Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on where to ski with my Dad...

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, Merry Xmas!!

Well, its that time again and im trying desperately to get a ski fix again this year, and because of my current financial situation (postgraduate student), ive managed to come to an arrangement with my dad....he'll pay if he can come along!

Problem is, he hasnt skiied for a while, he is 64 now (although in good nick for his age), and he loves skiing, and wants one more go before he retires. Unfortunately he was always a little accident prone, and last time we went when i was younger he broke his nose!

So here is the dilemma.....i need a (European) resort that is....

* Suitable for my Dad considering all above (e.g. plenty of wide blues!)

* Also suitable for me (e.g. some nice reds)

Unfortunately it would appear that we will probably not be able to go much before the 18th of march, and posisbly beginning of april (we havent decided dates yet). This means we are likely to be going over easter period...so:

* hopefully somewhere where it wont be too busy with loads of people and kids over easter

* where the snow will be ok at end of march/early april

* pref not the 3 valleys cos i went there last year (although i wouldnt say no to going again if there was no choice!)

I know it all sounds like a resort that probably doesnt exist, but all advice would be appreciated! Also, any suggestions for some reasonably priced SC/B&B type accomodation would be good too, Dad says money isnt an issue, but it actually it is! (i think he has forgotten how expensive skiing is)

Thanks everyone. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomski01, La Plagne meets most of your selection criteria. I'd describe lots of its runs as 'purple'. Not sure about the busy factor at Easter - I think you'll get that almost anywhere snow sure. But LP is such a big resort, it won't all be hustle and bustle. I'd suggest go for one of the higher villages to stay in. Belle Plagne or Aime. Sorry can't help with Accomm. I always used a hotel. But LP is mainly S/C apartments or multi-storey 'chalets' so it should be possible.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd think about Flaine. The snow record is good, even for your late-ish skiing (though there is no glacier). Self catering is easy, and there were a couple of reasonable budget hotels when I last went there some years ago.
Wherever you go, I hope it's not your Dad's last go, but a re-birth of his skiing. Hey, he's only 5 years older than me. I certainly hope to be still skking at his age - and beyond Very Happy
Have a good time together.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tomski01, I would go to either La Plagne as kuwait_ian, reccomended or to Cervinia in Italy. Skiing the Italian side is quite sedate, but with plenty of off piste options and then if you want a little more of a challenge cross the border into Zermatt.

Even better take Dad over the border and marvel at the Matterhorn. Seat him at one of the sunny mountain restaurants again with a view, not only at the mountain but also at the Italian women that never seem to ski but do a lot of sunbathing on the Swiss side.

I am sure both you and your father will enjoy the holiday. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomski01,
Couple of thoughts:
Unless you are determined to cook for your Dad a cheapish hotel will often work out cheaper than self catering for two as eating out really wacks up the price of a holiday and half board will save a lot. The initial cost may look pricier but your expenses will be less.

If you are very price conscious you can get great late season (after Easter) deals direct from the resorts. They will include lift passes as well as half board at a pretty reasonable rate. Providing you are not fussy about skiing all the way back to the resort and the area has some reasonably high skiing >2000m you can have a fantastic time. The slopes are quiet and the snow is usually excellent untill mid afternoon anyway.
You can ski some really swish resorts at a reasonable price.

If you have to go over Easter one place worth thinking about is La Thuile in Italy very reliable reasonably high north and east facing slopes fairly quiet and inexpensive. Great for blues reds and off piste.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks everyone, ill have to ponder those options once ive recoevered from all this christmas overeating!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like Cervinia would meet most of your needs - agree with Roy. Don't know about the accomodation or how busy it'd be over easter (I'd guess like everywhere - pretty busy!) ..... but who wouldn't be sold on the ornothological aspects of the place!?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tomski01, Come here of course!

We're open until the end of April - I've never not been able to ski down to the village on the first weekend of May. We've got the glacier and lots of other "easys" for your Dad, and plenty to keep you going and challenge you as well. Be warned - our reds and really red and our blacks are real, but we do have 220kms piste just for us. (No sattelites).

I suggest you avoid the week leading up to Easter wherever you go and go for a later holiday. If you want some help with accomm I could do that too. PM me.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could try Puy St. Vincent. Reliable snow, wide runs, family resort of the year 2004 (Good Ski Guide), and some good steep reds.

Take a look at our website for more info. The Marmotte apartment would be ideal for the two of you and is right next to the lifts at 1600m.

My wife's Dad came here last year at skied for the first time at the age of 59. He loved it!

You could do RyanAir from Stansted to Turin to keep the costs down and we could sort out an airport pick up for you. We also have discounted ski/board hire options.

pete@alpsun.com
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wowo, lots of good advice and suggestions there, ive taken your advice and had a look about at prices for half borad or catered chalet, any idea how good the skiing is on the 9th April usually, as there seems to be some amazing prices (half the cost of weeks before this date)...

http://www.fasttrackski.co.uk/results.php?PHPSESSID=26cdfb500fce6377accb788b2b39b186&result_offset=0

will it be quieter at this time of year?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomski01, yes, the kidswill have had their Easter holidays by then .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomski01,

You are taking a bigger chance with the weather then and that reflects in the price. But the weather in Europe has been very odd lately and friends of mine have skied past Easter for the last 4 seasons and had brilliant conditions. However if I was going to leave it late I would book late...just my opinion.
And I would pick somewhere with a good height range so Cervinia and La Plagne would be ideal choices on paper.
Also, look at L2A and AD'H...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tomski01,
Generally April is pretty reliable if going to a resort with reasonable height The skiing is often excellent. You have to be a lot more conscious of the effects of the sun in April. Basically the Eastern slopes soften first followed by Southern etc. You usually get a few hours depending on altitude and sun strength before the slope becomes seriously soft. However Northern slopes at reasonable altitiude tend to remain good most of the day unless it is very warm. So it is pretty sensible to pisk a resort with highish north facing slopes. I have been skiing this week for the last five years and always had reasonable snow and often better than early in the season.
I think you can book in advance for the higher resorts without too much worry. But booking last minute will usually ensure good snow. Most resorts will be very quiet and it is unlikely that any will be full, though Val D'Isere and Tignes are usually pretty popular late season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
any ideas which resorts have the most north facing slopes?! Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomski01, roughly half of La Plagne is described as north facing. The old piste maps used to refer to nord et sud. On the up to date piste map the sun rises behind Bellcote in the top left corner which is East so you can see for yourself. West facing slopes are not bad too - should hold up until late afternoon. The south facing Champagny side can be good early morning late season when the other runs are still icy. It softens quickly, you have a few blasts, then you hop back into the bowl or the Montchavin slopes when it gets sticky on the south facing runs.
ski holidays
tomski01, The following have North facing slopes or a reputation for Late season skiing. I haven't been to them all and don't know how they would suit your other requirements. I would recommend a guide book to check them out before booking. The best one I believe is Where to Ski and Snowboard.

Switzerland: Saas Fee, Zermatt, Davos.
Austria: Obergurgl, Solden, Galtur, Hintertux
Italy: Livigno, La Thuile, Cervinia (faces south.I don't know what it is like late season would get pretty soft I imagine in the afternoon but it is high.)
France: Tignes/ Vald'I, 2Alpes, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Val Thorens.

The list is not meant to be comprehensive, I am sure other people will point you to places just as suitable or more so.
ski holidays
seems all of the criteria is pointing towards the same places, ill have a chat to dad...

thanks for all your help everyone, i feel very well advised with all you knowledgable snowheads around!
latest report
tomski01, North facing slopes - yes - most of ours are either north or north west facing.
snow report
ive been looking around at a few deals, and am contemplating booking directly with La Plagne with the lift pass included offers. However, does anyone know anything about exchange rate trends, as the pound seems to be getting stronger and stronger, and the exchange rate to Euros is at a very low rate at the moment....is it worht booking now, or waiting and seeing if it starts to rise again?

(tell ya what, its almost tempting to take advantage of weak dollar and go to the states!) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
tomski01, States is certainly an option - you will get excellent instruction in English - but you state in your first post the resort had to be European. Why was that?
Don't worry about Easter. It is a far better bet than now. It is often forgot that a decent piste needs time to build up, so just because the weather starts getting cold in December and snow can fall, that doesn't mean you get instant pistes. Decent pistes don't develop until January. Conversely, a metre of bashed piste won't disappear overnight. Just because the weather warms up a bit in April, it takes some time for the snow to melt away, so skiing well into May is possible in many resorts.
The ski season pattern has been similar for years. Resorts open in December with poor snow and unsatisfactory skiing. Resorts close in April with superb snow and wonderful skiing. Crazy!
snow conditions
Hi everyone, ive made enquiries, and found a deal in Belle Plagne on the 9th April.

Is Belle Plagne in a decent sport in the La Plagne resort, considering dad wont want to be doing too much carting around of skis and stuff if possible, can you easily access all the slopes etc? I cant quite work it out from the piste map. Would it be better to try to get somewhere in Plagne Centre?

anyone heard of the Cassiopee Apartments?

To be honest not too bothered how nice they are, just concerned about minimising the amount of walking!
snow conditions
tomski01, Belle Plagne is my favourite part of LP. It's acknowledged to be the most attractive (not saying much I know). Excellent access to the higher slopes on the Roche de Mio or just slide down the blues into the Plagne Bellcote 'bowl' which connects you to all the rest of the LP area or over towards the Les Arcs side via the Arpette chair. The piste map does make it look a little isolated but actually it isn't. The whole resort complex is very well linked in terms of lifts. Most of BP is car-free (they're parked underneath the buildings in huge winding car parks) and almost all the apartments, chalets and hotels are ski-in, ski-out. The Cassiopee block is slap bang in the middle. Go to this part of the LP site then click on Map of the Resort at the bottom of the page (can't link directly). Look for number 10. You won't have to walk anywhere and you can ski everywhere from BP without even using drag lifts if you don't like them. The pedestrian-only centre of the village has a few bars, restaurants, a 7-11 small supermarket, sauna, pizza place and other shops and there's a tabac which stocks English newspapers if that's an attraction. snowHead You'd probably walk more if you were based in Plagne Centre as it's much bigger and flatter.
snow report
Anywhere high in the "la Plagne" group of villages is good. Broke leg in the resort but wouldn't stop me from going back. Great motorway skiing, you and your father will love it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy