Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plastic skis for little kids

Poster: A snowHead
Am taking 2 year old skiing this season. Have heard about plastic skiis for kids that are meant to be light weight and give a taster for sliding on the snow without the weight of boots and bindings etc.. Anyone used them or used them on their kids?? where can you get them??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't used them, but I heard they were a good idea since boots are hard to fit on children around that age. Plus, where they are growing so much, it's also a waste.

You can find them anywhere on the internet. Just search plastic kid skis. Most of the prices I've been seeing is around $50 US.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We bought a pair in one of the shops in La Tania when our boys were 4. Most shops seem to sell them pretty cheaply. The boys had fun shuffling back and forth on a flat bit of ground - didn't risk a slope!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone posted a thread about ski wear sale and saw these on there http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Gaspo_Kids_Funny_Feet_Skis.html
is this what you mean.

Jason
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are just what i had heard about. Plan was to take boy on flat / gentle downhill to get him hooked on skiing early, doubt that he'll want too long before gets too cold but important to sow the seed of the skiing.

any tips on little gloves whilst i'm here / and boots?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Those plastic skis strap onto ordinary snowboots (ie not ski boots). You need warm ones with good thick soles - insulation. For gloves, you need mitts. 2 or 3 pairs of cheapish ones you can dry easily (and afford to lose) rather than top-of-the-range. Have spares in your pocket. Even the ostensibly good quality ones seem to get sopping fairly quickly when hands are used as spades.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for advice.... i remember the days of soaking wet hands as a kid so think of the spare pairs ++++ being great idea. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
empinky, If you want the kids to slide don't get the plastic ones. They don't! If the 2 year old is big-ish you should be able to get little boots and use proper little skis (ebay might get some 60cms which are hard to find). Kids don't have nearly as much problems with ski boots as adults, so long as the parents don't put it in the kids heads that there is a problem! Badge of honour and all that. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shame he is a little one rather than a big lad. have seen pair of rossi bandits for about £25 60cm think that next year these will be good. maybe a shed load of wax on plastic will slide? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have seen them used and skid a pleasent red with my 2 year old nephew on a pair, gives them an idea of what it is all about and you will find them in resort no need to be paying ski carrige for them Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
empinky, Bought them for my two year old on our first family ski holiday. Bit of a waste on money though. Better getting yourself a decent sledge for the same money - they will have much more fun and ability to use it
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our son (used them aged 18mnths) and now our daughter tries to wear them around the house (aged 16mnths). She has had a little slide on a dry slope with them on and loved it. (well about 5 mins walking about while her brother was in lessons- but loved it!)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The plastic skis are easy to find on ebay ( do a search for little indian skis)
we bought a set for ours to play on 2 years ago now - he still remembers them every time
we unpack the ski gear ( being a meany I sold them last season as we didnt need them so i expect lots of tears this
year ( he is only 4 )

they worked after a fashion, you can get them to move but they cannot be skiied on - you can pull them around though

what they did do was get him interested.

I agree though that you should look out for a bumboard ( easy to pack and cheap too) - just remember to let your little one have a go
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for tips, kinda getting excited about seeing the little fella sliding ahaed of me!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had the little plastic skis (the ones in wozzie's link) for junior #2 - but he only got to use them once before progressing on to very short (70cm) real skis. Assuming I can locate them in the garage, they're for sale if anyone wants them and PM's me.
ski holidays
why ski? Smile
http://www.twinzgear.com/p-250-snow-kids-snowboard.aspx

I've seen these things being used, yes the plastic skis are useless but then so is this board. They will slide if someone is pushing them but then I suppose that's half the idea so they dont go out of control.
My 3 yr old nephew loved those little indian skis, couldnt get them off him.
ski holidays
Our children quite enjoyed the little plastic skis, but I think it was more because they wre doing what everyone else was doing rather than because it is paricularly interesting being on plastic skis. They are light and easy to pack and carry and you don't need special boots to hire or carry all fo which is an advantage for a bit of fun. I din't think they had any benefit in learning to ski though.
snow report
You mean skis like this:-
ski holidays
davidof, LOVE IT!!!! How old at this point?
ski holidays
Boredsurfin has "lent" us his plastic skis that his girls used. Mouth Junior will be 2 in Dec so he will try them at xmas altho have to say agree with easiski, and think we will get him some proper ones too. He so wants to ski already!
snow conditions
Ds1 started on plastic skis, but progressed pretty quickly to "real" skis (he now insists on race skis].

Ds2 had about two runs on his plastic skis, before friends gave us some 60cm Fischer skis and boots. Although the boots are *way* too big for him (despite being the smallest made), he manages very well, and at almost 19 months now finds sliding (I hesitate to say skiing) from the top of the local artificial slope great fun. The plastic skis will be on ebay as soon as I can find them.

Ds2 was also not very impressed with the Pingu circuit at the NEC today: too slow!!!!
ski holidays
empinky wrote:
davidof, LOVE IT!!!! How old at this point?

about 3. As others have noted there are scales under the skis (like xcountry skis) that slow them down. They are good to give kids a feeling that they are skiing like grown-ups but you can't expect the next JC Killy at that age.

I was buying new boots this weekend with junior at Decathlon. He's going up from 17.5 to 18.5 this season. I learned from Decathlonman (the very helpful Vincent at Thonon) that kids need a bit more space in their boots as they tend to sit back when skiing. Junior also got his goggles, which I didn't have last year and left too late to find.

Now I have to find a helmet. Not much in stock yet. The Vieux Campeur has 20% off until the 11th oct and 50% on helmets. They had some good stuff in Thonon. Again, very helpful staff.
snow report
davidof wrote:
I was buying new boots this weekend with junior at Decathlon. He's going up from 17.5 to 18.5 this season. I learned from Decathlonman (the very helpful Vincent at Thonon) that kids need a bit more space in their boots as they tend to sit back when skiing. Junior also got his goggles, which I didn't have last year and left too late to find.

when I fit young kids up for boots, apart from only wanting X color they wont tell me when they are too small or big. dont know if people know this or if its only rental stocks but most of the small boots, once you pull the liners out, there is a clear window over the toes so you can tell if they fit. Teens, imo are the worst, I've had some who still say too small when I've gone 3 mondo sizes up Shocked When you check their day shoes they are indeed 3 sizes too big. Laughing
snow conditions
My experience based on being a typical family taking one 7 day ski holiday a year, (ie before discovering snowHeads and buying an appartment and now feeling hard done by 'cos we can only get 4/5 weeks in this season!) is put them on the little plastic ski's as soon as they can walk so that they are 'copying' the grown ups and also get the 'feel' of ski's. Obviously a video camera is essential to record that first great big smile as they actually slide gently along on the ski's. The natural reaction appears to be to walk on the ski's but they soon get the hang of sliding, gently pulling them makes them stop walking Toofy Grin Needless to say I still have the video of both of my daughters skiing for the first time on those ski's we have 'lent' Mouth.
The problem we found with proper skis was the pressure needed to put the boot into the binding was a bit beyond a 2 year old Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, totally agree, we had our boy in them when he was about 20 months old and he enjoyed just copying everyone else for relatively short periods of time (he even had them on in the house a few times before we went so they weren't so alien when we were in the resort). The following season he really made progress on a 2 week holiday and at the end of the first week we hired skis and bought a first pair of proper kids ski boots.

He managed a couple of slides down a nursery slope unaided and was really enjoying the sensation. I definately think they helped bed in the idea of skiing and he was really excited that they were his. snowHead

Cheers
David (a proud daddy Razz )
latest report
Love it!!!!! Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy