Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go in April?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been trying to plan a second trip for later in the season and now it turns out I can't go any earlier than the 1st 2 weeks in April. If it was you where would you go? does anywhere have a strong historical snow record for that time of year? I'd consider anywhere .... advice please....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Val Thorens first week in April last year and had a great time - skied across to Meribel and Courchevel where the snow was not nearly so good in comparison. Took some beginners and it was good for them to be able to ski down at resort level with no problems. Just been to Tignes - before this week's snowfall. Could have asked for better conditions considering how little skiing there was in the surrounding resorts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine if you are on a budget (DIY 3 day trip this april cost £160 inc car hire, lift pass, flights and accommodation) as it generally has a good snow holding record late in the season

But not if you are after nightlife or object to spending a week in a snowy version of Basildon town centre
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adam Holt, how about the end of season bash ? 23 April 1 May
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All those high resorts would be fine. Val D at 1800, Arc 2000, Val T at 2200. If you are not just looking at France then consider Obergurgl or Cervinia. A lot depends on the weather, but last year, at that time, you could ski down to 1400 at Les Arcs. Just. (but on my own skis)(meaning no rocks or stuff!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We're already going to Cervinia for the 1st week in feb - so would prefer somewhere else for the other trip. Val T sounds like an idea - and I always quite fancied Obergurgl too. What do people reckon on Europe Vs US/Canada at that time of year?? any evidence to suggest its better on one side of the pond than the other then??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Adam Holt, anywhere over 2000m will be fine, it's easy though, just wait and see and book the week before you go. BTW both Obergurgl and Obertauern are great but you probably wont get a late deal, all the accomodation is quality HB and there's not much of it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Rosiere, I've just seen a video shot when the Col de Petite St Bernard was opened last year on the 10th June! There was still 3 metres of snow on the road. Mind you you'd have a bit of a hike the resort shuts 1st May.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Deux Alpes (of course I would say that!) Good late snow, mostly north and north-western facing slopes, glacier for absolutely snowsure ski-ing.
snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adam Holt,

I would wait until the last minute and follow the snow...!!

The last few seasons have seen some excellent end of season snow falls and it appears that the season is getting later.
I am fed-up with friends calling me in April saying " they are skiing in a foot of fresh powder"
So I will be going at that time too....!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adam Holt, Spring skiing is usually pretty good around Tahoe in April - we didn't get much snow after March last season but we still skied into the middle of May. The season before there was a big storm in April that dumped 10 feet of snow so you might get lucky! One plus is that it is warm, and that usually means that the slopes are fairly empty since people have already started their summer activities (no, I don't know why, they must be mad!) You could check out the snow history on the Squaw Valley web site www.squaw.com

The big thing with the resorts out here is to get enough snow so that they can open for July 4th! Mammoth was open a few years back from October through to the middle of August. Or you could always try Mt Hood in Oregon which is usually open all year apart from about two weeks in August snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adam Holt, Spring skiing is usually pretty good around Tahoe in April - we didn't get much snow after March last season but we still skied into the middle of May. The season before there was a big storm in April so you might get lucky! One plus is that it is warm, and that usually means that the slopes are fairly empty since people have already started their summer activities (no, I don't know why, they must be mad!) You could check out the snow history on the Squaw Valley web site www.squaw.com

The big thing with the resorts out here is to get enough snow so that they can open for July 4th! Mammoth was open a few years back from October through to the middle of August. Or you could always try Mt Hood in Oregon which is usually open all year apart from about two weeks in August snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rather bizzarely, given that it is so far south, Puy Saint Vincent is often skiable late in the season. The British Ski Championships are often held at Puy in late March and April (this year 10-17 April).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax wrote:
La Rosiere, I've just seen a video shot when the Col de Petite St Bernard was opened last year on the 10th June! There was still 3 metres of snow on the road. Mind you you'd have a bit of a hike the resort shuts 1st May.

A few years ago I skied in two feet of fresh powder in La Thuile / La Rosiere on the May Day weekend. Cheapest week I've ever done and one of the best.
snow report
Adam, johnnyrotten has taken the words out of my mouth, check out the Ski Club snow records, historically averaged, La Rosiere has between 270 and 284 cms snow depth at altitude and 70 - 80 cms on the lower slopes through April. Last year we were skiing fresh powder on the Petite San Bernardo in the last week of April.
ski holidays
Happy days, eh David? snowHead Cool
ski holidays
Ive got my end of season trip sorted.Booked cheap Easy Jet flights from Newcastle to Geneva on 1st May for a week and i will head back to Argentiere for the resorts closing week of the season. Its often still pretty good out there at that time of year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy