Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head XRC i800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from La Ros where I tried these out for the first time. Provided upon request and brand new (nice benefit of early skiing I guess!).

Verdict: First time on Skiercross planks and, in my view, a good (lucky) choice. These were great in the just off-piste edge of the piste, magnificent through the slush and carved up steeper slopes where the sun had done it's worst, fun in the bumpy areas that asked for some jumps to be put in.

Where I was surprised, though, was on the hard packed, fast reds where there was perhaps only an inch of softer snow. The skis have amazing grip at higher speeds, giving masses of confidence in aggressive turns, whether big and wide, or short. On a particularly steep and very hard packed black, they gave loads of confidence in the turn. The only thing I didn't have a go at was in the true off-piste, but only due to a lack of skiing experience in this area.

I was on 170's which suited me fine, and if I was at the stage of buying a pair of skis, the XRC's would be my choice so far. They were that good, that even my instructor expressed surprise that I'd only seen 8 weeks of skiing experience Cool

Whilst out there, I also asked for some Volkl 5*, but the hire shop could only offer the 4* which is marketed by S & R as a piste prestige ski. Have to agree with that. They were excellent on the groomed slopes - fast, sure and with loads of grip. Really good fun and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants fairly high performance piste ski when the conditions are good.

On the bumpier slopes where things can get tricky, or chopped up, I didn't feel quite so confident - certainly not in the way that the XRC's did. Not a bad ski for all that.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WTFH skis Head on-piste, albeit the 1100 so maybe he can confirm that Head are making very good piste bashers. This is a advanced intermediate ski with good turn and edge grip. Wouldn't expect it to compete in deep snow with a 66m waist. There are others that would be better. Depends where you find yourself skiing.

The 1100 is supposed to be as easy to ski and a step up as a speed machine..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, you're jumping the gun there a bit, I'll be skiing on them in 2 weeks. (just been reading about next year's version, the 1200, which is even better!)
Yes, the Head i XRC range are good skis. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat,

You've been a bit quiet..
What is the snow like....?
.....Getting a bit fretful re my trip to La Plagne next week
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy