Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Click and go"

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'm puzzled by the ads on Eurosport. Leki, click and go! What do you click and where to you go? And why? What is this? Is it to do with skiing? I really would like to know!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Bish, I do not have access at home to Murdoch's channels from Hell, but I seem to recall seeing this whilst watching the Beaver Creek downhill when in Italy a few weeks ago.

I believe it is another version of a glove/ski pole system which I tried many years ago (made by Goode then as I recall). The idea was to do away with straps and attach the glove directly to the pole handle. Never caught on for some reason yet to be ascertained, as they say in Edinburgh Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish, I use Leki poles some of the time. This system, called the "Leki Trigger System" (see the Leki alpine web page), it allows you to keep the strap on your gloves, and just "click" the strap into the pole when you're ready to go. I take them out at the bottom, load the lift, and "click in" at the top. No more fooling with taking straps on and off. Quite nice, actually.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep,thats the one(Leki Trigger that is)My son has them on his adjustable Leki poles.Not only do they 'click' out when you want,but they also detach under pressure(if you wipe out)Seems to work well.Son even managed to impress a couple of ESF guys with these;thats got to be a first wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow,

I am not so sure I would want to lose my poles so it is a no for me.
My pal uses Goode and they don't have a strap. It means he has to use the same
gloves and poles. And the baskets aren't easy to find in resorts for Goode poles.

So on balance a gimmick I can't go for....!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, thanks. Seems to be a solution to a non-existent problem to me!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish, it is. However, I have found it quite convenient; I'm ready to go more quickly at the top than before. Of course, that usually means that I'm waiting for my friends to get their poles on! Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also have a pair of these. ssh is right, they are very conventient. After seeing how much easier a time I had, some friends invested in some of their own on the last trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a pair last season. They're a great idea.

JT, losing your poles is a far better option than breaking your arm because they attached themselves to you as you fell, and dragged your arm into an unnatural position....or falling onto a pole (I've done this...ouch!!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, that's why I don't use pole straps. No click, just go. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is the definitive method for finding your correct pole length?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick, the method I use is to turn the pole upside down, so handle to floor and grip the pole just above the basket, if a right angle is formed at the elbow and forearm parallel to the floor then the pole is correctly sized. Don't know of any other way, but nobody told Bode Miller because he skis with poles about 3 sizes too big, so who knows?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick Dawes, On a hard surface (i.e not snow) stand in your ski boots. Hold stick upside down with you hand just below the basket. Your forearm should be parrallel with the ground.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always confused if the hand should be above or below the basket too - don't suppose it actually makes more than a few mill difference. Thought I might give some of the Leki Click & Go poles a (click &) go - nearly ripped my hand off in Courchevel a couple of years back - felt like the wrist was going to snap!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick Dawes wrote:
What is the definitive method for finding your correct pole length?

Stand upright, in your skiis with you're elbows at about 90* and poles placed gently on the snow.

Chat to person to your sides whilst standing behind and in front of others.

Spot cheeky native sneaking past the well formed queue and try to belt him with your pole.

If you can't reach him - your poles are too short! NehNeh
snow report
Nick Dawes wrote:
Always confused if the hand should be above or below the basket too - don't suppose it actually makes more than a few mill difference. Thought I might give some of the Leki Click & Go poles a (click &) go - nearly ripped my hand off in Courchevel a couple of years back - felt like the wrist was going to snap!

I think that the hand should be immediately below the basket (below with the pole upside down, that is, between the basket and the floor - it would be above the basket if the pole was the right way up, but you'd be standing on your head, which probably wouldn't help). Your hand and arm are then in the position they will be in with the pole stuck in snow up to the basket. It makes a lot of diference; a hand's width, in fact.

I find the loops on conventional poles quite handy, for example when I wish to hang them on something.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, Nice one! although at first glance read your post as spot cheeky native streaking past!
ski holidays
And a small tip for those of you venturing into the soft stuff - those dinky little round discs that they stick on the end of most poles you purchase (cue Scottish dog food/floor cleaner accent) are absolutely useless. Get some man-sized baskets on your poles if you want to look the part Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Elizabeth B,

If you drop a pole off a chair then that is a minor inconvenience but if you drop one down a crevasse that is a major issue. You don't want to be losing any kit anywhere that is a few hours away from your destination. Imagine losing a pole on an off-piste route, try skiing deep stuff without a basket let alone a pole. God forbid you lose a ski. Even on the vallee-blanche that would probably take you 4 hours to walk it and this is a path, let alone a variant. And in failing weather, doesn't bare thinking about.

So, for me they are ok if you stick to the piste, but I wouldn't use them. I prefer gauntlets anyway.

As for falling on the pole, that's why you use graphic, isn't it?
ski holidays
Sorry, Graphite....!!
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
Nick, the method I use is to turn the pole upside down, so handle to floor and grip the pole just above the basket, if a right angle is formed at the elbow and forearm parallel to the floor then the pole is correctly sized. Don't know of any other way, but nobody told Bode Miller because he skis with poles about 3 sizes too big, so who knows?
Just below the basket, not above. That takes care of the part of the pole that would go into the snow.
latest report
ssh,

I agree with this. And IF you are going to use straps hold the poles so the strap comes up through your palm, and not over the thumb unless you wish to wrench it if the pole does gets caught.
ski holidays
[quite]hold the poles so the strap comes up through your palm[/quote]

Christ that'd have to hurt! wink
latest report
skanky, it wouldn't hurt Christ though.
ski holidays
JT, righto. In other words, the strap is held between the palm and the pole handle (skanky! Wink ).

I really like the newer poles like the Goode and the Lekis that are adjustable. That way, if I want them to be a bit taller or shorter, I can just adjust them.
snow conditions
ssh & JT, sorry!

Anyway, as I don't use the straps (keeps me fit, all that walking up hill), so I'll keep quiet.
snow report
skanky, too many years for me. Even with the "click-and-go", I find myself dropping the pole because I expect it to be hanging from the strap! Habits die hard...
snow report
They need to be like walking poles - collapsible. You can put them in your pocket then (well, if you have big pockets). Not when standing on the slope, but on chairlifts and the like.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky, Laughing Laughing snowHead Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

if I want them to be a bit taller or shorter, I can just adjust them.

At what points in the day does your height vary Puzzled
snow report
maggi, Laughing Laughing good on ya!

More like different conditions sometimes lend themselves to different pole lengths (moguls are the obvious example). Or, for some of us (like me!) our preferred height happens to be between the normal 2" deltas for pole sizes (I like 51").
latest report
The thing about collapsable poles it that that is always what they do with me...collapse... at all the wrong times..!!
ski holidays
JT, the Goodes aren't collapsable. They have a "screw" in the handle that allows you to turn the handle to move it up and down on the pole (a total of 4" or so). The handle is secured by a set screw (comes with the L wrench to loosen it). The Lekis are, and I have had some issues with this. So far, I think it's user error. But, we'll see...
snow report
JT, I had a ski pole collapse on me last year. It wasn't supposed to be one though.
snow report
ssh,

Yes, I don't use Goode or Leki but I had took some touring poles out with me one day and no matter how hard I tried to tighten them any weight on them with a steep turn collapsed them... So i quickly went back to my normal poles. An experiment that went wrong that day. And I wouldn't bother with them next time.

But back to this question... Leki/Goode clip and go..??
Fine if you know what you will ski all day. I never do, I and my buddies are always looking around to see what is about, and before you know it we are in it. That's why I like to be prepared. In the alpes we can go whereever we want and any trouble is our fault. I understand that is different with the states as we don't have in/out of bounds..!!

The idea of clip and go has some appeal though.

skanky,
I am looking to take out a few friends on the sunday 16th to Beleplagne - the rest will come out on tues. Do you know of any snowheads out there or a place to meet..? I don't know the area but I can read a map..
ski holidays
JT, never been before so I'm in the same boat.
snow report
skanky,
I'll post a thread then....

I PM'd you on this so please ignore..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy