Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Web Site Usability

Poster: A snowHead
New season, new site. The folks at the tourist offices have been busy over the summer commissioning their cousin's nephew's friend who does computers to build new web sites. Do these folk know anything about making the web usable? I've just spent 15 minutes on the Val Thorens site www.valthorens.com trying to plan a trip. Pass info in strange places. Accomodation arrival date fields that only let you pick a Saturday or Sunday. Val Thorens isn't poor, isn't backward and should produce a better site than this. It looks like a multimedia CD-Rom from the early 90s. Bad enough having geometric prints back on ski wear....

Anyone else found daft sites?

rant over, thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Plagne is pretty dire as well, but Romain Guigons website more than makes up for it.
www.perso-laplagne.fr

A new paradiski website is promised shortly the old one ended up being just a map Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Courchevel's new site last year was a lot prettier and whole heap less useful than the old site. Not overly impressed with the Laax web site either - not intuitive to find info and far far too slow. All the resorts seem to be going for style over substance in their web sites at the mo imo
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am I the only one who finds interactive piste maps totally useless?

Please, just give me a simple pdf that shows where the lifts are and what runs go off them. That's all I need.

And I won't get started on translations. I'm just glad I can speak German.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The SkiBig3 website this year is shite, what happened to last years which was doing a perfectly reasonable job?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SussexSnow, I'm right with you on this - I find most ski resorts sites almost useless.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, nominations for our top five sites of shame.....

And for the good 'uns, too.

I think the Tiscover network has something in that its offering some standard presentation of data.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am quite fond of Serre Chevaliers site, which was new last season www.serre-chevalier.com . Downloadable brochures, links to coach companies to book transfers etc, online passes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ami in berlin, Agreed about the piste maps. Nice clear PDF is far better than some weird flash animation where you can't see half the runs.

I nominate the Val D'Isere site as one of the worst. Try buying a lift pass from them. Try even finding out which pass you need. It's a bit better this year but not much.

On the plus side they do have a choice of interactive or plain piste map.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slightly off thread but can I mention chalet websites that have pointless images in their galleries. I want to see pictures of bedrooms, bathrooms, dining and living areas, ski locker rooms. Is a floor plan and resort location map too much to ask for? Then and only then show me the bottle of wine, a dessert, random people, a chairlift, a log fire, a view of a snowy mountain.

......and all those with sites letting property should know how to spell ACCOMMODATION - 2 Cs, 2 Os and 2 Ms
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eithnem wrote:
Slightly off thread but can I mention chalet websites that have pointless images in their galleries. I want to see pictures of bedrooms, bathrooms, dining and living areas, ski locker rooms. Is a floor plan and resort location map too much to ask for? Then and only then show me the bottle of wine, a dessert, random people, a chairlift, a log fire, a view of a snowy mountain.

......and all those with sites letting property should know how to spell ACCOMMODATION - 2 Cs, 2 Os and 2 Ms

acc o mm o dati o n - how may O's ??? Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not at all off topic. You are spot on, it's those images of rooms, plans etc that help us make our buying decisions. That's why I always order print brochures. The one for www.garwand.com - the highest hotel in the alps, has a great room photos. Big enough to see the space, that the double is really a twin, the radiator (important at 3200m asl) etc etc.

In print brocuhres the maps are a decent size and the accomowhatsits are usualy grid referenced - key to seeing how close to the lift.

We need a standard API encouraged in the industry that allows us to suck the key data from the sites - price, room, dates, lift pass, into out own spreadsheets or mash-up sites.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it depends on how the resort sees their website - is it aimed for tourists to find basic information on the resort to help them decide on where to go? or is it also meant to be for people to access in resort prior to setting off for the day - for me it should be the latter but judging by how few french appartment seem to have wifi as standard then perhaps they think it's more of the former.

can't same I'm overly impressed with tignes - ok so it's preseason but it seems quite hard to find out useful info, like open runs and lift pass prices, weather updates etc.
I quite liked st.anton when I was there in March. One of the things I really like in St. Anton was the local cable tv which seemed to be everywhere. Lots of good info with details of runs open/close or planned to be open closed webcams, weather forecast and 'activities information'. And yes both my french and german should be good enough to find my way around the native language sites, rather than needing the poor english translations.

I'm with you on the pdf thing too - what's the point of interactive if you need to be online to use it. With a pdf you can print it for studying in the smallest room and leave it your laptop desktop for when (if) you're not connected.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The worst resort website

http://www.snozonemiltonkeynes.com/ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh we love those Austrian and German cable channels of the mountain cams. What a brilliant idea. And it's been around for a decade or so. When I use to do a bit of business in Germany I found it severly distracting. I'd be late for breakfast waiting for resort X or Y to come on.

Oh, and forgot http://www.cairngormmountain.org.uk/ It got a lot of stick last season but I think the site is evolving. However, they got a kicking on Winterhighland.com for describing the weekend's snow as 'comestic' http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,93996
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
La Plagne is pretty dire as well

Very unlike you not to have a dig @ Les Arcs Confused Confused Laughing . So based upon your failure to do so, I will point out that the Les Arcs website is shoite, apart from the web cam links (turned of most fo the year Mad Mad ), its shoite.
snow report
Sussexsnow, until they sort out some way of getting a webcam, this website is the only choice for worst in Scotland:

http://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/index.html

I remember some chat about it being too remote, but I can't really believe this (the other centres have all found a way). Currently the only way of seeing snow at 'the UK's most extensive skiing and snowboarding facilities' (C&P from their website) is to drive up yourself, or hope someone else does & posts them on the internet. Pah! Evil or Very Mad

The official visitscotland website: http://ski.visitscotland.com/ is usually miles behind winterhighland, in fact I seem to have even deleted it from my favourites which says it all. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy