Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever wanted to ride a grooming machine?

Poster: A snowHead
According to this article from Ski Magazine, some US resorts are quietly satisfying the curiosity of punters by allowing night rides in their grooming machines (though leaving the steering column securely in the hands of the operator!).

Until you get the chance, Daniel McGinn's article contains just about everything you ever wanted to know about these machines, including a bit of history:

Quote:
The techniques Bowden uses-more or less standard at modern ski resorts-are light years ahead of the primitive grooming techniques of a generation ago. Although mountains experimented with grooming from the sport's earliest days, the field developed in earnest during the 1970s. First-generation grooming machines relied on tanklike treads to pack snow and break up crud, and later versions featured rollers and other farmlike equipment that dragged behind. By the mid-1970s, snowcats featured blades to push snow like bulldozers. The industry's last big innovation was the winch-cat, introduced in the late 1980s.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have to say I would like to have a ride on a piste machine and for that matter a ski mobile.

My father was pulled behind one once when he injured himself skiing but that is about as close as any of my family taking a ride in one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure one of the 3 valleys resorts offers this foc as company for the drivers.
Maybe Val-T, possibly Mottaret? Sorry don't remember exactly but I'm sure it's possible.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if by ski mobile you mean a ski-doo, then many resorts offer hire of these as an apres activity. I tried it in Val T many years ago. Good fun but once was enough to satisfy the curiosity.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tandem winch-cats on a tree-lined piste - there is truly a sight to witness; you'll never dare park a car badly again from pure embarassment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stop the Brutal Grooming wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sister-in-law broke her wrist on day 2 last season, and the highlight of the trip was having a ride in one of these. Can't remember the resort (Europe, possibly Italy) but the ride was open to all, for a fee. From wahat she said it had a minibus-like cab for passengers. As she was the only person there she rode shotgun with the driver.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My two rides were both in Scotland. The first was on the back of a Pistenbully in the open air, up the side of the Coire Cas and Traverse to the top of the White Lady, the t-bar of which was closed after a big snowstorm. We rode the White Lady in her virginal state, smooth and free of bosums (I'll leave it there, since it's early in the day).

The next ride was just a few days later, on an even stormier Glencoe. The mountain was shut, save for a few lifties and ski patrol and the manager, who allowed us up the chairlift and met us at the top in his Pistenbully for a ride across the Plateau and up to the higher slopes. The top lifts and ski patrol hut were buried in about 20ft of snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rides were possible last season in Les Arcs. See this old topic
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last year Glenshee were running people over to Coirre Fion on the back of a Piste Basher because the pomas upto it had no snow. So I had one go then.

The year I skied at St Gervais we stayed at Bettex which was a bus journey from the nearest lift or a walk/skin up a forest track. Getting back you could ski back down two or three runs and then down the track and avoid the bus journey. It did require one short drag to be still running though. I regularly caught that lift just as it was closing and skied back down the (now closed) pistes to the forest track. My freinds left it too late one day and the short drag had closed - they knew it would be and had expected to have to walk. The lifty though told them to hang on and a skidoo turned up, chucked a rope over the back and told them to hang on. Towed them up, didn't bother stopping they just had to let go at the top - they said it was great fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The season before last, Soldeu organised a one evening a week "mountain awareness" which included a guided trip around the Piste Basher garage followed by a couple of hours as No.2 driver. I did the kiddies "disney/fun park" whilst my wife opted for dangling by the winch on a black run Twisted Evil
Alas the fear of the "american sue for anything" has caused them to withdraw this fun evening. BTW having skied many (50+) resorts, Soldeu has still got some of the best piste prep around.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dypcdiver, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead Dypcdiver.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've had several rides on the back of bashers, normally when we need to get equipment off the hill when the lifts aren't running.
As the weather has usually been atrocious when we have to do this and we're on the open back of the machine, it makes for a ess than pleasurable experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meribel Does piste basher rides, I think there is details on Merinet.
Didnt get a chance last year but would like to this year.

Been on a snow tow behind one a couple of years ago in Val D, while there was some argument over a lift in the national park or something.
Was pretty cool
Cheers
Dom
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
see, riding in their wake is cool (except it can be scary when they slow down and you are too busy enjoying the view to be controlling your speed), but i hate anything that makes noise on the mountains. ski-doos scare the living crap out of me. especially the ones that hurtle around at night.
snow report
i intend to ride a skidoo

20euro for passenger,
40 euro to drive

looks fun n e way
ski holidays
fezza, wheres that? cheaper than in serbia for sure. still those things scare me, i wouldnt like to be on one at all

funny enough, in kopaonik theres this crazy skier with a huge propellor on his back (in a protective cage of course) which he uses to speed himself up hill. i think i wouldnt mind that (as its very quiet).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy