Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lessons for my 10 year old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, first off, I'm new to this site, so hello to everyone.

I've been skiing for 20 years now (frightened me when I just totted up the years!) to a fairly decent recreational level. I started taking my son away with me 5 years ago, and he spent a week in a ski kindergarten in Verbier learning the basics. He amazed everyone and shot to the top class after a couple of days.

Since then, the two of us have had a weeks skiing every year, and he tackles everything that I do. I think I'm enjoying my skiing with him more now than the mad off piste weeks of my youth!

Heres my dilemma though - although he is confident taking on almost any run, his style looks quite awkward - a very wide but effective snowplough. He also skis without poles as this is how he was originally taught, but this obviously causes problems with any flat or uphill parts of the piste.

I know there is a school of thought which says that if you enjoy your skiing, the style doesn't matter, but part of me thinks that with a few lessons, he could be carving with the best of us!

So, should I book him a couple of lessons for Val Thorens in a couple of weeks, or just leave him as he is, enjoying his skiing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
John8771, book him in- now. Save him from the laughter when he's snowploughing blacks at 20!!
He'll probably enjoy the lessons at that age and will still be young enough to take it on board

Have fun
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi John8771, welcome to snowHeads!

I'd definitely recommend the lessons: but beware, you may have trouble keeping up after a couple of years!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
John8771, it would be best to organise private lesson(s) rather than a block of ski school as it doesn't sound like your son fits the standard mould. It may be that 1 or 2 lessons are all he needs to make the transition to the next level. Equally, having a private lesson at a dry slope in the UK would probably pay dividends.

Good luck with it all, and I hope that it works out for you both.

Oh, and welcome to snowHeads
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello John8771, and welcome aboard!

Ray's suggestion of lessons on plastic is good. A good instructor on an artificial slope could teach your son quite a bit.

He really needs to get the snowplough out of his system. Your description suggests that he's hanging back (leaning back) on his boots. All this is a gross bad habit and needs taking apart because it limits his control (particularly on steeper or deeper slopes) and stresses his leg joints unnecessarily.

It can be done in a fun way, but he'll need to be prepared to ski slowly and get the right techniques into his system. He needs re-programming!

Maybe have a word with Supreme Ski School, which is based in Courchevel but is now operating in Meribel and La Tania. Kenny and Sue Dickson who run it are two of the most highly qualified instructors from Britain. Kenny used to direct training for the British Association of Ski Instructors (BASI).

Have fun!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone!

I particularly liked the Supreme Ski School website, so I think he'll be having a couple of hours a day with them.

And Laundryman - I'm already struggling to keep up! Dread to think what he'll be like after some lessons!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
John8771, I hope I'm not too late, but do take Ray Zorro's advice: Private Lessons.
Tom, now 13 has a rather distinctive style: he doesn't really use his poles, but at least he does ski parallel. He was like your lad not so long ago, but my favourite Belle Plagne instructor (who has young lads of his own) managed to remove the snow-plough and get Tom his Three Stars. He can now beat me down any mogul field, can ski any slope and loves speed. I can still beat him at chess.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Jonpin. No, you're not too late - off to Val T on Saturday! Can hardly contain ourselves!!!

I'll definitely be getting him some lessons during the week, and if my wallet allows, we'll get a private instuctor for a day.

I'll post the results of his lessons on here on our return.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok,

got back from Val T yesterday. Conditions weren't perfect, but we covered most of the 3 valleys. Jim had a 2 hour private lesson on the Tuesday, and his skiing has improved drastically. I was allowed to tag along, and so I could nag him for the rest of the week!

He now keeps his weight forward, uses poles as though he always has done, and parallels like a good 'un!

Shame it'll be a year before we go again!

Thanks for the advice!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy