Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the skiing difficult in St.Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
I will be doing a ski season next year but am currently a complete beginner.

Many people have mentioned that being a beginner in St Anton is not good as it will be hard to progress from beginner to intermediate. However, people have also mentioned that I wont be a beginner for long and that i will not have any problems. This has left quite confused and would like your opinions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, absolutly not a place for a beginner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't worry.

Anyone can learn to ski anywhere. If you were a cocky first timer on your first ever skiing holiday hoping to fool yourself into thinking you were king of the mountain after 6 days, St Anton wouldn't be the best place. Laughing

You should have no problem though if you're there for a season. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're off there in March of next year so i've been doing quite a bit of research into it.

All the reports/reviews/websites I have read say that it is absolutely not suitable for beginners and possibly not even suitable for early or timid intermediates. We initially discounted it as a resort due to our group having two newish skiers. However, when they dropped out we booked it.

One website said that the only run suitable for new(ish) is the main blue run down to the village and that even this becomes difficult for different reasons (i.e. it gets hammered busy!).

Having said that, my first ever week skiing was in awful, incredibly icy conditions. This was a real "in at the deep end" intro to skiing but it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I progressed quickly, and on my next skiing trip (in perfect conditions) I found that I was a way better skier than people with many weeks more experience.

If you are a quick learner and have a bit of natural ability, you might find you rise to the challenge wink

Besides, you're there for the whole season so you won't be a beginner for long! And other areas close by have stuff for you to improve on if you struggle in St Anton itself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Livethedream24, It will be perfectly fine. St.Anton has a macho image but there are some lovely blue/intermediate runs. The ski school will be first rate and they will have taught beginners before. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went there as an early intermediate and hated it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You have to bear in mind that the skiing area in St Anton is insanely huge, so whilst the percentage of blue runs might be less than in other resorts, there are still plenty to choose from, and they're long and cruisy.
You'll be more than happy in St Anton.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St.Anton is great for lift served off-piste but not really great for piste skiing! Depends on the time of year, but from Feb through to start of April the pistes can get horrendously crowded! And no, it's not ideal for beginners!
But if you're doing a season then I guess it will be OK!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once you've got the basics dialled, go to Lech every day for a couple of weeks...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can, learn a bit on a dryslope here before you go just to get the feel for it. Once you're there it really shouldn't take you long to progress to reasnobly steep mogulled runs but it really depends who you are. Generally the people who progress from beginner the quickest are males, not being sexist but generally girls tend to have less confidence which in turn leads to being less comfortale on the steep stuff (of which has St anton has plenty) than boys, aged 15 - 30, younger than that and you will eventiually become a much better skiier but it takes a little more time, older than that and it will take a little longer as you will be less keen on crashing. I had my first two weeks in Val d'isere which has a similar reputation to St anton but to a lesser extent and I loved every minute of it. Baisically if you are not afraid to crash you'll progress quickly and love St anton but if you are generally not a fan of speed and crashing then a more begginner resort might suit you better. Snow generally doesn't hurt to fall on so long as you have your bindings set up properly, dryslopes do hurt to fall so don't let that put you off. Some dryslopes are covered in snowflex which also doesn't hurt, I have spent many a hour at my local dryslope throwing myself off the snowflex jumps and into a heap on the ground without as much as a bruise the next day. A little tip for you if you do go, it is easier to turn when you are moving quicker and it is also easier to learn to turn on slighlty steeper terrain as this forces you to pt your body in the correct position. You could easily get fustrated going to an unchallenging resort by the end of the season but this will not happen in St anton as there will always be a tougher slope to ride. St anton also has an impeccable snow resord which many of the easier lower lying resorts do not have. Go for it and you will love it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Livethedream24, Cracking resort to do a season in... The learning curve will be steep but the rewards rich.

Pretty quiet in the evenings over there so, so take a few knitting patterns and a bumber book of soduko wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just got back from St antons opening weekend. It's my first european experience. I only skied in Banff 3 times before this.

There are three grades at St Anton, Blue(easy), Red and black.

I found the blues were either flat so you had to walk or very steep (for blues) I wouldn't like to have been a first timer there. Sunshine and Lousie had much easier beginners slopes.

I also found not much difference between Blue and Red. I also did a couple of Blacks and they were steeper and more sustained but nothing like the blacks I did in Banff.

The one thing that was a welcome suprise was, perfect snow, no ice, no lift queues. Perfect weekends skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi
I would definitely recommend St Anton. As far as progressing from early intermediate (2 weeks skiing) to intermediate/advanced its probably one of the best resorts for this because alll the runs are blue grading or above (no greens).

Agreed its not an ideal week-long holiday destination for a complete beginner, but you are doing a season and by the end of it will have improved considerably. So it will be a steepish learing curve for the first few weeks but well worth it. Although most of the pisted slopes are a bit more tricky than some of the larger french resorts (e.g espace killy, 3V etc) within 2-3 weeks I'm sure you will be able to ski most (say 70%) of the runs in st anton. It does have a reputation as an "advanced" resort but this is mainly because of the massive amount of off piste available there...and towards the end of your season you may be glad of this.

Also with other "easier" resorts just a short bus journey away (lech, zurs etc) there is lots of opportunity for an "easier" day's skiing should you wish for it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..also as for the negative posts by i and nonny...bear in mind that you are doing a season and not going for a week's holiday as a beginner. May be wrong but I bet neither of them were doing a season there...just a week's ski. If one of your goals is to progress at a fastish pace then St anton is the perfect place for this.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
has Lech got more variety or is it smilar to St Anton. I am thinking of going there next weekend
ski holidays
I went to St Anton with only 2 days skiing experience,
I had a very steep learning curve! but after 4 days my skiing (and confidence) improved 100%

So, sure I'd say you'd be fine, but get some lessons before going there.
ski holidays
stevev, lech has lots more intermediate pistes... go - it's another great resort snowHead
latest report
red 27 wrote:
stevev, lech has lots more intermediate pistes... go - it's another great resort snowHead

Thanks, intermediate is about my standard. Living near the alps is great for getting some early season skiing in. Lech and St Anton are both around 1h45m form Friedrichshafen where I am working
ski holidays
alex99, Boll*cks. St.Anton isn't any tougher than Lech or Zurs. In fact the only thing that seems to make St.Anton tougher is the plonkers who (can't) ski there. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
erica2004,
Quote:

Boll*cks. St.Anton isn't any tougher than Lech or Zurs

I guess it depends a lot on which runs you take in either resort. Lech/Zurs usually have better snow in my experience which makes the skiing a little easier though.
ski holidays
erica2004, Shocked you're in a good mood tonight! wink
latest report
Skiing is difficult in St. Anton, like most places, if you choose to make it so. If you choose to take it easy, then it's not. It's a choice, usually dictated by your boredom threshold for skiing the same runs. If you're happy to ski or board on your own initially you'll be OK.
snow report
The runs on Rendl tend to be quieter than the rest of St Anton - and a little more 'forgiving'.
latest report
Wow...great response.

To conclude, i think St Anton gets a thumbs up! Cheers guys. I have narrowed my ski season down to Kitzbuhel or St.Anton. Whichever one I can secure accomodation in first will decide where i go. I have been trying for the last week but have not gotton very far. In fact the feedback I am getting is that by the time i get to to the resort (Jan 7th ish) it will be too late. I have sent an email to the tourist boards and called several people.

Do you guys think its worth taking the risk and just flying out there and seeing what happens???

If you know of any contacts or websites tthat could then that would be great?????
snow report
Livethedream24 wrote:
Do you guys think its worth taking the risk and just flying out there and seeing what happens???

Not if you're looking for seasonal accommodation in the resort itself.
snow conditions
My view - StA is no place for a beginner, especially in peak season. The easier blues, like Osthang and Fasch, get horribly crowded by mid-morning. Not long after, big bumps form and the snow between those bumps gets scraped to ice.

If you decide to go StA, then be prepared to get your basic skills on the baby runs at the bottom of the mountain - there are a few there, and then head to Lech. Lech has far more foregiving blues, most of which are not that crowded outside of the 10:00 to 12:30pm peak hour.
snow report
red 27, It's because we always holiday in Lech and I was always afraid to go and ski in St.Anton because of it's reputation for being a difficult place to ski. When I eventually went, I couldn't believe what all the fuss had been about. I would say that the snow is better in Lech, so easier in that respect. However, after snowfall, Lech can be pretty tricky as the moguls soon build up particularly on the runs to Oberlech which tend to be the 'beginner' runs. The home runs anywhere are never very nice at 4.00pm. I did find that the St.Anton pistes had their fair complement of 'nutters' - i.e. can't ski and look out for other people at the same time.
latest report
Livethedream24 wrote:
I have narrowed my ski season down to Kitzbuhel or St.Anton.

What a strange choice to come down to!! So different. Kitzbuhel is very beautiful but it has no tough skiing. I would never go there now.
St Anton has fantastic off piste - much of it among the toughest there is. It also used to have lots of tough black runs but the harder ones have all been re-graded as itineraries so that they can be kept open at times when they would otherwise have to be closed for fear of legal action if people hurt themselves.
However, now I come to think about it I suppose the Challenges of Kitzbuhel will be adequate for a first season - and it will be more suitable for the first few weeks. St Anton is not the best place for a beginner to progress from nursery slopes to proper runs. The few really easy slopes tend to get very busy at times. You could certainly manage but Kitzbuhel would give you lots more choice - you would be able to cover lots of ground. As has been said - the Zurs and Lech slopes - a bus ride away from St Anton (you can ski to them off piste) will suit you better for the skiing - but they are very posh and expensive (lots of fur coats in the town) and you would probably prefer the night life at St Anton.
St Anton has much more spectacular (higher) mountains and I would imagine would have skiable conditions for longer - particularly as Kitzbuhel is quite a bit lower.
St Anton has better night life but Kitzbuhel's is OK - as far as I can remember, and is a bit prettier with a mediaeval centre and more trees on lower slopes.
In any case - before you go, go and have some lessons at a dry ski slope or (much better, if you can) an indoor real-snow slope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Livethedream24, have not been to Kitz in winter, only in summer and have been to St Anton/Oberlech about 6 times now in last 5 years. If you are a beginner, yes there will be more suitable resorts to go to, but if you're doing a season, I would imagine that your skiing will come along fast. If you stay at the Nasserein end of town, the slopes are easier. Also the Rendl area is easy too with some lovely gradients of slopes, and more challenging stuff too as you improve. The bottom half of Rendl does have a couple of steep pitches, but this can be avoided by taking the gondola (of shame) back down. From me experience of the area the main reason that St Anton is difficult is that there are a couple of blue runs that a) are steep in places but more importantly b) get very crowded in the afternoon when everyone starts heading towrds 'happy valley', ie apres heaven. This guy is English and stays in St Anton http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/ so may be helpful in pointing you in the right direction for longer term lets. St Anton is in quite a narrow valley, and Kitz in a wide valley, so from what I have seen of Kitz, there will be more walking to lifts. In addition the snow record in St Anton and especially Lech/Zurs is fantastic - the Arlberg region seems to have its own microclimate and gets bug dumps of snow.
As posters have stated above Lech and Zurs has some fantastic cruisy skiing ideal for beginners and the slopes are much quieter. Only a short bus/taxi away. Good luck with your choice as it seems around 50/50 from the others views.
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
Only a short bus/taxi away.

Free ski bus from St Anton, it's on the same lift ticket
snow conditions
I was confident but from further posts it I am confused again. I think i will stick to my guns and say that as i am doing a season so i should progress well especially if i have extensive lessons...it maybe a steep learning curve but maybe that will be a blessing in disguise.

I am still struggling to find accomodation. (Thanks boabski for your link). This seems to be my major problem. The tourist boards dont get back to me and landlords i have contacted directly are all booked up or dont offer long lets.

If any of you know any contacts then that would be greatly appreciated.
latest report
I thought there was another forum for people doing the season skiing, http://www.natives.co.uk/

see this link http://www.natives.co.uk/resorts/sta/index.htm
Quote:
Living
Some who are bumming and don’t have the advantages of company provided accomodation find that Pettneu, a short bus hop away is the best solution.

Otherwise, most chalets are located in the Nasserein area, which has it’s own lift to the ski area, although is a 10 minute trek into town. Certainly nowhere is far away in St. Anton and skibuses connect the burbs in well.

latest report
The hardest bit in StA is the bit from the Moose/ KK back to town in the dark.... rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Some who are bumming and don’t have the advantages of company provided accomodation find that Pettneu, a short bus hop away is the best solution.

If you stay in Pettneu you could use the beginner slopes at Pettneu for learning getting over St Antons reputation for difficult beginner slopes. Bit further to get to Lech/ Zurs though.
latest report
stevev wrote:
boabski wrote:
Only a short bus/taxi away.

Free ski bus from St Anton, it's on the same lift ticket

Not strictly true, or rather an incomplete answer. The free bus, aka the "Blue Bus" to Lech/Zurs only runs as far as Alpe Rauz, so you need to ski down Valfagehr to connect with it. See: http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585621/index.html - look at Ski Schedule on the left nav bar. The winter timetable has not been posted yet.

If you want to go from St Anton itself, then you need to take the Postbus from Terminal West. That costs a little over EUR5 return.
ski holidays
At least you will know what you need to aim for. St Anton naturally sorts out the wheat from the chaff on the pistes, but when you get it you can sit amongst legends - they are there.
ski holidays
Ski Tyke wrote:
The hardest bit in StA is the bit from the Moose/ KK back to town in the dark.... rolling eyes Laughing
Wrong! That's the bit that seems easiest, but in truth is one of the most dangerous 500m in the world Shocked
snow report
T Bar, Pettnau could be a good shout as could St Jakob or potentially Klosterle (beside Sonnenkpf)
snow report
Dude, get your act together, get some accommodation somewhere....anywhere, and get out there and get in the snow! You'll love it.

Otherwise, who am I going to visit when I get back from Whistler and I'm desperate for one last snow fix before it all melts again?

DO IT! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
snowball wrote:
Livethedream24 wrote:
I have narrowed my ski season down to Kitzbuhel or St.Anton.

What a strange choice to come down to!! So different. Kitzbuhel is very beautiful but it has no tough skiing. I would never go there now.
St Anton has fantastic off piste - much of it among the toughest there is. It also used to have lots of tough black runs but the harder ones have all been re-graded as itineraries so that they can be kept open at times when they would otherwise have to be closed for fear of legal action if people hurt themselves.
However, now I come to think about it I suppose the Challenges of Kitzbuhel will be adequate for a first season - and it will be more suitable for the first few weeks. St Anton is not the best place for a beginner to progress from nursery slopes to proper runs. The few really easy slopes tend to get very busy at times. You could certainly manage but Kitzbuhel would give you lots more choice - you would be able to cover lots of ground. As has been said - the Zurs and Lech slopes - a bus ride away from St Anton (you can ski to them off piste) will suit you better for the skiing - but they are very posh and expensive (lots of fur coats in the town) and you would probably prefer the night life at St Anton.
St Anton has much more spectacular (higher) mountains and I would imagine would have skiable conditions for longer - particularly as Kitzbuhel is quite a bit lower.
St Anton has better night life but Kitzbuhel's is OK - as far as I can remember, and is a bit prettier with a mediaeval centre and more trees on lower slopes.
In any case - before you go, go and have some lessons at a dry ski slope or (much better, if you can) an indoor real-snow slope.

Not been to Kitz - but I agree with everything else; I reckon the Kitz advice is good, too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy