Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fritschi Diamir . the beancounters strike again!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last night I was shown a pair of last season's skis with Fritschi Daimir freeride bindings. The owner was concerned about the amount of up and down motion at the heel and thus side to side rocking of their boot.

I thought it would be boot heel wear but realised that the hold down that clamps the whole binding at the rear was so badly worn that there was over 1/8" of up and down play in the rear of the binding plate.

I then realised that the new binding had just plastic rubbing on plastic and went to look at some older Fritschi Daimirs on a well used my own skis. What did I see.. A steel pin running in a pair of steel slots. still tight as a duck's ***.

This morning I visited the local ski touring shop and YES! all the Frischis models now rub plastic on plastic at that point, none have a metal part(s) in the heel hold down. I looked at two pairs on skis that are new this year and could already see scouring and wear in the plastic.

So it looks like their beancounters at Fritschi have cheapened the manufacturing process to the point where yet another great touring binding system has potential problems. I wonder how much they saved per pair of bindings... 5Sf?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
colinmcc, prompted by your post I took my Dynastar 4x4's with Titanal II bindings (circa. 2001?) out of the cupboard. Sure enough the heel fixing is plastic on plastic, but there is no visible sign of wear. Am I not carving tight enough arcs? snowHead If this design has been around for at least 3 years did the guys in the shop reckon that this was a frequent problem?
I'm about to buy a new pair of touring skis. Is there a realistic alternative to Fritschi?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mine are plastic and are fine. They are set on DIN 11 and get real abuse!

Fritschi are the only real choice as far as I can make out for hard downhill stretches...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan,

There probably isn't any other alternative to the Fritschi range especially if you want to use them as on piste bindings too. The naxo binding is well used here in Canada and although they had a problem with broken toe pieces last season they swear it is now fixed.

If you clamp your ski in a vice and put the boot in the binding, then push the boot shaft forward, is there a gap under the two rubber 'feet' that sit under the stopper? When new these sit tight on the ski and stabilise the boot/ binding/ski when the ski is put on edge. In the pair I was looking at it was possible to slide a 4mm thick ski wax scraper between the feet and the ski, with the ski clamped firmly and the scraper removed the heel moved up and down that amount.

In deep snow this wouldn't be a major problem, but on the piste I'd say it was unacceptable. They had a great binding when it first came out with a metal pin in a metal slot so there could be no wear, and the heel hold down remains tight, the only reason to have replaced that is cost/corner cutting. A big shame in my opinion. Sad

Powderhound, I'm glad you're into ski abuse, I just bust a second pair this season, welcome to the club! Madeye-Smiley We have had rain to mountain top this week and now -10 so it is boilerplate everywhere... Forcasting a big fall at the weekend though..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry to hear the conditions are not great...

Here in Switzerland we had a huge fall over the weekend, with lethal roads and no visibility. everyone headed to work on Monday except yours truly who headed to Davos where little was open in the way of pistes but the off-piste (carefully chosen due to rocks close to the surface) was actually pretty good. Dragged out the Volkl G4s and Fritschis! Now going to Verbier and to test the Kneissl Tankers with a Diamir FR on board. As long as they are stiff enough!

More snow welcome though...

snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
colinmcc, it's probably me but I don't appear to have rubber feet under the stopper; there is a light grey plastic fitting there and that does appear to be tight to the ski.

Powderhound, further to your "hints" on the other thread I have decided to go for the B3's, on the basis that I already have a "medium fat" in the 1080's. Since these new ones will only be used for backcountry stuff it seemed worth a try!

I'll let you know in January if it was the right decision! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan Craggs, A good choice by all accounts. And I am of a similar opinion, but just like the look of the Tankers! Also, if you enjoy the 1080s then the B3 will be of the right characteristic for you, I am too heavy and strong for the 1080 and had to ditch my B2s for being too wet, but will test the B3s anyway cos they look good and skied well the last time I used them, a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, you think the 1080 would be reasonable for a reasonable woman skier?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, Yes. My sister is a phenomenal skier, making most of us look like Bambi on ice. She has now moved onto Scratch as her recreational tele ski, Rossi B3 for Alpine freeride/cruising, and 9X for full-on blasting. Guess who sponsors her?! But she was a 1080 fan beforehand though.

A reasonable ski, and a reasonable choice for a reasonable skier, if you think that that is a reasonable assumption from a reasonable ski forum contributor!

The only thing that is unreasonable is getting into the Powderb*tch's TT Quattro to head up the road to Verbier, then Cham to find that after 1km the bloody thing packs up. 2 months old too! The Swiss are not being as helpful as one may like bearing in mind that we need 2 cars there and she has got mine! Could be a frustrating ski festive period!

Crying or Very sad Sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TT? Yup, that's a girls car.. you need an A6 2.8 quattro like mine Very Happy

I was on my Zags at the weekend and thinking how much fun that sort of thing was. I find the PR's and 1080's have a little too much flex for me. Easiski was saying how she liked the Scratch and it made me think about 1080's for Mrs Ise. There's plenty about I think.

My only reservation is how the Scratch or 1080 would handle on ice for he? My Zags are OK but are a handful on crappy glacier ice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, Agreed on the TT front. My Golf ABT Quattro is far more user-friendly, but being upgraded to an RS4 in the New Year! Twisted Evil And she's using it because she is happy going slower than me (not the case if I am stuck here though!).

My experience of these skis on ice is that they are not great. Designed for the park and so have a lot of twist meaning they don't hold well at all. Any ski is a compromise in certain conditions, there is no all-round ski that can handle everything well I'm afraid. Although I do love my Volkl Vertigo G4s....!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RS4 !!! That's a seriously cool car...... I'd not want to leave that in a ski station car park.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, Hence having underground parking at the flat in Verbier! And the TT for the days locally... snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can someone tell me what the latter exchange has to do with this thread? I don't visit this site to see people willy-waving about their cars or flats.

I'm lucky I've got 2Mbps broadband wink If I had a dial-up connection and wanted to know the latest on Fritschi bindings, I'd be pretty irritated waiting for this rubbish to download.

Keep it on message please, folks!

BTW: mine's an Impreza wink Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Discussions evolve just like they do in real life and threads spin off at tangents. It's what makes this such a good forum.

Happy Christmass!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy