Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Liftie loses leg and sues Glencoe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's often easy to forget the efforts of lifties, ski patrollers and others to keep our mountains open and uplift running.

Steven Campbell, a 30-year-old worker on Glencoe, lost a leg when it was crushed by the bullwheel of a T-bar he was trying to fix. His tragic experience, which terminated his ambition to be an outdoor activities instructor, is told in this report from The Scotsman.

As the report states, he is suing Glencoe for £1 million compensation, and the pre-trial hearing began yesterday.

Any reflections on this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I feel very sorry for the injured man but surely it would have been sensible for him to call his buddy in the lift control room first and tell him what he was about to do ? That said they are admitting liability and I guess they are responsible because they were opperating a piece of equipment they new to be defective.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At first the amount being asked for does seem a lot. I work in medicine and there has been a lot of concern about the levels of compensation for medical accidents. However this lad has had his life ruined (one leg lost, another may go, and an injured arm), and the company has admitted liability. So, assuming he lives to 70, the 1,000,000 divided by 40 comes to only 25,000 a year. Not so much after all.

Are there not similarities to the Kaprun incident? But there the company has not been blamed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could that be the final nail in Glencoes coffin? or does insurance sort it out under these circumstances?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would guess insurance would or should cover it
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The ski resort of Thredbo in Australia has faced very large liability claims and losses in recent years, but is still going strong as far as I know. I should think that Glencoe is adequately insured.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
£1million should give you £40k per annum investment income...a college would consider it sufficient endowment for a lectureship!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Ian. You finacial wizard. Me idiot. Will you look after my few pennies as well?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm no financial expert - its just a figure which has stuck in my head! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks DG. I know its a thorny issue really. Last thing the Scottish ski industry needs is a center going bankrupt for 'non' lack of snow reasons!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy