Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Came across this recent comment elsewhere on the Net, and having yet to ski there myself, wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Quote:
We are Americans who have been skiing annually in Zermatt for more than 20 years. We love the Village and the skiing. We have many friends who visit annually as we do, and many friends who live in the Village. The improvements to the lift system are absolutely great. BUT, there is a big problem, and everyone who knows the area is talking about it. Grooming of the pistes has clearly been reduced. Wide trails have become narrower. Pistes that should be open, remained closed after a big snowfall. Moguls were not smoothed over on blue pistes.

All of this is hurting Zermatt. Experts aside, a reputation for poor grooming will keep visitors away. Everyone assumes that the lack of grooming is a money saving measure taken after the merger of three competingtransport systems. Before the merger, grooming was extensive so as to keep skiers from moving to a competing area.

Over this past Christmas, Zermatt had great snow, but the Village was not full of visitors. Unless they improve the grooming, that trend will continue.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't accord with the reports I'd heard from colleagues who'd been over Xmas. It's just punters confused about the snow depths I guess, like elsewhere the base is reduced which has given them some issues with pisting, it's the same most places right now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vic & I are there next week, I'll try to report. However it's 13 years since I was last there so I won't be able to judge personally on changes in pisting policy, but I'll ask around.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My last visit was last April and I don't recall any problems with the state of the runs. The National, which has extensive snowmaking - and in that sense is probably the most 'artificial' run in Zermatt - was actually exceptionally smooth.

It's always possible that grooming is limited when snow depths are low, to avoid damage to the underlying vegetation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG - I thought you were a ski fanatic but you've never been to Zermatt? I've had 3 weeks in the last 8 years plus quite a few days summer skiing, and the grooming has always been OK although certainly not up to the standard of Courchevel or the US, and the dreaded boiler plate has been everywhere - I think the trouble is it's a very dry climate compared to parts of France and Austria so there's never really enough snow. But it's a fabulous place in every other way!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there the week before Christmas, when there wasn't much snow, but more than anywhere else in Western Switzerland, and I thought they'd done a fine job.

One reason for the place being quiet may be the cost. I never thought I'd find somewhere that makes Verbier look cheap!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, is this spoilt Americans not being able to ski anything that isn't perfectly pisted and smooth? Also, they've been going for 20 years, so they are clearly getting on a bit, and should have given up skiing long ago and taken up Cruises like any right minded Yank! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, the British sense of humour certainly didn't go down too well! The original post, particularly the comment
Quote:

Experts aside, a reputation for poor grooming will keep visitors away.
... generated responses from contributors such as :

Quote:
Sounds great.
Quote:
That's next year's xmas sorted for me then!
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Been looking for somewhere to escape to this Christmas.
Quote:
We are planning to go to Saas Fee this March, but with improved lifts and reduced crowds Zermatt may deserve another look.

All tongue-in-cheek British-style, but which went completely over the head of our American cousin, who got quite miffed rolling eyes snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although the Americans have a reputation for wanting manicured skiing I have met plenty that rate Chamonix as the Dogs B******!. I don't think Zermatt is too kind to pedestrian skiers but that is down to the natural terrain and the fact that it can be rocky and when snow is sparse you need sharp skis.
At the same time I don't like to see resorts pandering too much for a certain clientele. My take is you go to the mountains for some active sport and you get what nature provides. So learn to deal with it.
PG's thrread on Brenkenridge is on the same lines where the resort is raging about proposed new lfts links and how it will change the resort forever.

Nobody wants dangerous pistes but the resort is what it is, ie a world class ski destination.
But if what this person says about the decline in grooming being noticed and commented by locals then I would think there is a good reason for it. I would put this type of action down to the resort trying to protect and prolong skiing conditions in the event of a barren snow spell.
I would not have thought the Swiss burghers would pee-off their very lucrative American customers without V good reason..!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, we're just back from Zermatt, my first visit there since 1991.

As far as I can ascertain the pistes are just as wide as ever, if not wider. They are being pisted to accommodate the modern carving style where you can chose to do big carving turns down the mountain. The resort hasn't had any snow since December 26th and this shows up on some runs on Sunnegga that haven't got snow making being a bit bare, and whole itinerary/off piste areas being closed (Triftji, Stockhorn, Rote Nase). The Ski Club Reps had Thursday down as a day for hiring an off piste mountain guide but the snow levels were such that the guides said no. (We went blading instead - great fun.)

Pisting quality was very good and conducive to high speed carving runs. The only complaint about the pisting is there is possibly too much so that there are few bump runs. In fact, I think I can say that the only mogul fields were off piste at the side of the runs, and they could be rather narrow, i.e. just a few metres between the piste edge and trees, and not very long. All moguls were bashed flat on all runs, including blacks.

So, summing up, almost the exact opposite of the quote in the opening post! I can't comment on what might happen after a snowfall though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tritji remains a huge bump field, but never opens until Feb. (I think, or it is just the Stockhorn access that doesn't open until then?). The interesting thing is how deserted it tends to be these days. So the bumps are not as big as the old days.

Maybe people (or, at least, Zermatt skiers) just don't like bumps anymore.
What's interesting, in terms of Zermatt's strategy, is the focus put on Hohtali - with its recent jumbo cablecar. In earlier decades this peak wasn't skied from. The pistes at the top are, I think, artificially cut into the mountain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plake,

PG is the father of a ski fanatic (possibly two). He normally holds the camera filming his kids competing regional and national events.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't add much as to Zermatt piste grooming as it's been a couple of years since I've been there. However, it is safe to say that the rising costs of Switzerland for Americans is keeping them away. Zermatt has always had more than its share of American visitors, and as an American who has skied there in 2001 and 2003, the exchange rates and inflation have easily added 40% since then. That's a big percentage to add on to an already expensive resort.

This year we're not skiing, as we've had our first baby. When we can ski, it will be stateside until the exchange rates swing back the other way, which I suspect will happen in 1-2 years. In the meantime, if Zermatt is indeed cutting back on their daily piste preparations, it makes the decision for Americans to ski locally just that much easier.

John Cacavas
Los Angeles, California
http://www.cacavas.com
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy