Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holdalls vs Suitcases

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Previous seasons I have always taken suitcases on my ski trips, the capacity is fine for everything I need, however many suitcases can weigh 5kg and when you've got a 15kg limit when flying to Chambery etc it doesnt leave you with much room for kit. So this year I'm considering getting a holdall, perhaps the deluxe weekender by S+R. this is 140 litres, but I can't really picture this volume in relation to my current case. Is there anyone who uses a holdall, is there enough room for kit for a 1 week ski holiday? Thanks guys. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More than enough but you'll be pushed to meet a 15kgs limit if you've got ski boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mmm. - having just had a very nice Atomic holdall trashed at the airport, I've been out and bought a lightweight solid type suitcase. Weighs 1.7kg.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonathanbone17, I ve got a 140 litre holdall with wheels on one end. I have never actually filled it always plenty of room to spare. Never had a problem with a 20kg weight including boots before 15 kg may be a bit tight though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've always had a big board bag and most of my kit goes in that and there's rarely a charge for it and if there is it's a dam sight less than excess baggage costs. Just got a 200cm wheeled bag from E'Brigham that'll hold boards and skis and both pairs of boots which means that my normal bag is fairly small and easily carried. Best bag I've seen for general use is the DaKine high roller double decker.
Though I'm looking for a good rucksack/backpack split combo. Seen a good one but it's military issue only, but I'm working on that . . . time to call in some old favours.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jonathanbone17,

I have an 180 ltr Expedition bag and that is way too much. I would get a North face one at around 90 ltrs or 120 tops.

The best things about this bag are that it is bomb-proof and you can drag it around, plus it has got pack straps so you can wear it like a back pack for a couple of hundred yards easily.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to do away with lugging that annoying carry-on around the airport invest in one of these beauties from Ogio, http://www.ogio.com/products/display.cfm?catid=4&UID=413103&color=1 gotta love the Red Bull cooler & beef jerky pockets!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David@traxvax, from what I remember , if you had paid for ski carriage, your boots weren't weighed as part of your luggage allowance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen, you have the advantage on me, I've never paid for ski carriage.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick, Love the vest! Reckon the "one size fits most" points towards one hell of a large vest.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah Helen, my 15kg limit excludes skis and boots. Cheers for the advice guys.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, which EB bag did you get? I'm looking for something that will hold a board and a pair of 170cm skis. So far, no luck Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use those holdalls that fit boots at the side with your other gear in the middle so I'm not sure how they'd deduct the weight of my boots. There again, I've never paid to have my skiis carried either - I just turn up with them and they stick them in the hold.

However, when I went on my summer jollies this year the check in staff told me that they'd introduced a maximum weight per case and we were only just under it with one case. If that's right, you'd better watch the weight of those really big cases, or you'll be repacking in the airport. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from Sauze via Ryanair. They have a 15kg weight limit, which is really tricky when you have boots, etc to fit in. However, they have no objection to ski boots being carried in your hand luggage, as long as it still complies with the size and weight restrictions (currently 10kg). Although this can give you a fairly hefty piece of luggage to carry onto the aircraft, it also gives you loads more capacity in your main luggage.

Don't do what I did though - I packed a small hip flask (pewter) in a ski boot and the x-ray could not tell what it was. This resulted in security completely unpacking my hand luggage, which is a real nuisance when you have stuffed all other manner of things in your boots, etc. I didn't even use the damned thing in the end rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Caspar, Didn't you have any problems with the size restrictions on the hand luggage Puzzled How did you make the boots fit the size restriction Puzzled I very much like the idea, since it means the airline can't loose your boots. Lets face it, you can easily replace your clothing at the resort, but who wants to loose their nice comfortable boots!
snow report
marc gledhill, EasyJet have big posters up at the check in now....over 32kg and it doesn't go, no questions, no arguments, repack or it stays behind!! Mind you....with their no weight limit hand luggage policy now there shouldn't be any need to try and stuff it all in one big bag.
snow conditions
Mark v1.0,
Quote:

Caspar, Didn't you have any problems with the size restrictions on the hand luggage

Not at all - the limits are something along the lines of 50cm/35cm/23cm (more or less). I just topped and tailed the boots and stuffed a load of other stuff in and it fitted in the basket they have at the check-in desk beautifully. My shoulder feels a bit stretched now though!
latest report
The 32kg top limit for any one piece of checked baggage applies to all airlines. Even if you are prepared to pay excess baggage charges. It's a baggage handler thing - they might do their backs in with anything bigger.
snow report
kuwait_ian, I don't think that that is quite true. I've checked in a snowboard wheelie bag weighing over 50kg before. You have to go to a special check in, and put up with warning tape all over it, and if the plane is very full they may leave it behind, but if you smile and ask nicely, then generally they will take it.
ski holidays
Kramer, yeah, but how long ago is "before"?
ski holidays
I was on a BA flight from Tampa a couple of years ago and the people in front of me had a bag weighing over 32kg. The officials made them buy a holdall from BA and split the heavy load. But, you can bring back sports equipment such as golf clubs and these are checked as such.
snow conditions
Holdalls vs hard cases

Pros (of holdalls):

form-fitting - fits around your luggage (especially with compression straps) so stuff doesn't bounce around inside
easier to carry, esp. up stairs - can lug it, or with many wear as a backpack
cheaper - well, cheaper than a decent hard case
lighter
easier to fit into boot of car
less easy to damage - hard cases last longer than soft cases, but they get horribly scratched
quick to pack - chuck it all in if in a hurry, but see the point below!

Cons:

less protection for contents - put your boots in the middle of the holdall if you're not taking as hand luggage
pointy bits can dig in your back - take your time packing!

Compared with soft cases, the holdalls still have all the advantages (except they're probably about the same weight) and offer about the same protection.

I've recently changed from my lovely hard case (lovely metallic silver number) to a much lighter, more useful and easier-to-use North Face waterproof jumbo holdall/backpacky combo thing. Would never go back...
latest report
An article on baggage limits from Times Online which includes a useful chart giving the limits and costs for a whole bunch of scheduled and chartered airlines. Flybe have a low hand baggage allowance of only 5kgs which is going to be tight for my boots. Anyone know how strictly they enforce it at Southampton ? My experience with hand baggage so far is if the bag doesn't look overstuffed and you are not standing lop-sided at checkin, hand baggage is very rarely weighed or checked dimensionally. But the low cost boys do seem to tightening up on things.
snow report
Or take less. wink
It's perfectly possible to take 15kg including boots + small daypack for handluggage.
snow report
One boot in hand luggage and one in checked? (OK, I know, that means double the chance of losing them rolling eyes )
latest report
I thought airlines stopped allowing ski boots as hand luggage, they said that they kept falling out of the overheads onto the heads of passengers. I always liked to carry boots with me including all the other essentials for the first day of skiing except,of course, the skis. this way I was never too bothered about checked luggage not making the same flight.
snow report
You could always wear the ski boots wink
ski holidays
Or post/courier them to your hotel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowman,
I was careful to check with Ryanair before the day. They have no problem with it.
Mind you, what difference from a couple of large bottles of vodka falling out of an overhead locker (of course, the pain involved would depend on whether or not just the contents fell out Toofy Grin )
snow report
Elizabeth B, http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/705142||@cSki%20Bags%20&%20Luggage@bEllis%20Brigham%20Ltd|0|user||4|
Quite impressed with the quality and size. recon I can get 2pr ski, 2 brds (sans bindings) and 2pr boots +a bunch if tremals in with no prob.

There's a big solomon wheeled bag currently on eBay that'll do the same.
snow report
Masque,
Quote:

Elizabeth B, http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/705142||@cSki%20Bags%20&%20Luggage@bEllis%20Brigham%20Ltd|0|user||4|
Quite impressed with the quality and size. recon I can get 2pr ski, 2 brds (sans bindings) and 2pr boots +a bunch if tremals in with no prob.

I've been looking for something like this for my 105 cm blades, but to date no joy Crying or Very sad

I currently use a soft golf club bag flight case with wheels and it's first class even though it's about a foot too long. Best bit was that it only cost £30 rather than the £100 Slush and rubble wanted for a comparable bag.

I get boots, blades and all my gear in it and it usually tops the scales at dead on 32 kilo's. Little Angel
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21229&item=7125748063&rd=1 could be worth a punt.
snow report
maggi wrote:
One boot in hand luggage and one in checked? (OK, I know, that means double the chance of losing them rolling eyes )

Well, half the chance of not losing at least one of them Razz

(sorry - it's pedant time!!)
snow report
Masque, thanks for info.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy