Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge angles

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to the amazing Richard_Sideways and his friend my daughter now has her first snowboard.

Can anybody help me with what the edge angles will be?

Googling has just confused me.

It is a Rossignol Diva.

The base angle I have seen suggestions this could be several things - my tool is good for 1 degree. So will need to get a new one?

The side edges google suggests 90 degree but then others say it could be up to 87? So anybody know what manufacturer angle would be?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... popcorn question Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rayscoops, really? Certainly not intended as such? I had expected to be able to get them of the manufacturers site but failed so far?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, I will be genuinely interested in the replies
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not just set them to what you want?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1 ish and 1 ish Happy

Shouldn’t really need to do the base unless it’s had a grind.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's actually probably at 90 at the moment, and maybe best leave that until E is more confident on the board. You can take it to 89 (or less) if you want more bite on hard snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richard_Sideways, thanks!

@hang11, they clearly encountered something hard so I had intended to ensure I smoothed over before fill the couple of little holes in the base, then waxed.

Overall it is in amazing condition. Just, I guess, looking at it with the same eye I would put on skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Base angle don't change them.

Side edge I do all mine (me, wife ski's, 2 kids skis and boards) to 87 regardless of manufacturer setting. Basically because I want more bite on hard pistes and then there is no downside on anything else that I know. Why not more... just isn't a need. Also, read up quite a bit and 87 seems to get a good consensus.

Piste Office has a page for factory ski angles: https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/edge-angles-wax-data/15-ski-manufacturers-edge-angle-specifications.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:

Trying desperately not to, hence the question. Ski’s are 1 degree. My google seemed to indicate boards may be different?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and then you de-tune the edges ... just a little bit and just in a small location ... or maybe not for some? Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always set my boards to 1 on the base, and afaik most boards are factory set to that, but somebody may come along with a better answer. I would be careful with base edges if they are just scuffed up. The edge needs to be level to the base, so removing edge on the base isn’t a good idea, angles only really need to be set after a base grind, just clean up the rough bits with a stone. Sharpen edges from the side. I always do mine at 1 or 2 depending on the board, but more is fine if that’s your thing.

I do all my own tuning, but I’m no expert, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hang11 wrote:
I always set my boards to 1 on the base, and afaik most boards are factory set to that, but somebody may come along with a better answer. I would be careful with base edges if they are just scuffed up. The edge needs to be level to the base, so removing edge on the base isn’t a good idea, angles only really need to be set after a base grind, just clean up the rough bits with a stone. Sharpen edges from the side. I always do mine at 1 or 2 depending on the board, but more is fine if that’s your thing.

I do all my own tuning, but I’m no expert, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Thanks! Yes that was all I was going to be doing but as I use the guide to do that, was worried if it was the wrong angle Happy

This is reassuring to read
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had the Rossi Jibsaw which is the men's version, it's very forgiving so you don't need to worry about detuning the contact points. I think you would have a bit of a problem getting a consistent edge angle through the magnetraction, my board had a particularly stiff centre camber and was difficult to engage on ice anyway. Very nimble board and good fun.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:

NickyJ wrote:
Trying desperately not to, hence the question. Ski’s are 1 degree. My google seemed to indicate boards may be different?

Don't see why. The same principle's apply afaik.

With no angle on the base it would engage instantly which by and large (slalom racers excepted) you don't want. A one degree is enough to make the ski/board ride more predictably but still very responsive.
snow report
https://www.snowcampseu.com/2018/12/02/how-to-set-a-base-edge-angle/
snow conditions
Boards have edges? Shocked Shocked
snow report
edge angle theory hasn’t quite caught up with board geometry ... on a bang average camber board it may have been a little bit important (try running a stiff 163 fast & flat on a cat track with 90 deg sharp edges) ... but it’s amazing now what a bit of rocker, asymmetric shape and magnaT gives you Wink
snow report
@rayscoops, Absolutely. We run our Bataleon Triple Base boards at 0, 90. Edge catches - what are they?
snow report
@NickyJ, if you have a 1 degree base edge file holder run some black felt tip pen over the edges then run a stone/file (in the guide) over the edge then if it all comes of nicely then you have 1 degree.

Side edge, with boards these are variable, if its a brand new board, then do the felt tip test with your side edge angel holder, to see if its 1 (89) 2 ( 88 ) 3 ( 87), or just decide what angle you want to have.
snow report
Layne wrote:
... With no angle on the base it would engage instantly which by and large (slalom racers excepted) you don't want. A one degree is enough to make the ski/board ride more predictably but still very responsive.
Yeah but you don't actually need to be in a race in order to want race performance. That explains my car and my Kessler SL and a few other toys.
Whatever, I think you should tune boards the way the designer intended, which for Kessler is 0.5 base and 3 side.
For powder boards I don't care as I don't ride them if there's any danger of needing to use the edge.
snow report
Thanks all. Going with my 1 degree base tool and using 90degree for edge angle, seems to have gone fine.

Done some little p-tex fills where a couple of sinks on the edges. Board is now cooling after applying reconditioning wax.

Thanks for all the help
snow report
Most average recreational riders wouldn't 'feel' the difference between 88 / 89 / 90 ...... apart from when the lesser grabs and slams 'em

One and one usually ends up as the default due to servicing

rayscoops wrote:
and then you de-tune the edges ... just a little bit and just in a small location ... or maybe not for some? Very Happy

Quite, and far more important than a degree or so

I roll them off a lot, and over a longer 'location' ....... I guess it's an old guy thing ......
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
Most average recreational riders wouldn't 'feel' the difference between 88 / 89 / 90 ...... apart from when the lesser grabs and slams 'em

rayscoops wrote:

I roll them off a lot, and over a longer 'location' ....... I guess it's an old guy thing ......

I bought a Jones Hovercraft a couple of years ago. "Nose and tail detuned from the factory" it said in the blurb. It was weirdly 'grabby' even when riding flat base you'd suddenly feel something engage and the board pull and slow. I took it into a shops service centre and they detuned the nose, saying it hadn't been done at all. Totally different board. I didn't realise what it was and how much difference it made.
latest report
rogg wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

rayscoops wrote:

I bought a Jones Hovercraft a couple of years ago. "Nose and tail detuned from the factory" it said in the blurb. It was weirdly 'grabby' even when riding flat base you'd suddenly feel something engage and the board pull and slow. I took it into a shops service centre and they detuned the nose, saying it hadn't been done at all. Totally different board. I didn't realise what it was and how much difference it made.

This sounds like something I may need to research further!
snow report
@BCjohnny, I generally just run my file down the edges to sharpen them so probably have different angles all the way down the board, sometimes though, just take a bit off the sharpness at the top and bottom.

However sometimes when I don’t detune, I really do feel the board catching the the front toe edge when riding on flattish ground (normally tracks) and wanting to turn when I do not want to turn - I would call it ‘twitchy’ and probably an issue for learners or intermediates not being able to react to adjust their center of gravity ... a face plant is the normal outcome Skullie
ski holidays
The 3D base on the newer hovercrafts definitely helps as well. Don’t feel the need to detune mine although only really ride it in new snow.
snow report
Sorry ...... not been on here in a bit ......

By 'roll off' the edges I don't just mean knock the corner of, I mean put a proper rad on there .... basically almost the full quadrant

And pull it back a bit further into main radius than the 'experts' suggest ..... estimate the 'tangential point'* at each end and 'roll off' at least half an inch extra from there towards the waist ...... particularly the tail if the board still feels funky

When you buy a new board, it kinda seems a bit barbaric ...... just gotta be done

[*It's not, it's some kinda ellipsoid ....... french curve or something ..... or neither, who cares .......]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As above, 1 & 1 will suit most people fine. I generally don't touch the base edges unless they're damaged.

I don't do much detuning. If I feel the nose gripping excessively on the first ride out, I might get slightly more aggressive, otherwise just a quick rub with a gummy stone to blunt them slightly.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Boards have edges? Shocked Shocked

one edge haha goes all the way round))

factory default for the edges, 1.

nice to have edges not like a knife edge for the park or if learning.
ski holidays
alan1405 wrote:
.......nice to have edges not like a knife edge for the park or if learning ........

Exactly, always been an advocate of 'soft edges' for beginners

As regards the park, you have to roll them off a bit more ..... to the extent a dedicated park board essentially gets created

If you see someone slam over the back or front in the park, a sharp edge has grabbed a feature, or similar ....... aluminium angle edges are particularly lethal

Don't go much, but at the Dome last month they put out a box, just above the little jump ....... saw, and heard, several beauties, one girl got took off in the sled and off to hospital .....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy