Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Thought it was time to start a thread for this winter as we woke up this morning to SNOW!!! It's the earliest we've seen it in Morzine village - and we've been here 6 years in November!

The locals are muttering about the winter being a cold one but are yet to speculate on the amount of snow!

Happy skiing in 2008/9
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowandtrek, Fantastic Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw that on the webcams today, thought I was seeing things!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I saw the webcams too and signed to myself that the near-obsessive web-cam watching at work will now start in earnest! I usually hold out until at least November.. rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowandtrek, thanks over your neck of the woods with the family next easter hopefully there will still be plenty to go at
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If this easter was anything to go by the snow should hopefully be amazing again! Couldnt get over how good it was, some of the best powder skiing I have done better than the snow I skied during 4 weeks in whistler. Pre La Joux was just great, cant wait for this season now. If the temp stays nice and low it should be an amazing season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah, properly winter weather in Cham on Friday - lovely!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We officially had the first slides of the season today in Avoriaz. Took the kids up for a play in the snow. 10/15cm and fab weather. See the photos later on http://snowandtrek.blogspot.com/ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't believe this. I was in avoriaz 10 days ago wearing just a t shirt as it was lovely and sunny!

Snow already and I've got 5 months before i can return Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's sunny again now!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Snow already and I've got 5 months before i can return Sad

JayC

We may have to do a sneaky one night trip over there sooner than that then Very Happy

Oh what happened to the last thread, kind of miss the countless reams of text Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey, snowandtrek, great to hear.

bigtoe wrote:
Oh what happened to the last thread, kind of miss the countless reams of text Puzzled

I think snowandtrek is right to start a new thread - the old one was getting kinda long...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A nice little advert as well. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigtoe, Hadn't thought of it that way!

Snow on the top again this morning and quite a bit colder. The local forecast is saying we may get some more snow mid/end of next week in Avoriaz and looks chilly for half-term.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bigtoe wrote:

and nothing wrong with that in my book - snowandtrek were great for us last season (booked without realising they were s/hs)
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
bigtoe wrote:

and nothing wrong with that in my book - snowandtrek were great for us last season (booked without realising they were s/hs)
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. You would never catch the Apex Team doing it
Nina and I would rather have our heads sawn off with a rusty pair of snowblades than ever think about touting for business.
Come and see us again this year at the LONDON METRO SKI & SNOWBOARD SHOW.
Stand G190 on the gallery level, Wednesday October 22nd - Sunday October 26th 2008
Would love to chat to a few fellow Snowheads.
snow report
DallyPaul wrote:
Nina and I would rather have our heads sawn off with a rusty pair of snowblades than ever think about touting for business.

Must pop over and see you when I'm out next. I've finally found a use for those snowblades I won in a competition... wink
snow report
Delighted to see this thread is revitalised for the new season.
It gives those of us with only a week to look forward to a really good handle on what's going on and how the snow is.
Oh to be a regular-sigh-
Roll on mid January!
CW
snow conditions
Same here.
Great to see a thread start up so early.
It seems ages away until Feb when we have 1 week booked, but will be good to hear how the snow is building.

Quick question to anybody with Local navette knowledge:
If we are staying not far from Le Major marked on the below navette map, how often does the Savoie-Le Bourg Navette run and how long would it take to get around to the lifts.
Alternatively how far is it across town to the stop marked "Village Aux Joux" and would this be quicker?
http://www.sitesetserver.co.uk/morzine/downloads/File0025.jpg
snow conditions
I know it's early to ask, but any snowHead in Morzine (and surrounding areas) from December 23rd to 31st?
snow conditions
Standee - MrsPhillipStanton and I will be around at some point over that period.

Drop me a PM and I'll let you have some contact details.
ski holidays
Llew - it depends on the time of year, but IIRC the navette runs (more or less) every 15 minutes in peak season and 20 minutes off peak*. I'm sure snowandtrek or DallyPaul will know better than I as usually drive up to Ardent from our place, which is about 150m from Rond Point du Pied de la Plagne.

I'd guess that the bus takes around 10 minutes to do the circuit from Le Major.

Frankly, though, from Le Major you could probably walk to both Super Morzine and Pleney in 10 minutes. Going back you'd have a little bit of an uphill, but not much.

* Lunchtimes (of course) excepted.
latest report
Thanks PhillipStanton, walking isn't a problem for me, but I'm sure my 8 year old daughter will not want to walk carrying skis.
I'm hoping snow will be good in Feb therefore thinking we may just get the Morzine / Les Gets pass and therefore ski back on Piste B.
latest report
PhillipStanton, are you going to show me the way down the Vallee de la Manche this year? I still haven't skied it in 7 seasons of living out here...

We have some chalets in Morzine this year so I should be spending a bit more time over that side of the PDS.
latest report
Snowmonkey wrote:
PhillipStanton, are you going to show me the way down the Vallee de la Manche this year? I still haven't skied it in 7 seasons of living out here...

We have some chalets in Morzine this year so I should be spending a bit more time over that side of the PDS.

I am indeed Snowmonkey snowHead

I'll even try not to start an avalanche like I managed to do on my, errr, "mountain safety" course.
snow report
Its been a plan of mine to ski the vallee de la manche for quite some time now. Do I need a guide or can i ask a friendly snowhead to show me the way- I will get the beers in and arrange the pick up at the bottom!!
latest report
torico wrote:
Its been a plan of mine to ski the vallee de la manche for quite some time now. Do I need a guide or can i ask a friendly snowhead to show me the way- I will get the beers in and arrange the pick up at the bottom!!

torico - strictly speaking you need a guide. The locals are actually quite cavalier about heading down it and many (most?) don't even take arva gear. Whist it's not horrendously risky, there are avalanches to be had; hidden hazards and things to fall down / off.

It's also sufficiently remote that you've got to consider the time it would take to get help if needed.

Personally, I'd need to ski with you first (which I'd be happy to do if I'm around) before I'd be willing to answer the question about whether I'd be prepared to show you the way. (I know that snowmonkey is a better skier than me.) I suspect the other locals would be the same.

If you're confident off-piste then, in many senses, all you have to do is follow the tracks down the middle. But then you miss the good stuff, which is skier's left of the centre. (The right side can be avalanche prone.) You do, though, need to be a little cautious of not staying too high on the traverse - the wind generally runs up the valley - so there can be big cornices at the very top of the valley.

Avoriaz Alpine Ski School also run group trips down the valley once a week.

Nowadays there's a ski bus out of the bottom - so as long as you time it properly there's no need to worry about a cab (or helicopter, which is also an option).
latest report
Oi please stop posting resort chat in snow reports, I keep clicking expecting to see pics of a big pre season dump and am then disappointed..... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks philipstanton for the advice. I appreciate your concerns about taking an unknown entity ( ie me ) down an off piste route. It would be great to hook up with a fellow snowhead in the PDS at some point . I should be in the PDS for three weeks this year ( recession pending!).
snow report
hi guys, we're expecting a big dump here (Chatel, PDS) on Tuesday / Wednesday. Must be time to get the skis waxed Very Happy

Just to clarify that, our 80 year old French neighbour told us and she's never been wrong yet - bless her!!
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
bigtoe wrote:

I see nothing wrong either hope you didn't think otherwise.

Hopeing to do a couple of single night stays out ther this year together with a week in March, which does seem ages away (probaly because it is}
snow conditions
We are expecting a big dump on wed/thurs but.................the onions have only one skin on them this year, never a good sign wink
snow report
Can any Avoriaz regulars comment on the blurb in fallline which says Avorisaz has "whole sections of lift-served patrolled but completely unpisted areas"
snow report
I think they are refering to the Hauts Forts area, above Avoriaz, which comprises a number of black and itinery type runs, only one of which is pisted.
ski holidays
kitenski - in addition to Hauts Forts there's also patrolled, unpisted skiing under the Fornet and Brocheaux chairs.

(On the Swiss side) The Swiss Wall is an itinary and the Swiss have taken the remarkably enlightened approach of making one of the couloirs an itinary near the top of Mossettes. There are another 5 or 6 couloirs that they could easily extend this to.

(Hello zzz - good to see you posting snowHead)
ski holidays
Hello Phil. It only happens with the onset of winter, and it seems the onset is happening.

Coming out for some early snow?
snow conditions
hi kitenshi,

it refers to what they are marked as the Snowzone areas on the piste map and they are under the Fornet and Brocheaux chairs as PhillipStanton says. Definitely a good place to head first thing on a powder day!
ski holidays
fijit wrote:

it refers to what they are marked as the Snowzone areas on the piste map and they are under the Fornet and Brocheaux chairs as PhillipStanton says. Definitely a good place to head first thing on a powder day!

Definitely the places to be. I'll be at the other places.
latest report
zzz wrote:
fijit wrote:

Definitely the places to be. I'll be at the other places.

I'll be with zzz. wink
zzz wrote:
Coming out for some early snow?

Earlyish. (Is that a word???)

I'm doing a course in Meribel and will be in Morzine either side - on 11th, 19th and 20th December.

Go back to London on 21st. Return to Morzine on 23rd.

It all made sense when I booked it rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think I'm with you. I'll be here so hopefully get to do some skiing. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy