just a snowHead!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen I have my files set to 1 degree on both edge and base, this is the most common setting reccomended by the ski manufacturers, however you can always ask a good ski technician and they'll usually give you the same answer, by the way I'm lucky enough to have a device that lets me do bases and edges at the same time because it has two adjustable files set in it, unfortunately that same tool is apparently no longer available Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, so I take it that makes a 90 degree angle between the base edge and side edge? Only reason I couldn't get a right angle was because the store where I got my edge file only had 88/90 angles left Sad Still, it'll mean I get a sharper edge and can get new skis sooner Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OMG you guys have confused me that much that I am going to have to go to S&R tomorrow night - should we start taking bets on how much more I can spend ?

I want the Pink wax this time !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't worry Helen - it sounds like you've got the majority of the equipment, but you might find watching someone else doing it gives you the confidence you need.

It's really not that hard, just like a lot of things - harder to explain textually than it is to actually do! You'll be fine...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masopa now I cant think, it either means I'm getting a 90 degree or an 88 degree setting but seeing as my edge kit is out in the alps I can't check Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1 side and 1 base should give you a 90 degree angle.

I've been told the more common setting was 1 degree base and 2 degrees side bevel nowadays - at least for skiing hardpack and ice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cedric you could well be right, however for me the setting I gave works well on my skis Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cedric, 'tis what I'm on. More through luck than judgement though!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Must admit that after hot waxing and scraping I have never bothered brushing the bases. I've always assumed that whilst this may give a racer an advantage out of the start gate, it will make no difference after the first run and is therefore a bit pointless for recreational skis.

Am I wrong ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It can make a difference under certain conditions, I think it helps with wet spring conditions possibly helping break the suction effect that can sometimes occur but to be honest I don't worry about it either rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok well tonight I went to the how to service your skis lesson at S&R - I was the only female - you'd think that would be a good place to pull but hey !!(apologies if anyone reading this was there!!) Best line of the night some bloke in a suit whingeing about his top sheet being scuffed and how did it happen - someone goes people standing on his skis - some bright spark told him Smile and suggested to prevent it happening he went skiing in USA - anyways I digress I then asked him which type of skis he had so everyone would know that these had a weaker top sheet his answer was "the most expensive ones they sell here " I had to bite my cheeks so as not to laugh Toofy Grin (BTW they are Volkl 6 Stars - used 1 week in Meribel!)

Anyway back to edging and waxing the demo basically went through all the stages - cleaning your bases, edging the sides, edging the bases - to be honest the guy basically said only to get this done professionally and then the detuning and hot waxing and different types of wax !! Oh and then bloke with the most expensive skis S&R sell started asking whether there was anything else he could use on them instead of wax - the ski tech guy who was lovely was looking a bit bewildered so I stole Mr Craggs idea and suggested Mr Sheen - before leaving by that point I had had enough of posh people and left without buying any of that powder stuff to fill in the scratches !!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd forgotten you were going to that! I managed to make it too! I saw one woman there and didn't realise it was you!!! Talk about a small world. My Volkls are brilliant, by the way - before you slag them off.

Seriously - sounds like a larf! That guy sounds a bit like one of those "all the gear, no idea" types. Obviously doesn't realise that the only way of gaining respect in the hardcore skiing world is to have your skis and boots covered in duct tape.

On the DIY option: well, Helen I'd beg to differ. I'm a bit of a muppet when it comes to these things, and I managed to do it myself. Ok, I haven't skied on them yet, but the edges are certainly sharper than I've ever known them (and I have the deep lacerations to prove it). I'll only know whether the waxing turned out well when I get out there, but to be honest, that didn't seem that hard.

It's all really not that difficult. If we have a snowheads meet sometime, I'm sure someone can show you...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
H - I can't believe you didn't pull! Don't men want a woman who can service her own skis? Confused And you know it's not nice to laugh at men, you'll never get a boyfriend acting like that Bridget! Razz
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masopa thought you lived in Scotland ??

And Alex Behave I was too busy taking copious amounts of notes - whilst all the men tryto remember what to do !! I have my sheet !
latest report
so were you guys underwhelmed by the S&R workshop? Had been thinking of going myself and would be interested to hear feedback...
ski holidays
Helen LS, yes - I was just joking with that first paragraph (trying to pretend I was that muppet you spoke of). Clearly didn't work!
ski holidays
No it wouldn't as I have read the majority of your posts I think I can assume that that wasn't you! but what did confuse me was the guy standing next to me said well that hasn't happened to my P50's !! Anyway Mr I bought the most expensive skis in the shop probably only frequents the SCGB and went home to say about how he is going to have to change his skis cos some female has the version thats only 1 star down Toofy Grin

Speaking of volkl supersports have you seen the picture of the female model for next year it is soooo sexy (I know colour is not supposed to be important but hell!)
Anyway its black like the 6 star but with fuschia stars and trim bound to be a winner for any less aggressive females !

David Steven, I thought the workshop was definitely beneficial - although I did feel sorry for the ski tech doing it - It was his first one and people were diverting him off track a bit so it ended up lasting 1.5 hours !! If you know nothing about servicing skis at all its beneficial and I am quite looking forward to this weekend the guy went through

1. repairs using both the powder and ptex candles
2. cleaning bases
3. Sharpening edges - side and base
4. waxing
5. Detuning -

Equipment needed

1.Wax remover if you can be bothered
2. Repair kit (if your like me Little Angel )
3. World cup file - Can buy similar in B&Q
4. Sharp metal scraper
5. Emery paper wraped round a sponge - B&Q again
6. Diamond file (if wanted)
7. Wax -in prettiest colour possible and preferably with aromotherapy)
8. Iron
9.vegetable brush
10. Wahing up sponge with rough bit on top!!

Have people got enough information or do you want me to type out all my notes ?
snow conditions
vegetable brush?

You paint vegetables?
ski holidays
Only after they have been ironed flat !
ski holidays
marc gledhill, don't be daft. You know what she means - a paintbrush made out of an asparagus spear!
snow conditions
thanks Helen...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy