Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
telford_mike wrote:
They are scheduled to open pretty much everything on the 10th Dec, bar the lower stuff like Bumps. I don't think they're allowed to run the cannons until the first week of December.

Apparently they are allowed Wink

http://twitpic.com/7i8q8e
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ronald, nice photo - did you pop up the eiger this morning to take it?

oops followed the link. it was from the Monch. Is that where the train goes up to?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lampbus wrote:
Ronald, nice photo - did you pop up the eiger this morning to take it?

As per the link I posted on the page before from wengen.com twitter (wengencom)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks really depressing!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think, am not certain, that those snow patches from the cannons are from when the run them up pre season to check they are all working, obviously a lot easier to do that on a cold autumn night when the lack of snow means you can get a repair vehicle to any malfunctioning location a bit more easily and it's obvious with the artificial snow against grass if any cannon isn't working.

Forecast for next week still shows possibility of a small amount of Snow in the first day or two of December, but unlikely to be more than 10cm/4inches, following week currently looks a little more promising at least at higher (cooler) levels but still no more than 30 to 40cm max, I suppose if temps stay cold they may be able to put a base of artificial snow under this but it will make for some very narrow and restricted runs Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Opening now postponed to 10th Dec - jungfrau.ch
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New webcam in Wengen, very close to the Tourist board cam, on top of Central Sport overlooking the main street and the donut stall(missing last Feb?)
The link is a bit temperamental so go to http://www.centralsport.ch/index.php?page=197&setLang=2 and click on the Webcam link.

Despite encouraging & optimistic comments from the regulars on the thread I'm still glad that I've got 'till Feb to get really concerned about the lack of snow, with no real prospect of a decent fall to get a good base down.
Still, here's evidence of a token effort wink

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well it's something I guess, I'd still not start panicking yet, don't forget that unlike many resorts much of Wengens pistes are mostly down grass covered slopes which require very little snow to make them skiable, generally I'd say 60 cm's of snow at Kleine Scheidegg is the bare minimum as a guide for opening the ski area, with a minimum of 40cm in Wengen, with those amounts there will be bare patches, especially if the wind gets up on pistes above the Arven lift and down Oh God, with 80 cm pretty well everywhere will be covered but a couple of runs will be closed, Gummi Nord being one as there are a lot of rocks in that gully.

As a guide I use the webcam at Kleine Schidegg, if there is enough snow so I can't see the stone wall at the end of the platform in front of the mound that the hotels sit on there's enough snow to ski everywhere wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow cannon waiting for work in Wengen
from wengen.com

http://youtube.com/v/YZ5977gn2HI
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sherlockis, I'll be back there in 18 days time, so I'll let you know. We once had to wait until Christmas Eve for the first snow, actually worked out quite well as they were selling skipasses at greatly discounted rates. No snowmaking or internet forecasts in those days! However, when the snow came on the 24th, boy did it come - it snowed about 60cm in the village during the evening and overnight. I remember sitting in the bar in the Caprice (sadly it is no more) watching the snowfall - it was mesmerising! I think that may have been 1995, but not really sure.

Anyhow, to quote a little Wengen karma - "think good thoughts, treat others well. It makes the snow good"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike wrote:
sherlockis, I'll be back there in 18 days time, so I'll let you know.

Mike - great to see that you have switched the 'DHO-CAM' back on - those blue-suited skiers must have been getting bored standing around for 9 months! Smile

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sherlockis, Wow! It turned itself back on Smile

We don't pay for the phone in the clubroom between the end of April and the beginning of December, so naturally Swisscom cut off the broadband too. The cam is one of those Panasonic IP surveillance jobbies - it's powered by the router, which stays on regardless.

For anyone interested in yet another Wengen cam: https://www.downhillonly.com/live-cameras-and-weather/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
sherlockis, Wow! It turned itself back on Smile

For anyone interested in yet another Wengen cam: https://www.downhillonly.com/live-cameras-and-weather/l

And for anyone wanting to watch the comings and goings in Wengen, here it is in Time-Lapse format
http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/Wetter-Wengen/446-Wengen-Wetter.php

So Mike, to reference your text on the webcam page - "it will return at the beginning of the 2011/12 season", does this mean that Swisscom have inside knowledge about un-forecasted snowfall???? Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sherlockis wrote:

So Mike, to reference your text on the webcam page - "it will return at the beginning of the 2011/12 season", does this mean that Swisscom have inside knowledge about un-forecasted snowfall???? Laughing

If they can, it may provide some justification for the price they charge us for the line!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The new Bistro Birg Restaurant opens tomorrow -

http://www.schilthorn.ch/en/schilthorn/bistro-birg

Looks expensive and moved the self service q to outside on the terrace !!
ski holidays
Hmm weather still very warm for this time of year, possible snow on Monday but might fall as rain in villages, there is a temp drop forecast for Friday the 9th and Satuurday the 10th along with a little light precipitation but not I think enough for skiing, even after then temps look like they will hover just above freezing for a while, currently looks to me like no early opening of the ski area will take place.
ski holidays
Peter Lunn, died peacefully on 30th November 2011, aged 97. RIP

snow conditions
Chris Brookes, Article on Peter Lunn from Jan 2010:
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/peter-lunn-i-was-furious-if-i-didnt-fall-1869278.html

What a life! Cool
R.I.P

P.S I hope I'm still skiing at 95!
latest report
Quote:

P.S I hope I'm still skiing at 95!

Agreed
ski holidays
Amazing man, amazing life - feel honoured to have known him. R.I.P.
ski holidays
So i'm going to Wengen on the 24th. What's the chance it'll be open by then?

Is anyone else there over Christmas / NY? If there's no skiing I'll be looking for some hiking buddies!
snow report
Meteocentrale have forecasted heavy snow (20cm-40cm+) for the region over 1500m from 7pm tonight with the FL dropping down to 700m in the morning. Could this be the start of winter and just maybe they might get the higher lifts open for the 10th ?!?!
snow report
Chris Brookes, do you know if they have the snow cannons running yet?

Do you know if there are any organised hikes in Wengen? I'm going with my family - my parents would find hiking too strenuous, and my sister is too lazy... Planning for the worst case!
ski holidays
beanie1, how about curling
latest report
riverman, would give it a go. Can anyone join in?
snow report
beanie1,I can only tell you about Murren I'm afraid. Snow cannons not in operation yet.
snow conditions
beanie1, I'll be there on the 16th, so keep an eye on this thread and I'll post words and pics describing the perfect pistes and bottomless powder.

I hope.
snow report
beanie1, I think you can organise lessons through the tourist office
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, there certainly used to be organised hikes, think you can get information from Tourist office. Though hikes are probably the wrong description, I think they are normally described as winter walks, if thinhs are truly awful you can always take a day trip to Bern which is a very pretty city

Don't start to panic yet, in fact I'd not really panic until about the 20th and even then I'd only panic if a. there was no snow and b.none was forecast, at this time of year the snow arrival is uncertain but usually once it arrives in quantity it tends to stay

Current forecast does indeed suggest possible decent dumps of snow tonight certainly at higher levels, with further light snow continuing until mid week, but I'm not sure that there will be enough to ski on, with a little luck however there will be enough to help start forming a reasonable base, long range forecasts currently don't show more snow for the following week but this may well change, they do show cooler temperatures though which should help

The web cams from the area show a very light snow covering up on the First, Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg arround 5pm local time, however the temps were fairly warm at that time, showing about +4C of better news Piz Gloria was showing -4C a little later, sometimes a bit of snow seems to cause the average temps to drop in the area but not always, will keep my fingers crossed for all going out there soon
snow report
Well as I said yesterday they have add a little snow but not enough to ski on as yet, It actually snowed right down to Innerwengen but at the moment I'd say Kl Scheidegg has no more than 10 - 15cm at best and some of that is windblown, whilst Wengen itself looks like it has had maybe at most 5cm

http://www.myjungfrau.ch/de/page.cfm/cam_wengen

Currently the best I'd hope for this week would be an extra 30 - 40 cm of snow at higher levels with if we are lucky 20 - 30 cm of snow at resort level, there's a bit of a question over this as the freezing level is hovering around resort level so some may fall as rain, a the moment it looks like no more precipitation after thursday but if I remember to do so I will update the forecast later in the week, the long range forecast for the following week is certainly looking promising right now for the upper levels of the resort but it looks a little warm, hopefully this will change in the coming week as a possible heavy snowfall starting Friday 16th is indicated with as much as 70 cm falling on the upper slopes, but as with all long range forecasts a tiny change in wind direction could completely change this.
ski holidays
Well a couple of hours later and it's snowing again even as low as Innerwengen however not down as far as Grindelwald/Grund as yet, looks like a snow line arround 1150M or thereabouts.

If it were to keep going at current rates (and I doubt it will) then there might be barely enough to ski the gentle blue runs by the end of the day, at the moment though you can still see grass through the snow, if they get strong winds though even that small possibility will go
snow report
I have just come out of an operation in the hospital and currently in the recovery room...seeing it snowing has put a smile on my face !
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, Get well soon
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Chris Brookes, Get well soon

Thanks David. Just in for day sugery and now waiting to go home so I can check out the webcams on a larger screen compared to my Blackberry.

Still snowing in Murren
Smile
latest report
Oh a few new Webcams for the Wengen area

http://webcams.jungfrau.ch/pinoccioliftscheidegg/pinoccio_gr.jpg is at Kl Sheidegg looking down towards Grund from somewhere very near the piste/lift board

http://webcams.jungfrau.ch/kleinescheidegg/KS_Station_gr.jpg on the other side of Scheidegg looking towards the Eiger

http://webcams.jungfrau.ch/innerwengen/LBR_IW_station_gr.jpg the finish area of the Lauberhorn race at Innerwengen

http://webcams.jungfrau.ch/lauberhorn/lauberhorn_gr.jpg I think this one is just above Wengeneralp
ski holidays
Looks like it has stopped snowing on the above webcams but still snowing on the Murren ones ?
snow report
Still nowhere near enough for skiing as yet
latest report
But it's a start !
snow conditions
Well they've definitely had more snow, but a lot up near the top seems to have been blown off the ridges so I'm guessing the high winds are still in the area, as of this morning the Nursery slopes and Innerwengen have about 5cm whilst Wengernalp has 10, Kleine Scheideg 15, the top of Lauberhorn and Mannlichen both say 20cm and finally Eigergletscher has 25cm, to get a useable ski surface I'd suggest at least another 30cm is really needed all over and even then not all runs will be open, 60 cm more would get all but the odd rocky run like Gummi Nord open

For Chris I'm afraid the bad news is that the Schilthorn is reporting a mere 5cm of snow, I assume yesterdays high winds blew most of it away, and for anyone going to Grindlewald there's no snow so far at village level but there looks like maybe 15cm of windblown at First
snow report
I went to Wengen via Kleine Scheidegg yesterday and there were some cannons in operation. As said above, the grass was poking through in places, but fingers crossed that we get more snow this week and can ski on Saturday. In all honesty the Lauberhorn and Honegg looked in much better shape than everything else, so hopefully they have had the cannons on and will get these open soon.

Grindelwald is now white down to the Hotel Aspen or just below Brandegg, with a dusting all the way to Grund.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy