Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades are great fun.

Poster: A snowHead
I've just spent 2 days blasting round the Serre Che on a pair. Its very icy in places and these things make it very easy to cope on difficult steep pistes, much more manuverable than normal skies. I would say hire them on the 1st day to help the legs but be prepared to keep them 'cause they flatter ability.
Can't say I'll be using my regular skies for a while. [quote] I'm not popular enough to be different.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi chris, sounds like there's a decent enough covering there now. Is the run down to Chantemerle open? Can't quite recall the name of the piste... Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blades rule, fantastic on the bumpy stuff at the sides of pistes, between trees particularly,

great fun, not as fast, but still great fun
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blades are great fun, but you can't go everywhere on them that you can on a pair of skis.chris, you're braver than me I find them scarily unstable on anything seriously icy or steep.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wanted to try blades in austria last year seems i have the only ski boots in the world that are not compatable
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AD, well don't leave us in suspenders - what is it about your boots?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tried them in '03 on our last afternoon in Livigno. Perhaps not the best thing to have done with one arm in a sling two days after incurring rotator cuff tendonitis. Still, it was great fun. Swmbo had a great time on them as we were evenly matched whereas on skis she tends to "keep up". The most find, I think, was trying to make 360 degree carved turns without stopping or skidding. Onlookers thought it a little peculiar, I think. When we got back I bought a couple of pairs from S&R at half price.

AD, how can your ski boots be incompatible?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have this easy walk gismo at the back of my boot which dosen't allow the bindings to clip in i was as suprised as you hyweljenkins.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My girls love 'em. Bought them some as Christmas presents last year. On a six day ski trip they'll use them for about 1.5 days. I'm dying to try them if it ever snows again on the North Downs (not owning skis)!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AD, I've got the easy walk thingy on my boots but they still fit my Rossi blades Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AD, the latest blades have quick-release bindings as on skis so you should have no problem with these.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blades might be good fun, but i would not recommend them to anyone who wishes to improve or maintain their skiing technique. Deep powder is a bit of a 'mare, the only way through it is to lean far too far back, but fun on moguls, cos u just ski inbetween them without thought, whilst your mates try and destroy their knees with perfect mogul technique NehNeh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magicrichard wrote:
Blades might be good fun, but i would not recommend them to anyone who wishes to improve or maintain their skiing technique. Deep powder is a bit of a 'mare, the only way through it is to lean far too far back, but fun on moguls, cos u just ski inbetween them without thought, whilst your mates try and destroy their knees with perfect mogul technique NehNeh

Funny I have been told they are the best thing for getting you to position yourself properly on skis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bedfordblue, well so they are. No doubt you stand in a fairly good position in your shoes? Have you tried standing on deep powder snow in your shoes? Then you see the problem Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boardski,PG I only tried one hire shop and the bindings were a metal wire that clipped across the back of the boot are they the old style?
ski holidays
my daughter first saw blades some years ago and has used little else since. She can't snowboard - the asymmetrical stance aggravates some joint problems she has. She has some arthritic problems in her hands too, and carrying poles becomes difficult after a bit so blades suit her well. She goes everywhere on them, but as noted above, the off piste technique demanded by blades is not one which would work on skis. But her pace on piste is very impressive - I struggle to keep up with her on my skis but then I'm an old biddy. I read with interest a discussion about blades on skipass.com - a French guy who had just discovered them, and was enthusing, got a very dusty response from others on the forum, for whom blades were clearly seriously uncool and reacted as though he had come up with a dirty word (though skipass.com seems very tolerant of most dirty words). Gallic over-reaction. I find them a bit scary on steeps as well - lack of poles maybe - but they make a fun change and I read an article in Ski and Board two years ago about using blades to learn to turn in both directions on one foot. An advanced skill I have decided to try to master this winter. Any tips on how to achieve this would be very welcome - it seems that most snowheads do this sort of thing in their sleep. A high quality ski course I did once (with the Ski Company) used blades one day to teach us various skills and in particular make us a bit more dynamic. I have found them particularly helpful for one or two friends who are "slow and cautious" second and third week skiers who grip their poles like grim death and need to loosen up a bit. As well as being fun, they have their uses for some kinds of ski technique progress - albeit not off-piste. I noticed last year a lot more elderly people (like me) on blades - they are no longer the preserve of the teens. Blade without guilt, I say.
latest report
Blade discussions on this form have been quite tame compared to some of the discussions held on the SCGB site (possibly why we were booted out). Anyone remember JoePro? Evil or Very Mad
You either love them or hate them (I'm of the former persuasion) and am convinced that they can be a great toy as well as a great learning aid. Most condemnation comes from those who have been injured on them or have never tried them. rolling eyes
Off piste is a challenge on blades but with the wider blades it is possible to have a lot of fun in the off piste also. A speeding transition from piste to off usually results in carnage so take care anyone giving it a go for the first time.
But whether we blade, Board, ski, walk, or slide down on our backsides it should always be guilt free. snowHead
snow conditions
I enjoy scooting about on blades and usually take a pair with me in case the snow cover is thin - I'd rather rock hop on cheap(ish) blades than wreck yet another pair of brand new skis. Interestingly/strangely, I've also found that blades seem to be less prone to damage in those circumstances anyway.

pam w, one-footed riding on blades is quite a balancing act Shocked it's hard enough on one ski, but at least you have a chance of recovering from a fore-aft out-of-balance position. If you can get a balanced stance, then from ski experience I would say that you will find the turn on the inside edge to be relatively straightforward. It's getting out over the outside edge to go the other way that presents a slightly tougher challenge, but practise and persevere and then you will amaze your friends Laughing
ski holidays
I tried a set of blades a few years ago one afternoon. They really were good fun.

The following year, i decided to buy a pair and after one morning, my wife, her auntie and uncle all tried them on the nursery slope. They liked them so much they went upto the nearest shop and bought a pair each!

We never use anything else now. and out of the eleven of us going to Bardonecchia in January, seven of us will be on blades.
ski holidays
I am hoping to try out some blades in a few weeks time and in my late night boredom just passed, I was searching for blading info. A number of places I came across suggestions that the technique to be quite different to regular skiing and really you would need lessons, which is quite different of course to the feeling given here..... so as a relative newbie skier, am I likely to be ok pottering down greens on blades without any lessons?

Thanks!

Ad
snow report
buns, a lesson won't hurt. You'll find blades will give you greater confidence which should translate back across to full length skis. Blades are easy to turn and will tell you in no uncertain terms if you are weighting them wrongly. So they will help you progress on to doing nice carved turns on standard skis.

I've seen some people at the lower intermediate stage switch to blades and stick with them permanently because they allow such skiers to ski steeper terrain with greater grace and confidence. I've not witnessed many people trying blades and not liking them. In fact, I've witnessed many buying a pair after the first day!

But be aware, there is some concern about higher risk of braking a leg because of the binding systems used. Also, as mentioned, you'll need to stay on the piste.

Have fun!

Tip: Never remove them and undo the straps on anything other than flat terrain. They have no brakes and one is bound to 'run' away even on the slightest slope if you do!
ski holidays
OK, so tips on blading:

1. NO POLES
2. Get DOWN - a lower stance is better, flex your legs!
3. NO POLES
4. Use EDGES - they are designed to turn, not go flat, so ski them from one turn to the other - edge to edge all the way
5. NO POLES
6. Stay CENTRED
7. Did I mention about NOT USING POLES???
snow report
Very Happy

Thanks guys! I was most concerned about the need for lessons principally because neither spot I am going does blade lessons.

If the edges are the key, I presume that means I would use alot less of the slope than on regular skis (assuming a blade turn to be of much shorter radius than skis)?

Thanks again!

Ad
snow conditions
Buns, the immediate difference is to start with they feel very twitchy but within 15 minutes you will get used to them. Try a green run first but after a couple of runs you will be ready for greater challenges! You are right that blades use much less of the slope and it is easy to do fall line skiing on steep stuff. Good luck.
snow report
Very Happy That is great, I cant wait to try them out! $15cad to hire a pair apparently so cheap into the bargain!

Ad
latest report
Do you use poles with them Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
AD, I wouldn't worry. You can use blades with your boots. Any boot that clips into ski bindings will go with blades. If I'm not mistaken, the "easy walk" part gets pushed in when you clip into ski bindings? The blade bindings (new or old) will do the same, whether you need to help put pressure on it or not I don't know.

Also, my mother uses blades alot more now than she uses skis, with poles, as she has a very bad knee but wants to continue sliding without risking damaging it too much more. Blades are perfect for her as it's less likely to have high speed knee-twisting falls, and are easier to turn.
snow conditions
Blades are brilliant - the confusion and debate occurs only when people compare them to skis, which is inappropriate. They're just another way to enjoy the snow, so enjoy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My daughter - who is worried about her ancient mother damaging herself - says that it's harder to stop on blades and that I shouldn't risk them. Any comments? I already ski without poles so that should be an advantage.

P.S. You have to remember that she's seen me trying to stop Embarassed
ski holidays
Sue S wrote:
My daughter - who is worried about her ancient mother damaging herself - says that it's harder to stop on blades and that I shouldn't risk them. Any comments? I already ski without poles so that should be an advantage.

P.S. You have to remember that she's seen me trying to stop Embarassed

If what all these guys are saying is on the button, she's afraid you will try them and it will be so easy that you are blading loops around her Very Happy

Ad
snow conditions
Sue S, I don't think they are any harder to stop.
snow report
Sue S, it is easier to stop on blades than on skis. Being so short blades can be turned or skidded in a tight arc.

My favorite quick stop is what I believe is called a hockey stop. You just slam the blades sideways at right angles to the fall line - watch snowboarders, this is how they stop in a hurry. An alternative description is pushing both heels out together on the same side which skids the tails round sharply.
snow report
M. Coins fell in love with blades after trying them out one year and rushed out to get a pair - normally goes out on them for a day or so. He was a very good ice skater as a kid and effectively uses the blades like you would skates, especially on flatter bits - rightly or wrongly! He stops just as john wells describes.
ski holidays
Are blades really safer on the knees given that the bindings don't release? I had a twisting fall on mine (Carvellinos - 92cm long I think) once and the feeling in my knee was a bit unpleasant. No damage done though.
ski holidays
Blades are good fun but I've found that people who weren't great skiers lull themselves into a false sense of security and then try much harder stuff when/if they go back to skiis. Don't make the mistake of thinking skis and blades are the same thing. Also never patronise someone who really can ski and try and give them hints from your extensive knowledge of blading - this is a very dangerous thing to do!!! rolling eyes wink

You want to get a load of people doing it at the same time then it's a load of fun with all your mates cos you can just have a snow ball fight unless of course you want to carry poles. I believe this is a subject that WTFH has some views on!!!!! I hate to admit it but I totally agree with him - blading without poles is liberating, much better fun, good for you and looks better.
ski holidays
always thrtought that blades would be great if you wanted to walk up a snowy hill in the lakes or somewhere and sk9i back down, being as they are a lot more compact and lighter!

just need to work on my 'walking up a mountain path in ski boots' technique now! snowHead
latest report
I found www.skiboards.com last night..... looks like a nice website for anyone new to it (me I mean!).

No one has really mentioned the safety of these.... would I be right in assuming that blades with releasable bindings must be safer than non-releasables?

Did anyone else notice that blades are being banned in a number of resorts? Vail being one.....

Ad
latest report
There is one lift in Puy St Vincent which is banned to snowboards. So I went with my blades. They wouldn't let me on with blades either Puzzled
latest report
buns, any more info. on the ban? Why for example?

Just a thought - how do they tell that you are on blades if you use 120 Atomics? If you carry a couple of ski poles can you claim to be on short skis?

I bought my Atomics from skiboard.com. Purchased in the States as shipping and import into the UK adds a lot of extra cost.
snow report
There is little point my trying to give the reasons as I would just be quoting info elsewhere. If you have a look on the skiboard.com message board, you will find the various 'reasons' for this. I have to say i wondered, as you say, how they would differentiate! (I would post a direct link, but am unsure whether snowheads is happy my linking to other forums)

Are skiboards.com prices particularly good? I was thinking that if i liked blades particularly, I could buy while I am in canada in a few weeks.... but if skiboard prices are particularly good then maybe this wouldnt be the way to go

Ad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy