Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help !! My kids passports expire less than 6 months after travel dates

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my 2 kids 8 & 10 years old, to Courchevel on the 15th Jan. Were flying out to Geneva and then transfering by road to the resort.

A friend just told me that passports have to be valid for 6 months after the return dates of the trip!! My kids passports run out on the 23rd of May 2005 which is only 5 months.

Do you think they will let us through customs here in the UK and then in Switzerland and or France ??

thanks

Del.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heyou, I have never heard of this requirement. I would suggest calling your local passport agency to ask.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
UK, US where're you traveling from? My US passport expires in Feb and I've been back and forth from Geneva to the UK several times over the last few months without a prob.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/info/travelinfo/passports.html

Q: What do I need to check about my passport?

A: For travel to most countries, a British passport must remain valid for at least 6 months after your scheduled return to the UK. Some countries apply different rules. Contact the Embassy of your destination country for current information.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.passport.gov.uk/_7_traveladvice/7_europe.asp

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1098377476175

But, according to the French Embassy:
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/asp/service.asp?SERVID=101&LNG=en&PAGID=169

Passports : If you are a British citizen, you only need a valid passport for the whole length of your stay in France. Your passport is valid until the expiry date.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry i forgot to mention that we're UK passport holders and traveling from and back to the UK.

Thanks for the quick responses. We're traveling with First Choice, package deal with transfer from Geneva to Courchevel and I was hoping that we would be landing in the French part of the Geneva airport and wouldn't have to go through Swiss customs? Is that possible?

cheers

Del.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hold on, I'll check with the Swiss embassy, to see what they say...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.eda.admin.ch/london_emb/e/home/trach/visares/tranvis.html

Looks like you're OK

British Passports & UK Travel Documents

The British passport must be valid during the period of stay in Switzerland.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, you don't need to worry about it from the point of view of entering Switzerland or France.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PHEW !!!! thanks that's a great relief, thanks very much for all your excellent and timely responses. What a great bunch of people you are, thanks again.

Del.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any time, Heyou!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heyou, welcome to SnowHeads
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Switzerland os course is not in the EU, but by European law we are only required to have a valid identity card, not necessarily a passport to travel with the community. Britain is the only EU country that seems to expect passports, but my Dutch friend had no probs with his ID card - now where's Mr Blunkett gone??????????? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I understand it, EU law in theory gives a right to all EU citizens to "move and reside freely" within the EU, though in reality residence rights revolve around workers and employment. As such entry to a member state must be permitted “simply on production of a valid identity card or passport”. Those EU members which have signed the Schengen agreement (- not the UK) have waived that requirement.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the problem's solved for Heyou but be careful if you are going anywhere exotic. In general, anywhere that requires an entry visa issued before travelling probably won't issue the visa unless the passport has at least 6 months left to run.
snow report
Heyou, I had exactly the same situation last year with my daughters passport. Eventually phoned the French embassy who confirmed there wouldn't be a problem. We flew into Chambery en-route to La Plagne and had absolutely no problems, in fact I think the only time somebody looked at her passport was at the check in desk.
ski holidays
Heres my 2ps worth

Right i'll tell you why they say that, its purely for the TO to cover their own backs. Theres no legal requirement for it at all. n Its just incase you miss your flight, get stuck over there in hospital for ages etc etc

So chill, and remember 90% of what TO's tell you is to cover thier back bottom should anything happen, usually takes about 5mins to listen to all the disclaimers they read out when ur booking, and its pretty much all just common sense
snow report
One other concern - your E111.

I've just been told today that the one you may have had for the last umpteen years is invalid from 31/12/04 and you must apply for a new one!

See you at the post office...
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks - do you need photographs or anything else to get one ?
ski holidays
Not that I'm aware of.
And the new one is just valid until the end of 2005, by which time we are all supposed to have been sent out European Health Insurance cards.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAdviceForTravellers/LatestHealthUpdates%20/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4086783&chk=RCXH0G

(The pressures of being an Ambassador)
snow report
You can download an E111 from that site. It's dead simple, name , dob and personal identification no. The Post Office does the rest and will stamp it free of charge to validate it. Now what's my National Insurance number ...... ???? wink
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, you can also download the form for the card, which can be handed in to the post office at the same time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy