Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Metron:b5, upon further review

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone who has spent any time on the equipment forum here knows my bias in skis this year. While I skied on the Fischer RX8 all last season, I had not been on the Atomic Metron:b5 (just "b5" from here on) for more than a couple of runs at a time during demo days. Today was my first full day on them.

My stats:

Height: 6'
Weight: 185lbs
Other equipment: Tecnica XT17 boots
Skiing skills: 34th season skiing, former high school racer, current PSIA level I certified instructor, passed level II skiing last year, ski most of the mountain, but prefer powder, and smooth steeps. New skis have me loving groomed terrain, again, even the very gentle.

Conditions:

I skied today at Copper Mountain, CO, USA after a reported 7" of new snow (it was still snowing at report time; they likely got a bit more than a foot) on top of pretty hard snow. Conditions ranged from a few powder shots (18" or so in the trees and on trail's edge) to soft bumps, to wind scoured hardpack. I skied about 12,000 vertical feet total today.

Ski: Atomic Metron:b5, 162cm

Review: This ski is amazingly versatile. Specifically because I planned to write this review, I tried it in multiple situations, paid attention to different types of turns, and tried it in many different snow conditions and with different techniques. Although I know that the ski is heavy (all one has to do is lift it!), I didn't feel this while skiing it, even when I looked for it.

Crud over hardpack, blue terrain: In these conditions, the b5s plowed right through. They were not deflected at all by the loose snow, and they carved a line on the hardpack (my challenge was getting enough weight on the outside ski to give it a chance to carve!). I could adjust the turn shape from very tight (seemed to be 2-3m) to quite long (20m+) simply by varying the edge angle. I also let them skid turns a bit to see how they would do, and I was surprised that they cooperated very well.

Bumps: Keeping in mind that the bumps were Rocky Mountain powder bumps (soft, and mostly well-spaced) and not Starr or Goat at Stowe (tight, icy, hard), the b5s were again a bit of a surprise. I found that they carved through the bumps very well (quick edge tipping would cause them to carve around the bumps, and a little alternating tip-tip-tip would snake a set of quick turns through the bumps). I also played with pivot turns in the bumps, and these worked well, too. The only approach I don't think would work (I didn't try it!) is the zipper line feet together rip. I don't know how to ski these skis with my feet together!

Groomed and semi-groomed, soft new snow to icy hardpack: The skis are arcing and carving machines! They approach I enjoyed the most was to tip the new inside ski, apply a little femur rotary force (not enough to break the edges free! Just a little bit!), and let the weight move to the outside ski. In so doing, the skis turned me very smoothly, consistently, and enjoyably.

Powder: I didn't get very many turns in real powder. It was mostly cut-up due to my late start (traffic was horrendous!). It didn't plane up as much as I was expecting, so I'm going to have to test it more in powder. Bummer. Guess I'll have to get out in the freshies more often--and we'd better have lots of fresh snow at the EpicSki Academy!

Overall impression: I think that these skis could be skied and enjoyed by a wide range of skier, starting in the middle of the intermediate range and going up to the highest levels. The biggest challenge is the width (you must use a hip-width stance!), which is really the width of a snowboard when you put the two skis together! The ski definitely performs best when given subtle commands instead of extensive muscular input. Tip the ski, pressure to shape, apply a little (very little!) rotary force to dial in the carve... ZOOM!

Highly recommended snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve, thanks for these extended comments. I didn't get to try out a pair of B5s last week as I hoped, so these are helpful notes. Can you talk a bit more about skidded turns on the B5s? Try as I hard as I can, the majority of my turns have at least some element of a skid in them so the B5s wuld need to be cooperative in this department if I'm going to get a pair.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent, Steve, love to hear about the powder update...could it be too stiff, even though it has a huge shovel...?

Over here, the impression of this ski appears to be that it is a nice idea but just comes up short. I have never heard anyone rave about it so much, even friends who went on a test week last season largely missed the point of the ski.
Maybe we don't embrace the carving ethic quite so much, for me it is just another turn and one that I employ swooping down the piste in big GS turns.

Anyway, thanks to your reviews this is a ski I must try and if it works on the terrain I want to ski then you will have done me a big favour. As I say the press over here have largely missed this ski. The reviews being about 65% in favour. At least the ones I have seen!!

Anyway thanks again, looking forward to the nest update..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, I think they skid just fine. I specifically tried to ski them as a mid-intermediate would, and there was no problem at all.

JT, I don't think it's flex, but I suppose that it could be. Honestly, I think I just didn't have enough slope and snow to really try them in the fluff. Hopefully, I'll address that limitation later this season! Are you sure your friends were on the b5? It was a late addition and didn't make the tests here in the States. Honestly, I haven't spoken with anyone who didn't at least like the ski. Not everyone raves about it, though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a ski that I really want to demo this winter - I liked the sound of it from Ski&Board's write-up but ssh's review just confirmed it.

I've just looked at the dimension again: 129 Shocked : 76 : 116. That is one massive shovel for the waist size.

Interesting that another review reckoned they'd be overly hard physical work for lightweight skiers, particularly in short turns. ssh's experience seems to belie that.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyrotten, well, I'm not light! Wink

Lighter skiers should just drop down to the 152. I skied with a Copper Mountain clinic leader a few weeks ago who skied the 152. She's quite slender, but clearly loved the ski. Obviously, she's quite accomplished, but she could ski any ski she wants to (her husband is the site rep for Atomic), and she clearly enjoys the b5.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh, you've got 40lbs over me and I'm nearly the same height! wink

what I was getting at was your observation was that for a supposedly beefy ski they seem to be easy to tip edge to edge without needing to kick them about too hard.

Would you suggest I get the 152s or the 162cm for preference? I know these are wide, stiff boards and I'm a featherweight bloke, but 152 does seem *really* short Shocked !
I'm 5'11", 145 lbs, I ski the fall-line aggressively pretty much all the time on piste and in the crud, enjoy speed (enjoy it a bit too much at times...), I like my hard-over carved turns too. Zipper-lining through moguls (as you put it) is still a bit beyond me though. I'm on 170cm Head Super Cross Ti on hard-pack days (looking for a replacement maybe these) and 182cm Rossi Scratch BC the rest of the time (not a stiff ski I know, but I love them, they rip)

an early happy new year to you! I'm off to join the NYE party now...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyrotten, if you can demo, try both. I think that the 162s will probably be best, but that will depend on your preferred turn shape/size and your athleticism.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ssh,

Yes the b5 was in a 'Fallline ' test in April 2004. They said it was super-carvey and supposed to do it all but testers found it a little hard to get along with and heavy.
The 'Good ski guide' sas it has flotation in deep snow second to none and cuts a mean turn on hard pack. Would suit strong skiers looking for a ski for all conditions. Fine in powder AND ice albeit heavy.

I love the idea that it turns very quickly and floats in deep snow. My reservations are the weight and the waist. But the later wil probably be off-set by the shovel. In Europe I think that skiers still think in terms of long skis
so when they get a B2 they get a big one, 182, and it doesn't turn. I had a shop say to try a ski in 170 and I though he was mad.... I will be a lot more open this time around.

I'll try the b5 in 162. I'm 6'2, and 190. I don't mind a 172 on the first day because I will not be going mad..!!
Others I will be considering are Dynstar legends, Volkl 724EXP and Head Monster 75's. Maybe a K2. I'll want it for steep stuff off the back...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, the M:b5, at least in the US, is only available in 152, 162, and 172. Interestingly, they are not the same width! They increase in width 1mm per 10cm in length.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh,

I think they are the sizes in the test, don't know if they go any bigger.

Do you get the sense that European skiers don't largely embrace the new school idea so much so don't get the point of skis like the b5?
I say this this because I watch skiers and I've not generally noticed it. None of my ski buddies are too aware
of it although I think they may have worked out somethings themselves. Like they turn very well in what we call rat-traps. They are a twisty turney paths through rocks or trees where you just have to let go and rattle down the track with your skis stuck in the tracks because the gradient will not slow you down, you just have to go with it. Anyway I have noticed them getting on very well in these types on conditions and they don't angulate overly, just let the ski do the work.

I say this because I notice good skiers and I haven't seen anyone standout with that kind of technique. Most ski schools...and I'll get flamed here, I know, look kind of untidy, that I have seen...!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, I have no experience with European skiers. Perhaps WTFH could comment when he gets back from Wengen? I know that this has been a huge change for me after 32 years of skiing the "old style". It's also not "necessary". Here's what I noticed, though: I can ski more longer now than I could with the "old style" of skiing. I conserve energy without having to avoid terrain, speed, or conditions that might have previously wiped me out. Given the mountains in Europe, I think that this might be a worthwhile reason for playing with the newer style of skiing. However, it's certainly not essential.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ssh,

As every year gets harder - I am currently training harder than I used to to prepare for this years excursions - this may be the biggest factor. How to ski the same, or improve, using whilst conserving the most energy. Its not so much the first day, it is the recovery period after that. I need a few days off to recover from the holiday.

Anyway, we digress, let us know about your thoughts on the b5 as regards the flotation.
I know I will be able to ski it, it depends how..!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, my friend RicB, an instructor at Bridger Bowl, Montana, talks about his experience with the b5 in powder on EpicSki. The most pertinent quote may be tihs one:
RicB at EpicSki wrote:
we've been blessed with powder at bridger from 31" of cold smoke to a several days of dense fresh in depths ranging from 8 to say 12 inches. Had first tracks into the wirlpools on a 31" day and they skied it as good as any ski besides a bonafide powder. They floted nicely here. It would have been fun to try the 72 on this day, but I never felt disadvantaged by this ski at all. My compadres were all on longer skis and the B5 held it's own very well. In the more dense but less deep snow they floated very well. exceded all my expectations.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh,

Excellent, I have put my order in to demo these skis.....!
I go in just over two weeks.

Must be off...going for a run to try and get in better shape... This banter is the best motivator...!!!
snow report
I spent the weekend on the M:b5s guiding at Copper (for the Over the Hill Gang). I skied them in everything from old wind-condensed crud to bumps to steep chutes (Patrol Chute in Spaulding Bowl) to just about any conditions possible on a mountain that hasn't seen fresh snow since Wednesday.

I worked on my technique and played with the skis to see how they perform in various situations. The only situation that I found uncomfortable was trying to run them flat. That is pretty scary for me!

However, I did pivot slips with them, slow skidded turns, fast skidded turns, tight carved arcs, longer arcs, carved switch turns, rr track turns, pivots in bumps, trough-line bumps, "ignore" line bumps, and even some really gnarly crud on Buzzard's Alley.

One thing that I will say about these skis is that they like to be loaded. Unlike so many skis, they perform better the harder they are pushed--literally. I found that putting more of my weight on the outside ski, for example, in hard snow dug that edge in and allowed me to carve in just about anything. Also, getting the ski farther out from my body and allowing the forces to build brought out the best in the ski. Because of this, I would encourage you to go down in length when you're between lengths by Metron number.

For similar performance dialed down a bit, you may prefer the M:11. Same sidecut, but a bit less beef.
snow report
ssh,

Another good review, cheers, I am looking forward to trying them as I drive down in about 6 hours...!!
snow conditions
JT, have a really wonderful time!!! Do report back on your trip and any skis you try. I'll be looking forward to seeing your commentary.
ski holidays
ssh, #

Will do, as you know the B5 are my first choice and I hope I can find them. I have talked to some locals
and they say the shops may keep back their new skis until we get better snow which I think is understandable.
Hopefully the alpes will get storms in the next few days so that problem will be solved.
Hope to meet up with other snowheads on the 24th which should be fun.

Skis after the b5 I will be looking at are Dynastar 6200, Monster 75's, Maybe Elan 666, Volkl 724 EXPand poss 1chillies altho' not a Soli fan of late..
Skis with a mid 70 waist for an all-rounder in my book
Of course, this will all go out the window if I get b5's on day one and love them...!!

Thanks for all your advice, I hope to have wonderful stories to tell and maybe new skis...

Cheers
ski holidays
ssh,

Just to say I liked the "putting more of my weight on the outside ski," bit as this is what I tend to do a lot.
anyway get back to you with mucho positive reviews

Countdown to leaving time 4 hrs and 50...!!
latest report
JT, which skis did you try? How did it go?
snow conditions
ssh,

Not as good as planned, but here goes.

Arrived in the alpes with rocks showing, so went to hire shop to see what they would release.
found some Rossi 9's...last years model so don't know how 'new' that is. Went blasting around the resort
and loved these skis. They were always interested in turning s I got some first day practice. Great time on these and not tiring at all.
Day two it had snowed overnight so I went for a powder ski. Could only get B2's and as I didn't like them last year in poor snow conditions I thought I would give them a try in the new snow which was probably 12" overnight. I skied them in 177. Vwery good in new deep snow and if I had to keep them all week I would have been ok wih that. The Atomic shop did not have b5's and I looked everywhere else in two resorts. I must say at this time the new snow had arrived just in time but the shops were still reluctant to release this year's skis.
But it kept snowing and I badgered them and got on a brand new pair of Head Monster 75's in 177. I loved these skis and we skied in new fresh snow all week. They were very easy to turn in deep and floated very well. As the conditions were such I could have gone for an big fat - in my book- like a Dynstar legend 8000 or 8800. I think the 80 and 88 part of the desription related to the waist, but the Monster's were so pleasing I stayed on them.
As the top of the glacier was not open because of the avalanche risk - most of the area was level 4, we had to be careful as to what and where we went. No guides this time but had a great time in the trees etc.

Sorry I could not get the B5's, maybe I will hire in the UK next time I go. I am planning that as we speak.
So Rossi's..... I would call it a classic slalom ski which is usable for all-day piste bashing. Skied it in 164...!!!!
Rossi B2's in 177, does most things well IMO but I wanted a bit more
Head Monster 75's very easy ski to manouvre....Very easy to get up in the air and around on very steep and deep snow drops, maybe thigh high snow. My favourite image of the hol'.
As this was a vinatge week I can't vouch for the B2 and m75 in hard-packed. I think they would struggle on ice. For this reason I will continue to search out the b5... Cheers..!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy