Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Increased transfer times induced by low cost flights

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Given the predicted increase in independent ski travel brought about by increases in airports and low cost airlines servicing the Aples, are we likely to see the Saturday morning transfer times (airport to resort) increase significantly as the number of cars increases and tour op coach transfers decreases?

I recall being stuck for 12 hours but routinely it takes 4-5 hours to resorts in the Haute Tarentaise buy coach.
The prospect that the situation could worsen will certainly impact where I ski or at least when I travel.

Improved check in date flexibility by hoteliers and chalet owners would help in this regard.

Any comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I knife and fork my own ski trips, I mostly transfer by public transport - easy if you are going to Austria or Switzerland. Not too tricky for some of the Fremch resorts. In off-peak times, I think you will find hoteliers already have date flexibility. Tricky for chalet owners with heavy committments ot TOs to be flexible, I suppose.

But I guess many will drive, for various reasons (I have done that, too) and that will increase congestion.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-12-04 10:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boardski, to avoid a recurrence of last year's Belle Plagne - Geneva resort transfer from hell (about 10 hours on a T.O. minibus then coach. Not all because of traffic problems, I hasten to add) I'm flying Thursdays and taking the local train. You are right about the need for better checkin flexibility - it was not possible to get a hotel room Thur-Thur. I think they'd have given me it, but they are just full up for my first 2 nights. And I'm told you will not get S/C Apartments anything other than Sat-Sat.
What do the T.O.s do with all these buses the rest of the week ???? I'd love a 10 day holiday with one transfer mid week and one on a Sunday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian wrote:
What do the T.O.s do with all these buses the rest of the week ???? I'd love a 10 day holiday with one transfer mid week and one on a Sunday.

Locally a lot of them are the school buses I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most of the congestion on the French motorways are due to the mainland european and locals going skiing. Low cost flights gives greater access to the mountains for all. I imagine independant travellers will use the same method of transport they always had, Train, Local bus or shared taxi. If more people do not to use the TO's due to their pricing, the lads at a-t-s, alpline, AET, etc will be smiling all the way to the bank. Half an hour extra to the porte du soleil from Geneva I will live with, providing I get my flights for €15 each way Laughing

Happy skiing and that St. Michael O'Leary will take Ryanair to GVA. This I doubt as Geneva do not need the business that much to pay Ryanair to land!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's cyclic, or may turn out to be, the pendulum may swing back from independent travel which hasn't taken 50% of the total market yet.

I think the TO's may yet fight back personally. The basic idea's still sound, turn up at a UK airport, get on a plane, get met the other end, taken to a ski station and do it in reverse a week later. Their often woeful delivery now doesn't invalidate the basic proposition.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seriously recomend the snow trains.

London to say Moutiers overnight, means you get the whole first and last day skiing.

Plus For the three valleys and even La Plange and Les Arcs you can get to withing 30mins transfer on the trains.

Wake up, short taxi/minibus drive and you are one the slopes when everyone else is still queuing to check in !

Raileurope are v.helpfull in getting advice and routes sorted out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hodsonb, The London snowtrain is only really viable for those in the sarf east. The dover-calais is a better option for those outside London - even those in South Wales.
I am convinced it's the best option but impractical for the rest of the UK.

Stepping off the train at 0700 in Aim is just magical. 90 mins later the first lift is under your backside and you're being whisked up the mountain for the first slide of the trip.....fantastic!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley wrote:

Happy skiing and that St. Michael O'Leary will take Ryanair to GVA. This I doubt as Geneva do not need the business that much to pay Ryanair to land!!

No but Annecy do, no more surly Swiss and a charter terminal that looks like Gorky airport. It is a better landing strip than Chambèry as it is not surrounded by mountains. Fog would be the main issue but there used to be a daily flight to Paris.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, Is there a low cost airline flying from the UK to Annecy? As you say this would be good news to everyone.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley, I'm not aware of anything direct from the UK. Best journey time to Annecy from any of the london airports is around 7 hours via Paris CDG.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
www.whichbudget.com is a good site for checking out who flies where.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boardski wrote:
are we likely to see the Saturday morning transfer times (airport to resort) increase significantly as the number of cars increases and tour op coach transfers decreases?

Would think not... if you're going DIY, why would you bother travelling Saturday morning? Saturday is the best day to ski in many resorts, *because* it's changeover day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
or http://skyscanners.net - also pretty good (prices aren't always reliable though)

J2Dave, totally agree. We're flying out on Friday in a couple of weeks, staying the night in Geneva and heading through early doors to get a full day's skiing in. Skiing the following Saturday as well, so flying back on the Sunday morning. 8 days for (more or less) the price of 6!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy