Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give me one thing to work on...

Poster: A snowHead
ssh,
Masque,

Not sure about this, the guys I have seen doing this have to have stiff boots and the carve they lay down is very impressive but mostly a GS type turn.....although thats for show as much as anything else. It used to be the best sight on snow. But I can't imagine a world class snowboarder could get through FIS slalom gates let alone beat the skier.
I could be wrong...but..!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, I've been down a GS course on both (now I'm no real skier - adequate on piste is a better term), trust me, even in freeride boots I can put in three turns for the skis’ one. I’ve just rechecked the turn radii on some of the new boards and they’re getting down to less than five metres!!! It’s also much easier to pedal the ‘pop’ to accelerate the turn and crossover from edge to edge. Boarders have much more input and control than skiers over how the wood and plastic underfoot behaves. That’s one of the reasons they’re less stable at very high speed, minor changes in weighting and stance have a greater effect on the whole dynamic. (you learn a lot about dynamics while leaving a pink, or occasionally brown, smear down the hardpack)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
question to anyone, this Epicski week is it always across the pond or do they have one europe anywhere ? that ten hour flight is a ball breaker for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mick newby, this is the third year that it's been run. So far they have only been in the US. As well as the main EpicSki Academy, there is also a couple of long weekend ones in the Eastern US and around Colorado.
There MAY be one in Europe in the future, but I can't make any promises yet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat,

I know the 05 Epicski Academy has taken place yet but do you know when the dates & the venue will be announced for Jan 06?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, usually late spring. Keep looking on the EpicSki Instructional Ski Camps forum on EpicSki.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, as soon as I know, I'll let you know, but expect it to be around the last week of January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not being sexist or anything but out on piste I see a real problem with a lot of mens' skiing. They do like to swing their shoulders around the turn - makes them look like gorillas. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, this is a very old style they are showing, to do with rotation and counter-rotation. If they would learn how to carve using modern skis, then they could have a quiet upper body, which saves a lot of energy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, Yeah, 'cos they believe that if they start skiing properly, the next step is playing the lead in La Cage aux Folles!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, WTFH may be right, but I think it has much more to do with muscling turns than it does with anything else. Likely they have never taken a lesson, so just use their muscles to force their skis to turn. They are working way too hard!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

cause I want to know what to DO!
If you're in Wengen you would want to do The White Hare run. The snow cover may not be that great when you go and there could be the odd rock. If this is the case, do ski lightly, and do lean back a bit to glance any rocks that you may hit with your skis, rather than risk catching them full on with your tips. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, to get back to your original question. Now I've seen the photo I think you are definitely standing on your heels. The turn of 1000 steps is a good one as ssh suggested, but in addition (asuming the pic was typical) I suggest you try a gentle traverse and hop ONLY the heels of your skis repeatedly. When that's comfy, try to hop only the tips. later try tips once and heels once. This will help to to stand more centrally on your skis (really) and will also help with repositioning when you get knocked out of balance off piste. In addtion you can also try traversing on one ski (first downhill and then uphill), continue by turning on one ski only (outside one natch), and then try travering on your uphill ski and rolling onto your toe edge to make a turn.

Hope this helps.

Kit Wong, You should NEVER lean back!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, easiski, I'd have to say it's not typical, cause I'm on my fat skis on piste, but I did like the photo cause it showed the based of my skis!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,

Why wasn't the picture taken with you in that damn fine snow in the background...??

That is far more important than the stance...
The snow looked fantastic..
snow report
JT, over on EpicSki, he mentioned that he had just come through that delicious snow in the background! snowHead
ski holidays
ssh,

I should think so to......!!
A criminal waste otherwise.
snow conditions
Quote:

Kit Wong, You should NEVER lean back!

easiski, You're too pampered on the piste! The only time I'm conscious of leaning back is when I want to get my weight back slightly and get my tips up(TU) to clear any catchy stuff(rocks, shrubs, tree roots etc) in the snow. In crusts of a certain breakableness, and of a certain pitch, I might go slightly TU as well.

Anyone else go TU? Or is it just my flawed technique!!
snow conditions
Kit Wong, On my Xmountain Tours, if the snow has aged a bit, then sometimes I'll (when no-ones looking), do something to get the tips up. I don't lean back though - mostly just tense my stomach a bit to stop my upper body rocking forward (as I feel the skis stopping)...this keeps me in the middle of the ski, and so allows the tips to rise. Steeper and Faster help too - but sometimes aren't that practical.

If there is a bit of crust around - I like to keep the tips away from it....is that right ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy