Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book a ski trip to Mayrhofen in austria has anyone been here and is it any good? heard it is a bit of a nightmare getting up to the mountin and back again in the cable cars as theres long cues but this was from a guy who went in '92 has anyone been here recently and have things got better? Also anyone know what the snows like there at the moment?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
e30m3, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead e30m3. Can't help with your questions but someone will. Look in snowBase to find the Mayrhofen official web site. Can't find a snow report on it but there is one web cam of the slopes. People skiing at 1260m. Looks OK.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
e30m3, welcome! I went to Mayrhofen 2 years ago, to beat the queues up we took the ski bus and effectively went down the valley (i.e. away from the glacier) to the next gondola station, hardly any queues. The glacier is worth a visit I thought but quite a long bus ride up (45 mins +)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi e30m3, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead I was there in 2003 and although there were queues from the Penken gondola, I think the most we had to wait at peak times was 15 mins. Try to get there earlier rather than later or alternatively get the ski bus up or down the valley. Zell am Ziller was pretty good and also up to Hintertux.
And don't forget to visit the ice bar at the foot of the Penken - good drinking with your ski gear still on! Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
e30m3, spent many a year going there when i was younger. Haven't been back for about ten years though. As far as i can tell there are still a few queues to get up and down, but these have improved. I believe that they have begun to use artificial snow on the back to resort runs, that should help at the end of the day. The apres ski was good.

If there is enough snow in the village, you may be able to catch a bit of ski jumping (if it still goes on) to be found to the right of the Ahorn. Also if you get a chance, get the bus up to Gerlos, for a bit of a change of terrain. The bus from Mayrhofen is about 45 minutes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
e30m3, Queues have always been a problem in Mayerhofen, but the nightlife will be "traditional brit/austrian" so will more than make up for the gondola ride out of the valley.

As with most (generalisation) Austrian resorts the village tends to be in the valley and so may not have snow in the town which creates a decent ambiance, but up on the hill is another matter. Even if the white stuff is scarce all resorts have snow making machines (weather permitting) so you will have a blast.

Good hotels, restaurants and bars. Mayerhofen is a great choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replys everyone, All booked now leave on the 5th Feb so will be on a bit of a high until then (i'm like a child waiting for x-mas) got a good deal on a hotel for bed and breakfast at £325 inc transfers. Is it an expensive resort to eat / drink in?

Cheers Andy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is not in the high bracket in Austria, St. Anton, Lech, Kitzbuhel etc. When I was there last most hotels and restaurants offered a "tourist" menu. Three courses at a very reasonable price (sorry cant remember exactly how much Embarassed )

Maybe other snowHead can give an idea if the Mayerhoffen tourist board still operate such a scheme.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am there for new year e30m3 where are you staying? I will check it out.
I will let you know all about the things to do and places to go when i get back on the 8 of Jan.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haven't been there for years and years but I remember this.
Unless you stay right on top of the Penkan lift don't bother unless very early or late as the queues will be big.
Catch the bus to the out of town gondola and even Finkenberg. You may want to do this on the way down as well if the snow doesn't reach to the valley. I am not sure if you can ski down to the valley anyway. The resort is low...500m...that doesn't change but the top station is about 2200.
The trip upto Hintertiux is worth it but can't remember Lannersburg...!!! but it may be worth a visit as it is higher up than Mayrhofen. Apre-ski was a riot...!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The queues are not that big any more, unless you are unfortunate enough to catch the ski school run (avoid the half hour before ski school starts!). Not sure about costs of meals as we stayed half board but Roy Hockley is right, Mayrhofen is not in the 'expensive' league.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mayrhofen is a pretty good place. Good nightlife. One of the few places where the Brits are outnumbered by the Dutch AFAIK. They can out-party the brits, but without duffing people up after a few too many Grolsches. Ice bar is just mad, but if you do go there, leave your skis somewhere safer (round back of Penkenbahn).

I've never had to wait more that 15mins for the gondola up/down, and the queue does keep moving, but as has been said above, get the free ski bus to the Horbergbahn (5mins ride?), or up the valley to Finkenberg (which I think is fully linked in with the Mayrhofen section). And you also get the choice of bus up the valley to Hintertux, or bus/train down the valley to Zell am Ziller etc. Too much choice!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheap and cheerful - nothing wrong with the place. Good atmosphere, very austrian, but that was all about 20 years ago. I had fun there though. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy