Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan SCX skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin Guday from sunny and hot Western Australia We are heading off to Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland at the beginning of Jan. My wife and I have skied a few times before. Scotland, Austria (were we met) the former Yugoslavia (Kopanik) and Interlaken. Weve allways used hire gear but Ive scored a set of Elan SCX blue cap 183cm skis with Marker EPS bindings in perfect nick from a mate in Queensland (theres not much snow in tropical Queensland). Ive got good Salomon 26.5 X wave boots waiting for me in London. My question is what do you lot think of these skis of should I go hire again (Ive not been impressed with hire skis so far).
I weigh 70kg and am 5'6'' and can cope with a red run fairly well but generally come unstuck in mogals. Ive tackled the odd Black diamond but always carry spare underwear.
I dont know who else to ask as most ski stores will imidiately try to sell you a set of new fangled ubeaut super dooper skis that will (supposedly) make the Lauberhorn a cakewalk.
I would appreciate your opinion and feedback
Fossil Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not the best ski for moguls or tree lined slopes.

You'll want your feet wide apart as the tails on that ski are very broad and unless you've had good lessons in modern technique (since 2000, that is), it is very, very possible to cross the tails with old technique.

If I recall correctly, the blue one is the wood-core model, 1 degree base edge/1 degree side. The ski is torsionally stiff and has very good ice hold even at those edge angles, but, again, you'll want your skis far apart (long outside leg, 80-90% of your weight on the outside leg), which means that you've got to be able to flex those XWave boots pretty far with your inside leg. EDIT: The size is a bit long for you. Plan on some really sizeable meals.

The ski is fairly heavy in its own right, so it will not get thrown in crud or broken snow, but, but, if you plan to ski other than groomed piste, I would
a) consider rentals and save carriage fees
b) take a very good look at the edge-detuning thread. Especially for the soft snow likely at Kopaonik.

Marker EPS and blue topsheet- I think this one has very little lift plate under the binding if any at all?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi fossil, I can't help you with your question but welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Madeye-Smiley Thanks for the great welcome and the good oil. Ive have a squiz at a few old posts on other sites and they have high praise of the SCX although they are probably a bit dated now. How would a lift plate change the skis handling??
PS We have been to Kopanik but have no plans to return. We skied for a few weeks before the troubles and it was a great resort. The prices are now much higher and I think Slovinia is better value now.
We like Switzerland and Im looking forward to doing the Wengen run again.
Steve Little Angel

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 16-12-04 9:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fossil, there were quite a few SCX variants, both foam core and wood. As a general rule, the ones without plates were sold here as teaching or progression skis. The ones with factory plates (I've seen them up to 40mm, both hard and soft materials) were tools for accomplished high-speed skiers to carve low-radius arcs at high angles (on groomed slopes). There was even an informal SKI magazine test at one point where a fellow on those skis showed that skis could outcarve a snowboard.

I wouldn't really consider getting plates put on the ones that you have; that was intended more as a probing comment to determine which generation of Marker EPS you have.

Have you considered the High Tatras in Slovakia?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Only 5 more sleeps and we are airborne snowHead . Thanks for the info, I dont think I could get riser plates at such short notice anyway. Im going to try a variety of skis in Switzerland were we are going and may trade the Elans for a new set when I know what will suit me.
Merry Christmas
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fossil, welcome!

The SCX were very interesting skis in 2000, but there have been a number of advancements since they. If you like the Elan feel, try the S12 Fusion. You might also like the Fischer RX8, Atomic Metron:b5, and the Volkl 6*. Once you've been on them, drop back here and let us know what you think!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im writing thzis from a pub in Wengen. The Lauberhorn has been run and theres a lot of celebrating going on. tHE scx skis have performed well but you were right they are too long. Great on the icey slopes though. Im here for anouther week and will try a couple of skis out and post again. SKI WELL SKI OFTEN
Steve
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad to hear you've having a good time fossil - look forward to hearing your next report snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We got about 8 inches the day before yesterday and Yeeeehaaaaaa what a day I had. No idea what to do but had a lot of fun. Today was a bit wet but the snow conditions were still good. Did a few red and the occational black, what a blast. Ive gotta come sking more than once every 4 years. The cost of skis here has suprised me. They are far cheaper than Id expected. No decision on what to get but its fun trying them out.
Must go before I have to buy another extortionatly expensive drink
Steve
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy