Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
It won't last long, getting snow in July and August is not unheard of I walked up to Kl Scheidegg one summer day in late July years ago and when I got to the station there was a good 20cm of snow underfoot, Generally the snow will go after a couple of days, Late October or early November the snow may start to remain at higher levels but is unlikely to stay at resort level until well into November or even December
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
D G Orf, True, but for a Snowhead it's always nice to see evidence that winter is on it's way. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very true, sadly I doubt I'll make it out there again this year, I have a customer who won't pay me teh £3k he owes me so it looks like I'm going to have to take him to court
Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
World pro B.A.S.E race in Stechelberg held on 16th September. Two locals did a B.A.S.E. XRW Speedflying and Wingsuit
http://vimeo.com/29231099
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
win a once in a lifetime trip to the North Face of the Eiger .........Ends 26/03/12

For your chance to win this incredible weekend simply tell us the height of the Jungfraujoch.
3,470m
3,422m
3,454m

T&C's:
Closing date for entries 26th March 2012.
Winners drawn on the 1st April 2012.
Winners must be able to fly from London and must bear their own cost of travel to and from their airport of choice.
Winners must be able to travel from Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th June 2012.
Winners must be in good health

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/competition.cgi?trail
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bryan Adams, Polo Hofer, Kim Wilde and Daniel Kandlbauer to rock at SnowpenAir 2012

Bryan Adams will appear at the next SnowpenAir on 31 March 2012; the third time for the Canadian superstar to rock on Kleine Scheidegg.

Brian Adams has already twice electrified huge audiences before the stunning setting of the Jungfrau massif, namely in 2004 and 2007. In an interview for the magazine Schweizer Illustrierte, the star said that he well remembers one of the best open-air concerts that he has ever played at. “It was on Kleine Scheidegg in Switzerland, in the heart of the mountains. Simply fantastic. Unforgettable!"

http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2011/09/article/bryan-adams-polo-hofer-kim-wilde-und-daniel-kandlbauer-rocken-am-snowpenair-2012-853/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone seen any skipass info yet? There's a page on the jungfrau.ch website which offers to sell them online, but I can't find anything about season passes etc. They normally start selling them about now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi folks. Long time no post, but looking forward to Wengen again
in March. Our daughter will be taking my new ( and first) grandchild
and we are really excited. Does anyone know where we can hire a cot
for a week while we are there? Sorry this question may not be appropriate
in this forum, but the snowheads community is probably the most
knowledgeable about Wengen.
Many thanks. Ps bring on the snow. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brian T, sorry can't help you, only thing I can suggest is either checking with the accommodation you will be using whilst there or contacting the Wengen Tourist Office who just possibly might be able to help
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last year we ended up taking a travel cot with us as I planned the flight times so that we could use Flyrail.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Last year we ended up taking a travel cot with us as I planned the flight times so that we could use Flyrail.

Brian T. From the many years at the Alpenrose I have seen cots! I am sure the Von Allmens will be able to arrange one. Look forward to seeing you all in March. Ian
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mürren - The restaurant at Birg has been revamped

Revamped Birg mountain restaurant to reopen on 3 December 2011.
After the renovations, guests will be able to enjoy an innovative choice of cuisine in a modern mountain restaurant with table service, while marvelling at the breathtaking panorama of peaks including the Eiger, Mönch & Jungfrau
http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2011/10/article/neueroeffnung-restaurant-birg-875/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The BOB from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen has sufferred flood damage - may be out for 4 weeks.
Should be sorted in time for the start of the Ski season (19/20 Nov?), but a replacement bus service is operating if anyone is visiting the area sooner.
Typical Swiss efficiency, if we had that sort of damage in the UK it would be out of action for years!
http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/company/media/releases/detail/archive/2011/10/article/der-betrieb-der-berner-oberland-bahn-bleibt-zwischen-zweiluetschinen-und-lauterbrunnen-eingestellt-8/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sherlockis, Interesting, I think the rail line from Zweilutschinen to Grindelwald also suffered from a flood a few years back - just goes to show the power of a mountain river when overflowing!

Guess that means any tourists going up the Jungfraujoch from Interlaken will have to take the bus to Lauterbrunnen before getting on the Jungfraujoch train.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It always amazes me just how good the Swiss are at doing civil engineering type repairs, though of course they won't just repair it they will improve and reinforce the area at the same time to make further incidents less likely to occur wink
snow conditions
The BOB is back up and running to Lauterbrunnen from today, so the replacement Bus service is no longer running.
For any German speakers :
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/114820

For everyone else!
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/114820/&usg=ALkJrhjm5bL8tiJ9w1lioAIu7q404q6rCQ

D G Orf - from the picture it looks like a substantial embankment being constructed, as you said about the Swiss - once bitten......

Still rather brown everywhere, quite glad we've booked for Feb and not New Year.
ski holidays
sherlockis, I've said it before I will say it again, any sort of lasting snow cover in the area before the end of November is unusual, and I once turned up a few days before Christmas to have no snow at resort level and very little up higher, indeed the family went for a walk arround the village of Wengen in bright sunshine and looked at teh gardens etc, Christmas day I woke up to 2ft of snow outside the door wink
ski holidays
sherlockis, What you want is some nice cold weather during November and early December, this will cool the ground down and will allow the snow guns to start operation in December. Snow in November is a waste of snow .
latest report
Thanks to Patrick Pearson for sharing -

Downhillbiking in the Valley 30th Oct 2011
http://vimeo.com/31342924
latest report
The Schilthon has increased in height !!!

Snow-forcast.com state the top lift is now 3048m
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Murren/6day/top

They are now looking into it (see below...lol) -

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 9:54 PM
To: Chris Brookes
Subject: Re: Murren data

Hi,

I've written to our 'Resort Manager' for this area, who will confirm
the heights (this may be the height at the top of the skiable area not
the top of the top lift).

Regards,
Michelle
www.snow-forecast.com
snow conditions
Hmm well the Shilthorn is only 2971M at its peak, so it would be hard for the lift to be higher than that, unless they have added a new extension.... Permanently moored Blimp with bungee cord maybe Laughing

The highest skiing in the region is actually down the Aletsch Glacier accessible from Jungfraujoch station at 3454M but not usually skied in winter so I have no idea what they used to work out the height but whatever it was they were wrong Shocked

Anyway Snow Forecast are usually wrong about their forecasts for the area whilst mine are frequently right, speaking of which.....

Temps in the region will remain warm for at least the next week, at resort level they are unlikely to drop below 6 Celsius with rain likely from Thursday this week until Monday next week, Monday may be dry but more rain looks set for Tuesday and probably Wednesday next week after that temps look like they may fall off possibly dropping below 0 Celsius by Monday the 14th with a chance of snow but it looks like there won't be much.
ski holidays
DGO & Riverman - points noted - been there myself praying for snow before a New Year trip before now - never yet been let down.
Perhaps someone should tell the slightly optimistic Jungfrau boys - a 19/20 November season start? http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ski-region/
Perhaps putting a bit too much faith in all the new snow making facilities?
ski holidays
sherlockis, they always put the last couple of weekends in November as partial opening dates with the proviso that they will only open if there is enough snow, sometimes there is sometimes not, basically if there is it helps firm down some of the pistes and lets them make sure that everything is running smoothly pre Christmas because the hotels in general in the resorts are shut until the week before Christmas it tends to only be locals that use the runs those weekends.
ski holidays
Arrived this afternoon to find the village bathed in sunshine, and people in shirt-sleeves. Everything's ready for the new season, skilifts ready to roll, snow cannons in place.

Ah well, the beer's cold and it looks like a good day for a walk tomorrow.

ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Arrived this afternoon to find the village bathed in sunshine, and people in shirt-sleeves. Everything's ready for the new season, skilifts ready to roll, snow cannons in place.

Ah well, the beer's cold and it looks like a good day for a walk tomorrow.

Mike....keep the pictures coming please !!
latest report
telford_mike, Mike, how long are you out there for? I'll be in resort Jan 14th to 21st (thought I'd see what the Lauberhorn Race festivities are like on the Sat night then watch the slalom Sunday morning) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
And here is the forecast for the next couple of weeks, Clear weather looks to be likely until Sometime Thursday or possibly early Friday next week with fairly mild temps going from +8C on Sunday at the warmest and slowly dropping over the week to a likely +4C on the 19th, this does mean that at higher altitudes the light rain may fall as snow, but it's unlikely to be more than 10cm at Kl Scheidegg at best.

Long range forecast suggest that light snow may fall as low as village level on Sunday the 20th, however indications currently suggest that temps will then rise perhaps even as high as +10C on Friday the 25th before dropping down again
ski holidays
Anyone out for Christmas and New Year?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good party last night:

Got the train up to Scheidegg this morning to check out the snow conditions on the upper slopes:

Wixi

village looking fantastic in the afternoon sunshine

Nursery slope will need a top-up before the kiddy lifts are safe to use

Ah well, dropped the new skis off at Central Sport, and it's back home tomorrow. Will be back mid-December. Meanwhile, more partying tonight Very Happy
snow conditions
telford_mike, thanks for the pics !
latest report
NBC live from Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe

Today NBC-Broadcast live form the swiss alps: "Where’s Matt? He’s standing on ‘top’ of a continent!"

Matt revealed that he was located at the "top of Europe" this morning, standing on the Jungfraujoch research center in the Swiss Alps. Did you guess correctly from Matt's teasers? If not, here's a quick breakdown of how you could have been clued in.

"Time is of the essence" hinted at Switzerland, which is famous for its clocks and watches, while "train our sights" referred to the fact you need to take a train to get there. Matt also the very first Where in the World journey in Cairo, Egypt, in front of the Sphinx. This morning, Matt was located at the Sphinx Observatory. The picture clue below was of research equipment used by scientists up at the high altitude research center.

sadly you have to watch the advert first rolling eyes
http://allday.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/10/8733375-where-in-the-world-is-matt-standing-on-top-of-europe
snow conditions
Niot sure about time being of the essence, I think 'snow is of the essence' would be more appropriate at the moment. The weather is completely unbelievable for mid-November. Just about every conversation I overheard in the village this weekend was about the weather. It's perfect for walking, but I fear we may have a late start to the skiing this season.

Hard to believe I'll be back there 4 weeks on Friday expecting to ski!
snow conditions
Cooler temps but not below freezing at resort level for the next week, no precipitation now forecast, possible tiny bit of snow on Wed 23rd
snow conditions
Snow looking increasingly likely on the 23rd with a bit more on the 25th and possibly into 26th, a little more snow on the 28th or 29th looks possible as does further snow at the start of December, somewhat cooler weather will hopefully result in any snow remaining, however at resort level total snow is unlikely to exceed 30cm or so
snow report
Wengen......by Patrick Pearson http://www.pearsonstyle.com

http://vimeo.com/31006159
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Snow looking increasingly likely on the 23rd with a bit more on the 25th and possibly into 26th, a little more snow on the 28th or 29th looks possible as does further snow at the start of December, somewhat cooler weather will hopefully result in any snow remaining, however at resort level total snow is unlikely to exceed 30cm or so

Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
Opening date now pushed back to first weekend in December according to jungfrau.ch
snow report
Makes sense, they only open at the weekends until about a week before Christmas anyway

Currently no snow and clear sky at Kleine Scheidegg temps still far too warm for snow and currently no precipitation forecast, not looking good Sad
ski holidays
They are scheduled to open pretty much everything on the 10th Dec, bar the lower stuff like Bumps. I don't think they're allowed to run the cannons until the first week of December.
snow report
from www.wengen.com

http://youtube.com/v/Fb8_xJkgwHg

on his twitter (wengencom) -

http://twitpic.com/7i8q8e
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy