Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - 12 December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week in Tignes. Conditions were not great. Spent most of the week on the Grand Motte, where the snow was pretty good, as you'd expect on a glacier. Even there, though, the bottom of the Leisse (a fairly easy black) was a sheet of ice by Friday, at which point they scraped an acre or so of the bumps from the side onto the piste, smoothed it out and created pretty good conditions for Saturday.

The biggest problem was caused by the Grand Motte cable car being out of action - after a scarey (http://www.ifyouski.com/news/newsarticle/?ObjectID=7183515) sounding accident. They were testing it all week, but it was not in use - which caused a nasty bottleneck at the top of the funicular and long queues at the Montagny t-bar.

From the funicular, you had two options: head down a few hundred yards on a short chair lift (very slow) or ski along a ridge, gaining as much speed as possible to make it across to the slopes. I thought the ridge was in pretty bad shape a week past Sunday - and it deteriorated markedly throughout the week. By Friday, you were basically skiing on a mix of gravel, rock and ice. I saw a weakish intermediate fall and very nearly go over the edge for what would undoubtedly been a fatal fall.

No work was done to patch up the ridge - causing a great deal of discussion on the lifts and in the bars. There were two schools of thought: the trusting said it was too windy and the snow too dry to make any improvements; the cynics that the resort couldn't be arsed to do any work until the weekend brought all the locals onto the slopes. The cynics also predicted that the cable car would be ready for action by Saturday.

On Friday afternoon, the piste bashers finally moved in and rebuilt the path across the ridge. The cable car also reopened. As the weather was warmer and the wind had dropped, it wasn't clear whether the trusting souls or cynics had been proved right.

Skiing back down to Val Claret was an interesting experience - again lots of rocks to negotiate at the top where the snow had been blown off; and then stones scattered across the snow the rest of the way down. Most of the lower slopes tended to be in similar condition - or were closed. My impression was that the snow cannons didn't really go into overdrive until the weekend was approaching.

There was a fairly easy off-piste cut-across that a lot of people were using to avoid the top of the run back to the resort. It was worth being careful though - there was a small avalanche Wednesday morning, as some skiers knocked off a wind-blown slab.

I ventured only a short way towards Val d'Isere, where many runs appeared to be closed. Did ski a closed red over there - and found it was not in that bad shape. Most of the traffic seemed to be from Val to Tignes though - indicating that the Tignes conditions were generally better. People were being bussed in from other resorts as well.

I had a great week, mostly on the bumps on the side of the Leisse - but Tignes needs snow badly. The guys servicing skis and boards were doing roaring business. After just a week, my skis were more battered than they had been by the end of the season last year.

If you're about to go out there, it's time to start praying for a big dump. And if there's no new snow, think about hiring some skis rather than taking your own...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DavidS, thanks, good report. About sums it up really. We had a long period of warm weather, the cannons were out of action for ages. I reckon anything they did manage to make they were shipping over to Val for the O.K. piste and the World Cup!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DavidS, I was there last week too. Spot on with your report, especially the Leisse, where I saw an ESF instructor lose it on the ice and fall a considerable distance. First time for everything Madeye-Smiley

Oh, and can highly recommend Mick at Mick's ski shop at Le Lavachet for ski repairs and wicked sharp edges. But, if there's no snow soon, and if the amount of business they must have done last week continues, he'll have probably retired to the Bahamas by the new year Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine were serviced at that shop just opposite Mick's - and a great job they did. Were you staying in the Toviere?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes - were you?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This could get interesting Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DavidS, Spooky..... Maybe we met?

Frosty the Snowman wrote,
Quote:
This could get interesting

In what way? Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi, Having re read the thread......not really sure Embarassed snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy