Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European resorts "desperate for Christmas snow"

Poster: A snowHead
It'll come as no surprise for regular visitors to this site, but the prospects for Christmas snow across the Alps are looking increasingly dicey. Peter Hardy reports for the Daily Telegraph on the current picture, with a resort-by-resort snow report.
As he says, northern Italy is fairing better than other countries, with some resorts in Austria doing reasonably well, but oddly there's no mention of Spain (which snow-forecast.com recently tipped)...

Here's the Telegraph report.

Also check the snowHeads Snow Reports threads for first-hand reports and other info.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The conditions in Isola 2000 look excellent at the moment with over 50% of the ski area open.

A cold front should cross over the Northern Alps from the north-west just before the weekend The mountains will at least look much more wintry all over and that piste conditions will be a lot better for the run-up to Christmas. Let's say 50cm in the Aravis, 40cm in the Mont Blanc area and 30cm in the Three Valleys and Tarentaise. More would be nice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A giant ridge of high pressure has been parked over Europe for a while, thus no snow. Looks like by Friday the 17th a change in the pattern with the ridge sliding east into Russia and the upper level flow becoming more northwesterly over Europe.
Keep your fingers crossed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And it will come as no surprise for regular visitors to this site to find me wading in with my usual "Told you so!"
Would anyone go skiing in December if Christmas was in January? So let's move Christmas.
Then we should move Easter to May-Day, and the ski season would actually match conditions, running from January to May.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, will you keep it down? SSHHH!! wink ...January skiing is great - plenty of snow (usually), low prices and few people...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, with you all the way!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the 8:30 forecast on Radio 4's Today programme this morning, the weather chappie commented on a mass of cold air about to descend on central Europe from Siberia. He claimed that "there'll be some huge dumps of snow in the Alps over the next week or so."

I'd only just turned the radio on, so I don't know why he was talking about skiing. Was there a feature on the snow drought or something? Did anyone else hear?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I didn't hear but nothing leaps out from the runnng order on the web :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The weatherman said something similar on R5 this morning, following on from an item on Scottish skiing (or lack of it)...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DavidS,

That makes sense - it must have been Radio 5, not 4, that I was listening to.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I heard it too as I was driving to work on R5. You can it see the pattern on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/europe/pressure.shtml

Looks hopeful!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish, great site - thanks for that. And my fingers and much else are crossed for early season snowHeads.
Checked out the Middle East and Baghdad will be below zero and Kuwait max 6 C next Friday. That's cold for here, believe me. snowHead too snowHead too snowHead too
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://129.13.102.67/wz/pics/brack4a.gif

(Incidentally this will change after every update to a day later)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 13-12-04 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like this site that someone else reference recently. 70cm by the weekend. I sure that is (over)optimistic and it may well not actually happen of course, but it has cheered me up. http://metcheck.com/snow/skiResort.asp?ResortID=72&Country=Switzerland&Resort=Villars&PROMO=
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Iv'e looked at these maps, digested the information, and have one question....."IS IT GOING TO BLOODY SNOW"
snow conditions
This chart shows the projected rainfall (from the GFS model) for Geneva for the next week (Geneva was the nearest I could find to the French resorts) . The rainfall is shown in mm on the bottom of the chart. Light blue means snows in the mountains, dark blue means snow even at lower levels. For a reasonable rule of thumb, call the mm cm and you get snow depth (I think - I used to know a good conversion that was something like that, but would need to check). This would suggest 40cm over the weekend, but I would caveat that with the fact (a) my conversion may be wrong and (b) 6 days is still a reasonably long time ahead to forecast, (c) any commercial (etc.) forecast you'd normally see based on this would have had experienced forecaster modification (this will be the "raw" output), so may change it a bit (especially to take in local factors) and (d) it's for Geneva, not the mountains.
ski holidays
Metcheck is now giving a metre plus for Flaine and Avoriaz over the weekend... oh yes, pleeeeeeeeze... Hmm, probably means everything will be shut 'cos of avalanches now! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Sad Blush Sad Blush Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy