Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriers......

Poster: A snowHead
Was offered the lend for the drive this year of a roof box but seems won't be long enough to take the skis. Going to buy a pair of ski carriers as the Disco can take the rest of the luggage. Any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thule - Can't go wrong.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, Think thats the plan. Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, Sorry dull question. When putting them on the roof bar do you need to cover them or just put them on. I know its a stupid one rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blimey I had a nasty thought you meant one of these wink

Even better we (the taxpayer) paid for the development of the bloody thing... http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/structure/releases.htm (scroll to the bottom!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, mrsfatcontroller doesn't need one of these, she's got me to pull her bloody skis everywhere Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller wrote:
Spyderman, Sorry dull question. When putting them on the roof bar do you need to cover them or just put them on. I know its a stupid one rolling eyes Laughing

Just stick them in the ski rack, tails forward. A ski bag on the roof adds a lot of noise and isn't brilliant for fuel consumption. If the roads have been salted heavily it can be a good idea to give the skis, especially the bindings, a bit of a rinse to remove the salt.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller,

The bindings should be covered because all sorts of grit and crap will get into them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, welshflyer, Thanks Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
.......tails forward........

Giving my brain a day off. Backwards Confused Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
.......tails forward........

Giving my brain a day off. Backwards Confused Puzzled

I'd recommend driving forwards; it's quite a long way. Wink

Ski tips at the rear of the car, ski tails at the front.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Understood Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller,

On a slight tangent.

I use a sportube to carry my skis. They are a strong plastic tube and is lockable. It has handles and wheels and therefore can be dragged (no not behind the disco). It is much better value than other ski luggage. Although a single tube costs £70 I've had mine over 10 years and done more than 35 airport trips and it's still going strong.

You could buy these and attach them to the roof rack somehow.

S&R and EB sell them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer, Tangents are good. I am off to S&R first this morning to get bindings adjusted. Will have a look there before popping down to Halfords to look at the Ski Carriers.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, surely you will only need to take them one way as will leave all teh skis there now? If that is the case can you just hire some?
ski holidays
Mouth, £50 to buy not worth the hassle of hiring.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, alwasy had great prices and service from [url= http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snowaccess.html]The Roofbox Company[/url]
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Prices maybe but when I rang them yesterday and asked them if they will fit on Land Rover roof bars they hadn't a clue. Going to Halfords today as I can check there that they do fit.
ski holidays
Surely one of your mates on snowHeads could lend you a rack? Or do Tata's need a speccial rack?
snow report
Boredsurfing, I was offered the lend by someone else but for £50 I am happy to buy. A man cannot have enough gadgets or attachments. Laughing
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, they are usually spot on with their advice, unlike Halfords. Very Surprised.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller,

i would be very wary of a cheap, (£50.00 is cheap) rack. 8 hours of high speed driving is not exactly typical use of a rack sold in the UK.
Twice I have seen piles of skis on the hard shoulder in France! Skullie
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, i just bought sierra sx-12, since my car is flat top. look really nice!
ski holidays
We have a set of Thule roofbars, and a separate ski carrier which fits on them when needed - it slides out sideways, and the top part flips up. You stick the skis on, snap the tops down and push the rack back into place. The car is a very high one and it would otherwise be difficult even for fairly tall people to reach up and undo them. And we're not tall.

The system works beautifully, locks easily, hasn't given any trouble. We used to have a long Thule box, which protected the skis a bit better and could be used for other stuff too, but the Multipla with the box on top was too high to go in the garage. We got ours from the Roof Box Co. and like others I found them 100% excellent to work with - on advice and delivery.

We use the rack a lot locally, even though our skis are kept at the apartment. We go to other places, and often transport visiting beginners who can't negotiate the slope down to our local chairlift. My OH also finds it v useful for bringing long bits of wood (sort of thing you make shelves from) back from the DIY shops.

It wouldn't work without the right Thule bars, though.
latest report
thefatcontroller, Having just seen the pics of your chalet will the Tata go in the underground garage with a rack on top AND also I wouldnt be surprised if you end up too high to use the telepeage gates on the way there!
Just buy new skis in Les Arcs, you know it makes sense Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 9-12-08 10:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
thefatcontroller,

On a slight tangent.

I use a sportube to carry my skis. They are a strong plastic tube and is lockable. It has handles and wheels and therefore can be dragged (no not behind the disco). It is much better value than other ski luggage. Although a single tube costs £70 I've had mine over 10 years and done more than 35 airport trips and it's still going strong.

You could buy these and attach them to the roof rack somehow.

S&R and EB sell them.

i remember a story of a guy who took a jumbo wheely bag back to S&R for a refund as the wheels had worn right down..... they sent it to the manufacturer who looked at if for a while , discovered a ridge on the trolley handle which was a bit strange...turned out the guy had landed at heathrow, the car boot was too full so he towed the bag around the M25 to his house rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Having just seen the pics of your chalet will the Tata go in the underground garage with a rack on top AND also I wouldnt be surprised if you end up too high to use the peage gates on the way there!
Just buy new skis in Les Arcs, you know it makes sense Toofy Grin

You're just jealous wink Laughing . One of the photos shows clearly there is room Toofy Grin . mrsfatcontroller is desperate for new skis so please shut the furk up
ski holidays
fess wrote:
thefatcontroller, i just bought sierra sx-12, since my car is flat top. look really nice!

Thanks but they don't make them for the Discovery. Thule ordered.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, Nah! I'm quite happy for you to have the rack, the less cars using the telepeage gates the better Very Happy
mrsfc I suspect it's not to late to cancel the order, you do need new skis Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Nah! I'm quite happy for you to have the rack, the less cars using the telepeage gates the better Very Happy

Telepeage gate to the far right for lorries.................... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin .Always empty on the Severn Bridge as well.
latest report
Only on some of the Tolls, you'll end up queing with the poor people and lorry drivers on most Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I can't get under a 6'6" with my Landy and that's without anything on the roof. A Disco II with a top box won't go under the Peage barrier and needs the over-height compartment on the Chunnel too. Disco III is probably higher still
snow conditions
thought a good idea for skis on roof would be to wrap in cling film or pallet wrap if you can get some. just start at the back(as positioned on roof) and spiral wrap forward and it should be good enough, secure with tape. Have a stanley knife at other end to remove.
snow conditions
Thule set arrvied during the week, fit fine to the Disco roof bars use the T track system adapter. Only bringing 2 pairs of skis but the carrier holds 4. Do you have to put the skis on as a pair or can you put the skis in individually? Suppose greater strenght as a pair but keeps a bit of height down if on individually with the bindings down. Thoughts?
latest report
thefatcontroller, put them on as a pair and, for the long drive, wrap a few turns of cling film around the middle section to "seal" the binding area against spray, salt and other detritus. Otherwise, as rob@rar said above.
snow report
What are the ski racks like on fuel economy????
snow report
RPF wrote:
What are the ski racks like on fuel economy????

on there own they don't need fuel, LOL.
It does effect the aerodynamics of the car though and it will use more fuel, typically 3-5 mpg dependant on the type of bars, box, car, etc.
snow conditions
daehwons, shredded 15 miles down the road, with a friendly police officer nearby to write the ticket.

Nope, just plain nylon ski bag, with bungee cords wrapped around the bare roof bars - 20 years of driving to ski bliss.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Ski tips at the rear of the car, ski tails at the front.

Out of interest, why this way around?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy