Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice on Avoriaz !!PLEASE!!

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what the snow is like in late january and would you recommend the resort to two young lads Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chelt881, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead Avoriaz offers high altitude skiing and you would be very unlucky not to have decent snow in late January. Not sure what kind of recommendation two young lads would be after wink Dare say someone will be along shortly who will know Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chelt881, What are you hoping for from the Holiday? Avoriaz is a architectural curiousity with little charm and poor night life but is slap-bang in the middle of one of the greatest ski areas in the Alps.

If you guys are looking to ski all day then grab a quick beer'n'pizza in the evening and hit the hay it's perfect, but if you're looking for a bints'n'biftas party week with a bit of skiing thrown in, look elsewhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chelt881, pretty much as 'snow-sure' as can be in the Alps for this time of year at Avoriaz I would have thought. January quieter than the manic weeks in February too. I think there is plenty there to keep two young lads occupied but then again it depends what they are looking for as Anniepen, says.

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looking to ski all day grab a beer and sleep on a budget looking at Falaise apartments any recomendations
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
do it... the apartments will be ghastly, but after the first night you won't give a damn anyway - go cheap in avoriaz, money buys nothing 2 young lads need
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any recomendations for any other apartments that aint going to cost a bomb
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no mate sorry, - just get the cheapest and save the cash for pizza I reckon - they're all the same in Avoriaz at the budget end of the market

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 19-10-08 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed in the Falaise this year in feb half term. Not the best by a long way but for 2 guys who want to ski it'll be fine. There's a supermarket nearby to stock up on beer and a good patisserie for bread and croissants (if you like them) a matter of metres away. There's a pizzeria at the Falaise which does an acceptable pizza. It's pretty much ski in/out.

Have a fab time
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chelt881 wrote:
...would you recommend the resort to two young lads Puzzled

It's been a while since I was in the "young lads" category myself, but I'm assured by a friend and his brothers who do fall into that category that it's got everything that the "young lad about town" might want - beer, drunken girls, dancing and food.

If there isn't good snow at the end of January then there's unlikely to be much better snow elsewhere in the Alps.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Falaise area is slightly outlying (near to snowboard park, next to underground car park, and most walkable from exterior carpark), but has a great ski-out start to the day via Proclou (I love it). Good pizzas in the restaurant on the edge of Falaise closest to the centre.

Les Fontaines Blanches apts aren't much more expensive than the Falaise apts (see http://www.pv-holidays.com), but have the benefit of being bang smack in the town centre - so good for nightlife accessibility.

The 'Portes du Soleil' apts are close to the main lifts (if your bag is being first to the peaks in the morning), but a bit of an uphill hike to the centre.

I've never stayed in a bad Maeva/Pierres et Vacances apartment (at least a dozen). You just have to pray that the previous occupants didn't cook fish/fruits-de-mer most of the preceding week (yuck).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really liked the skiing in Avoriaz, though it's a bit of a mission to get to some of the further flung places in the PdS. Didn't go out too much when I was there, but I can remember being really impressed with the one bar we did go to!

Have to agree with crosbie on P&V group (think maeva is their 'cheap' brand) - so if you dno't fancy Avoriaz from what people have said then try looking on their website for somewhere else.

Alternatively, if there are only two of you and you're going in late Jan then it could be worth holding out for a last minute deal. People seem to be saying that this year TOs will be forced to slash prices on package deals, so you might be able to pick up a bargain...depends how fussy you are on resort etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wouldn't it be better to stay in morzine, as the night-life is better?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chelt881, Here is a picture of Avoriaz I took in March this year, just in case you need any more convincing:

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, Morzine is more your choccy box village in the valley whereas Avoriaz is self-catering city in the sky. Certainly far more choice in Morzine, but it's horses for courses. If you want a more traditional alpine village feel, Morzine is it, but if you fancy ski-in/ski-out, and snow EVERYWHERE, with horse drawn sleighs and occasional cat-tracks, then Avoriaz is da place. For all its faults Avoriaz is unique and unmissable.

If snow is more important go to Avoriaz, if everything else go to Morzine.
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:
bertie bassett, Morzine is more your choccy box village in the valley whereas Avoriaz is self-catering city in the sky. Certainly far more choice in Morzine, but it's horses for courses. If you want a more traditional alpine village feel, Morzine is it, but if you fancy ski-in/ski-out, and snow EVERYWHERE, with horse drawn sleighs and occasional cat-tracks, then Avoriaz is da place. For all its faults Avoriaz is unique and unmissable.

If snow is more important go to Avoriaz, if everything else go to Morzine.

but the night-life in avoriaz is about as interesting as watching snow-melt so for 'two young lads' I thought I'd suggest morzine, same ski area but more diverse range of accommodation and much better night life.
snow report
bertie bassett, you made a good suggestion. Cool
latest report
We have a place in Avoriaz and it is not the place to go for thumping nightlife! IMO there are not too many places in France that can match the "charm" of Austria or Andorra! If nightlife is of importance to you go to Austria or Andorra.

That said the skiing is fantastic and convenient up in Avoriaz. It will take you about 40 - 50 mins from Morzine to Avoriaz what with going from the chalet to the bus stop, waiting for a bus in Morzine central, queuing at the prodains, and off. Or up Super Morzine, and then the two chair lifts up. These are the timings from people I have met that have come up to ski with the SCGB reps.

Have fun wherever you go!
snow report
Hi, first post time...

I'm staying in Morzine from the 28th of December for 7 nights and planning to head out of Morzine most days into the PDS. We're staying at a Chalet around 750m from Super Morzine - what is the general consensus on the best route up (i've heard Ardent mentioned) and what sort of time does it take using the super morzine or other to get upto Avoriaz?
snow report
Super Morzine used to have really slow chairs to get up to Lindarets say. The first chair after the cable car was dire, but now it's an express chair. So, I'd be inclined to come up this way than via bus to Prodains (if queues are likely at the latter), though there is also a chair up from Prodains (don't think it's a fast one though).

It just so happens that my favourite pistes end at the Super Morzine cable car, Tetras and Zore (sometimes with snakes of beginners essing the full width), and there's a lovely restaurant just up from the foot of both, so with the express chair I can get several runs done before I start realising that I've got bored of the view from the chair. Sometimes I end up missing the last chair, have to get the cable car down to Morzine, then trudge across to get a bus to Prodains and back up. Sad
snow conditions
redraj, Welcome to snowHead s. I too would echo crosbie, 's advice and go up the Super Morzine. Without queues about 30mins from base of Super Morzine. If you go either Ardent and Prodains it wouuld probably be longer for you!
ski holidays
Thanks guys... we're driving from the UK as well, so a little flexibility though obviously would rather avoid having to keep the beer to a minimum. rolling eyes
snow report
redraj, in case you don't already know, there is a choo-choo road-train that shuttles between the main Morzine/Pleney cable car and the Super Morzine cable car. So, if your chalet is much nearer Pleney than SuperMorzine, it might be worth using it.

http://www.morznet.com/gif/listings/morzine_maps/morzine_resort_map.jpg
snow conditions
redraj wrote:
Thanks guys... we're driving from the UK as well, so a little flexibility though obviously would rather avoid having to keep the beer to a minimum. rolling eyes

The car park at prodains is free - well it was in Jan this year. Personally I preferred that route as it gets you into the tougher skiing quicker, and if the Q is a nightmare then you haven't got up early enough - or you can just hop on the chair which is pretty effective too, and doesn't seem to have a q!
latest report
bertie bassett, Can be quicker to use the chair lift, but dont tell the hordes! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy